Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Tamiya Datsun 240ZG

stump

wow...that's a LOT like building a real car except there's a lot less wrenching and a lot more gluing....I'm guessing there's probly the same amount of swearing. ;)

:lol: Hey, thanks Mike. But the swearing has been in scale too.

Thank you too Justin, Joe, Bill and Dave.

Well, after a fairly tumultuous few weeks ( I had a fortnight where I wasn't sure I still had a job, but that's now sorted..)..I'm still at the bench.

This is a hefty update, so I'll spread it over a couple of posts.

Working with the fuel system, I found that a "swirl pot, or tank" is an often fitted accessory with turbo cars. Not sure if it's really necessary, but thought I'd add one.

I punched tiny black washers from thin black sheet stock to simulate the rubber bushes supporting the tank.

DSCF8746-vi.jpg

Still needs all the lines fitted at this stage, and am anxiously awaiting an order from Robert @ RBMotion.

DSCF8751-vi.jpg

Also made twin fuel filters for the rear. Simulated Holley units, they will mount to the modified tank. (please excuse the dust.... :lol: )

DSCF8749-vi.jpg

I got bored the other week (waiting for the new turbo :) ) so figured I'd make a start on the exhaust....

Constructed from 6.5mm tube, I knew this wasn't going to be easy to bend. I made a series of saw cuts at the bend locations, heated, bent, then glued to shape.

Some putty was then used to help blend them back to correct shape.

The rear muffler is a 1/10 R/C item from a "parts pack", the tip is approx 5inch in 1:1. :blink: But it kinda suits this build.

DSCF8754-vi.jpg

DSCF8756-vi.jpg

Continues.......

Ok....so, the NEW turbo arrived from Tim and the lads @ TDR. Middle rear of this first pic.

Also, this is what was to be, one of the most tedious jobs so far..... :wacko:

Tubular exhaust headers, easy, right??? Um, NO! :lol:

First attempt I used 3.2mm solder, but could not get the bends tight enough....

Second go round, I used 3.2mm plastic rod. FAIL! Just couldn't get them all to the correct shape. :angry:

So, I eventually weakened and tried an idea I saw many years ago, an idea very much like they build real race style headers...In sections!

I heated some 3.2mm rod (running low on stock because of "throw aways") and bent numerous U's and half circles.

DSCF8758-vi.jpg

From that, small sections were cut and tested, tested often, as I didn't want them fouling each other....

DSCF8761-vi.jpg

DSCF8766-vi.jpg

Some putty and some blending of the pipe work, it's getting close to what I wanted....

DSCF8771-vi.jpg

I cut and drilled a flange, ready to accept TDR's turbo as well....

DSCF8774-vi.jpg

Continues............

TDR and Shapeways sure do wonderful work. I could not be happier than what I am with their new turbo. B) ;)

DSCF8789-vi.jpg

This is actually a "2.5inch" which I think suits the build really well. I will run a full 3inch exhaust from the outlet.

DSCF8790-vi.jpg

DSCF8792-vi.jpg

Tested in the bay, it's still snug, but fits a lot better than the larger turbo I had originally. :)

DSCF8784-vi.jpg

And I'm really hoping I can get away without the need for a hood "lump"......I will if it needs it, but indications are it will be fine. :)

Front view.

DSCF8787-vi.jpg

I hope to get onto the "down pipe" later today, so I can get the full exhaust done.

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you all enjoy.

Cheers

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

awesome work Stump, its going to be close on the hood :unsure:

Thanks Bill. Yes...it will be very close. :unsure: But I have a plan....

I think with some careful cutting, the "stock" hood bulge (down the centre) can be raised and widened just a tad....just to give it an extra few mm's. ;) Here's hoping.

Thank you too Joe, Dave and Chris. :)

Well, I'd hoped to get some paint on that exhaust system over the past week, but our weather has been everything but kind..... :angry:

I did however manage to re-do some other parts and add a splash of colour here and there...

First up though, I had to tackle that down-pipe......I had a vision of what I wanted (pics sourced online) and wanted the top (turbo outlet) to look like it had an expansion pipe.

Exits the turbo, steps up from maybe 75 to 85mm....you get the idea.

NOT the easiest to achieve given the diameter of the tubing is restricted by wall thickness.

Anyways....I ended up with this (none too convincing piece)......

DSCF8812-vi.jpg

Simply made by sectioning the larger tube, gluing it to the shape required.....But.....it didn't look right.....

A friend pointed out that it gave the appearance of heat wrap. :huh: Bingo!......

With this in mind, I started to sand and shape it to smooth things out a little.....then disaster....I sanded right through. :lol:

Next step, version II....................

I re-made the top half (curved in 2 directions mind you), and was fortunate enough to make it meet the lower section, well enough to be happy.

Then I ADDED heat wrap, cut from strips of surgical sticky tape. Wrapped, painted and weathered, it looks convincing. (oops, no pic sorry)

Here is the new down-pipe with the wrap finishing applied.

Also added a catalytic converter, seeing the RB runs unleaded...and two bungs for the O2 sensors.

DSCF8818-vi.jpg

After some smoothing and re-finishing on the header pipes, they were treated to some Tamiya gold (sprayed over gloss black) and followed by several washes of bronze, copper and black.

DSCF8825-vi.jpg

Turbo exhaust housing in light gun-metal. (this may get a darker shade....not entirely happy with how it looks...)

DSCF8833-vi.jpg

And the cam covers got a new coat of blue. Looks a lot better than the black.

DSCF8834-vi.jpg

Inlet plenum in black. I have seen them in rough cast ali, polished ali, colour coded to the motor...whatever you want. I decided on black. :)

The main body has had a slight buffing with graphite powder, giving a slight luster without being overly shiny.....

Also started with the electrics.... :wacko:

DSCF8843-vi.jpg

Continues.......

Once I'd started with wiring, I knew where it was heading....a place I'm not sure I really wanted to venture to............... :lol: Fuel injection!

I knew from the outset that this would prove challenging, even though it is in a large scale, the connections are still kinda small....

I had decided that with the custom plenum with separate fuel rail, there would be a need for individual injectors. :unsure:

Pictorial evidence I don't have (forgot all the during pics :( ) but you may remember back to this pic.??

The injector ports are the round boss' at the top of each runner.

I made each injector from several round tubes/rods, beveled at one end, drilled (on a 45deg angle) ready to accept a triangulated piece with an electrical fitting.

DSCF8680-vi.jpg

This is how it all ended up. All in black (makes it hard to see properly, sorry) Green connectors are resin aftermarket items.

DSCF8848-vi.jpg

But, before this...there was LOTS of fun...............NOT! :lol:

1st loom...............the ends started breaking off as I was attaching them.....

DSCF8838-vi.jpg

2nd loom.....just didn't do it for me. :(

DSCF8844-vi.jpg

Eventually, combined ideas.................. :D

DSCF8846-vi.jpg

Giving this result. I'm really quite pleased with how it looks.

DSCF8854-vi.jpg

With a dry fit ready, I am very excited to have got this done and out of the way.....leaving me free to finish the rest of the wiring. :)

DSCF8850-vi.jpg

All neat and reasonably tidy......

DSCF8852-vi.jpg

Wiring for the alternator (already done), oil pressure sender, a couple of sensors for the block, O2 senders and a few other odds'n'ends, I reckon I'll be over wiring when it's completed. :lol:

Hope to have some more for you soon.

Thanks for stopping in, and I hope you enjoy the work.

Cheers

Greg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hope we enjoy the work ??? We love it. Hope you're making more progress.

Hey, thanks Rom, Joe, Bill, Dave and Gary. :)

Unfortunately, progress has ground pretty much to that of a slow snail......hot weather just doesn't do it for me, as far as sitting at work benches go. :(

It's definitely not dead in the water though...I've left it scattered on the bench, so it's there to remind me. :lol:

I've also been waiting on getting some more wheels/tyres....been on order at the caster since last September, and they are finally ready. He's been really busy.

I require a spare set myself for the #2 car, and have a few sets coming for customers.

More soon hopefully gang. ;)

Cheers

Greg

• 3 weeks later...

Hehehe, hey, thanks Gary and Dave. :)

Yeah, well the weather down here has gone from hot to wet. I'd gladly ship over a couple of container loads of that for you'll. :lol:

The river behind my place (a little too close for comfort) has been up and down so much recently, I think it's set itself at a new height now. :wacko: Too high......

So yeah, modelling is still on the back-burner....they say we'll be lucky to get 4 or 5 fine days during May. :(

On a side note, (and I hope I don't get scolded) I have a few sets of my wheels/tyres available again. PM me if you wish to inquire. ;)Limited stock.

Greg, you been on this rascal for so long that taken a few more to make it PERFECT isn't a problem,Bro! Your still as sharp as ever! Wait till you feel it again,than just give it hell! Your doin an OUTSTANDING job of it so far! ONE of these days I DO truley hope ta make it to "Dragalogalong" so we can share a Coke in Paradise!!!!

Thanks George and Marshall. :D

George, you always have something great to add, even when I'm in an unproductive mood man, thanks heaps bud. ;)

I DO promise to get something here for you to look at again one day soon...... :P

And I'll take you up on that Coke when ever you get a chance to get down here mate, you know that. Was gonna say we could share something a tad stronger, but our beloved "Pub" got burned down a week ago. :(

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...