Model Cars Magazine Forum

New kid on the Forum!

Hi, my name is Andrew and I'm 12.

I just started building model cars with my Stepdad last year and so far have completed 2 cars: the Revell "Kurtis Kraft" Indy racer and the AMT 1951 Chevrolet Fleetline. Both have placed in the Portland Roadster Show model car contest. The '51 Chevy placed 3rd this year, but my very first build (the Kurtis) placed 2nd over all!

My Stepdad and I enjoy building cars together, especially the classics. We have built a pretty good collection of vintage Revell, Monogram and Jo-Han kits.

Now I am starting my entry for next year's Model Show and Contest....something a bit different then most kids my age are building, the Monogram 1934 Duesenberg Weymann Torpedo Phaeton (an original 1963 issue). It will be lighted and no detail will be spared , because I'm determined to win Best of Show and First place in the Junior Division.

I will be starting a build thread on the Duesy and giving as I make progress....so wish me luck and stay tuned!

post-11959-0-12568000-1367948201_thumb.j

post-11959-0-65409600-1367948235_thumb.j

post-11959-0-54555500-1367948248_thumb.j

post-11959-0-84588800-1367948272_thumb.j

post-11959-0-94318500-1367948286_thumb.j

post-11959-0-01125200-1367948305_thumb.j

post-11959-0-70169400-1367948327_thumb.j

Great work Andrew! :)

I really enjoy our time on the hobby bench together and teaching you the tricks and skills to build and nicely built kit. You have learned a bunch and continue to improve greatly.

The Duesenberg will certainly be a fun project and you will hit it out of the park for sure! Can't wait to get started!

Clayton

Andrew has a real knack for this and is only getting better.

I'm the Stepdad in question and the one responsible for getting him sucked into this hobby :) He is a very bright kid with LOTS of talent...and plenty to learn as well. The Kurtis was (as he mentioned) his first attempt. I had talked about getting him a starter kit, and a friend of mine bought him that one as a birthday gift. When it came time for paint, I gave him the pointers, let him practice then turned him loose on the Kurtis...assuming what we would probably end up with exactly what one would expect for a kid's first model. When he actually put paint to plastic I was blown away by the perfect Yellow coat that he applied...as if he had been painting for years. He then turned to me and asked "Is this good?" :D

A few weeks ago, we practiced using the air-brush and he did great!...gave hima box of old kit bodies and turned him loose after we practiced mixing paint and practiced brush control. He nailed that too.

My dad got me into model building when I was little and know I can pass it on to him.

He and I are excited to get rolling on the big Duesenberg

Edited by MrModelT

You're 12? :blink:

Wow! Your models look better than some guys can manage after building for years!

I agree what Harry said, your builds are superb, flawless paint and trim, can't wait to see what you do with the Duesenberg ....

It is great to see there are young people out there that are still willing to do something fun and constructive with their time. You are a very talented model builder Andrew like many here have said. Keep up the awesome level of work and most of all, have fun doing it and spending time with your stepdad.

Welcome, young man!

Nice to see a guy like you who is interested in the "classics". I've always considered Duesenbergs as America's first Muscle car.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

I like the fact the he appreciates the great "Classics" as well. The Duesenberg was acctually his choice. As we were leaving the awards ceremony, he turns to me and says "Ya know.....all the other kids built muscle cars...the same old stuff. If I'm gonna win Best of Show...I need to build something impressive and unique."

"Like what?" I ask..

"How about a Duesenberg?" :)

We picked up the Monogram '34 Town Car, but it wasn't enough of a statement.....so I hunted this original Monogram 1963 issues kit of the 1934 Weymann-LaGrande bodied Torpedo Pheaton J-526 (chassis # 2554). Weymann-America had built 2 "Brunn" Torpedo Pheatons before closing down in 1932 and when Duesenberg wanted 2 more...they contacted Bert Walker of the A.H. Walker Co. Walker leased Weymann's old factory and many former employees to build J-526/ Chassis #2554 and J-548/ Chassis #2583.

It will get a color update as the tan coachwork and black top don't leave much to the imagination. I believe Andrew picked a nice deep Navy blue color with red leather interior/tan top. I think his color choice is slick. :)

post-11863-0-13361400-1368030412_thumb.j

Edited by MrModelT

I have seen a 1:1 Duesenberg Torpedo Phaeton in that color scheme and you are right, it was slick. I have built the kit in question several times and it is very nice. I couple words of advice though. Make sure the wheels are pointed in the same direction and that they are strait up and down. That can be a bit of a challenge with this kit. Also, I think the model begs for seperate window cranks and door handles to dress up the interior and maybe a better set of gauge faces. One thing that is a real detraction is the set of wire wheels. First of all I think a Duesenberg Torpedo Phaeton should have a set of solid disc wheels (not all of them do but they sure look good that way). You can get a set of discs from Aardvark Models and they are very nice. Alternately, if you prefer the look of wire wheels you might think about either shaving down the spokes of the kit wheels and redoing them with Alclad or really shooting for the moon with a set of hand laced wires. In any case, I welcome you to the hobby and to the small group of us who build Duesenbergs. It is really nice to have a young builder who likes the classics! Have fun.

Eric

Edited by Eric Macleod

Welcome to both Andrew and Clayton! It's a great hobby and even more fun when you can do it together. This is a nice board to participate on.

Thank you kindly! I have so many happy memories building with my Dad, I get the same enjoyment and happy memories helping Andrew. :)

I have seen a 1:1 Duesenberg Torpedo Phaeton in that color scheme and you are right, it was slick. I have built the kit in question several times and it is very nice. I couple words of advice though. Make sure the wheels are pointed in the same direction and that they are strait up and down. That can be a bit of a challenge with this kit. Also, I think the model begs for seperate window cranks and door handles to dress up the interior and maybe a better set of gauge faces. One thing that is a real detraction is the set of wire wheels. First of all I think a Duesenberg Torpedo Phaeton should have a set of solid disc wheels (not all of them do but they sure look good that way). You can get a set of discs from Aardvark Models and they are very nice. Alternately, if you prefer the look of wire wheels you might think about either shaving down the spokes of the kit wheels and redoing them with Alclad or really shooting for the moon with a set of hand laced wires. In any case, I welcome you to the hobby and to the small group of us who build Duesenbergs. It is really nice to have a young builder who likes the classics! Have fun.

Eric

I agree. I have built the Rollston bodied roadster and the Town Car in the past and it was always a trick getting the wheels to line up right. I agree that the wire wheels have some issues that need sorting out. I looked up Ardvark Models, but couldn't find any referrence to disc wheel kits for the Duesenbergs...am I looking in the wrong place? As for wire wheels, do you have a lead on a good manufacturer?

I love the Duesy kits, but the Jo-Han V-16 Cadillacs are my favorite. I have always felt Jo-Han's "Classic" kits were superior to anything on the market in detail, accuracy and quality....just the entire "Frame-Pak" packaging is above and beyond....but I digress :)

Thank you for the pointers and I know Andrew will appreciate any info, leads or pointers!

I would just contact Andy Martin (who owns Aardvark) and ask him about the wheels. As for lacing the wheels I don't know anyone who makes them. KennB has a tread on this forum about how to do it. He makes it look easy but...I know better. I totally agree about the JoHan Cadillacs and Mercedes. Too bad they never did other Classics! Let me know if I can do more to help.

Eric

I would just contact Andy Martin (who owns Aardvark) and ask him about the wheels. As for lacing the wheels I don't know anyone who makes them. KennB has a tread on this forum about how to do it. He makes it look easy but...I know better. I totally agree about the JoHan Cadillacs and Mercedes. Too bad they never did other Classics! Let me know if I can do more to help.

Eric

I will do just that! :) I will also look into the wire wheels.

J-526/2554 was originally built with the disc wheel covers, but (as most Duesenbergs have) it lost it's covers and got the chrome wires some time in the late '50s or early '60s. The disc wheels would make the most accurate look.

I am really sorry Jo-Han didn't make more in their "Gold Cup Classic Series"....a Duesenberg or two, Chrysler Imperial, Model L or K Lincoln, V-12 Pierce-Arrow or an early '30s Packard perhaps? I feel the Jo-Han "Gold Cup Classics" were the most superior 1/25th scale Classic kits available with detail and accuracy that rival many large scale 1/16 and 1/12th scale kits....for a 1/25th scale kit at least. Their detail even rivals some of the more recent Tamiya kits I have seen....and they are almost 40 years old!

The early flat box versions from the 1960's are the most superior....each one is packed a specific way, color instructions, tire and white wall holders, small trophy. I have two V-16 Sport Pheatons in my collection and are both unbuilt (one is still factory sealed, the other was opened but completely intact) and I will keep them that way....just because of time and pride they took in making them and as an example of their top shelf production.

Anyway...Didn't mean to ramble. I don't want to hi-jack Andrew's thread :)

Edited by MrModelT

You're off to a roaring start Andrew. Both cars look great. I especially like the Indy car in yellow. At your age, I was brush painting models with Testors enamel in the little square bottles.