Model Cars Magazine Forum

1932 Chevrolet Roadster... by Hubley

brewsterg6

TA-Daaaaa!!! Here's the mostly finished model! I have to build a trunk box, and I have one or two under hood wires to do. My takes on this kit... NASTY!!! Plastic is a way easier medium to deal with, and for the scale of this car (1:20) there is not much detail. The amount of flash at the begining was terrible as well! That said... I can't wait to find the Phaeton kit!! Wow, I'm a sucker for punishment! Here's the pics!

1932Chevrolet047.jpg

1932Chevrolet039.jpg

1932Chevrolet033.jpg

1932Chevrolet040.jpg

1932Chevrolet038.jpg

1932Chevrolet025.jpg

Hey Bruce, that old Ch-ubley :o came out real nice! I really like how you did the wheels & whites :lol: !

I always dreamed of building up one of the few Hubleys I had as a kid, like you did here, but back then it was more about playing with them instead of painting them. Probly didin't have the money for paint either. As I remember, they were always gifts from me parents, or someone. Maybe 20 years ago I did get me a Vicky and a pickup. Almost started on the pu, but wound up selling it or giving it away. Did build up the Vicky and painted it nicely maroon for me Mom. Going to see her tomorrow-- I'll hafta take another look at it. Like you say, tons of flash, and funny how the kit included a file for smoothing all the parts down.

I don't know ifn' you're a sucker for punishment---there's just something about a Hubley ;) Good job!

The amount of flash at the begining was terrible as well!

;) ;) I think the re-issued kits were even heavier than the originals with all the extra flash! Terrific job on that, as I've had some experience with these kits. Also, the original kits were manufactured nearby from where I live. The red wheels really set off the body color. Looks great!

Edited by Randy Kern

Thanks for the comments, guys. The paint is Tamiya Wooden Deck Tan over Tremclad Gloss Black. The stripe is Dark Earth, and the wheels are Testers Hugger Orange. The white walls are the stickers that came in the kit (hence the wrinkle in each one!) Oddly enough, my kit didn't come with the file... but it was opened when I bought it. The roof is a testers interior leather... but I may lighten it up a bit so it doesn't look so similar to the body colour.

Oh SWEEEEEET! A beautiful model of one of Chevy's most beautiful designs ever!

I remember TRYING to build one of those as a kid, and failing miserably. Was given an Ertl re-issue of the Packard roadster a few years ago and, let's just say, my Dremel tool got a major work out dealing with the flash. If there's ever a next time I'll get some Tamiya metal primer and a new set of diamond needle files as a start. :lol:

Thanks again for the comments... I'm glad you like it! Emo... Sorry I'm keeping the Elky... I ran out and bought another glass shelf for the cabinet to display it! Apparently it is going with the plastic...

Edited by brewsterg6