Model Cars Magazine Forum

Does Castrol Super Clean have a Shelf Life Once Opened?

Just tried stripping a model with my tub full of trusty castrol Super Clean ( Purple Power ) and after a three day bath, I was surprised to find that it barely touched the paint. I've had this jug for about two years and have been using it regularly the last few weeks for stripping some old built ups. I keep it in a plastic sealed ( but not air tight ) container and it's been working great right up until this model. Or could the issue be the type of paint used?? I scrubbed the body clean under hot water with a stiff bristle brush like I always do, but most of the paint is still on the model. I'll get in touch with the man who I got the truck from and see if it was him who painted it and what kind of paint he used.

One final question, if I can;t get the paint off the body, can I prime over the remaining blue paint with no ill effects if I let the model sit for a week or so to let any solvents from the cleaner that may be in the paint gas off? The paint build up wasn't heavy and it was two toned and I am going to two tone it again, but with dfferent colors. Has anyone had this happen to them? The cleaner has removed pretty the paint from everything that I have immersed in it.

As long as the bottle is kept in a cool dark place, out of direct sunlight and with a tight lid, the chemical ( Super-Clean ) should have a self life of two years. I have a gallon jug of Simple Green, that is three years old and still works like the day I opened it.

Have you ever tried to filter the paint from the purple pond? The paint that came off the other models sometime needs to be strained out. I find mine works better when it is warm outside also. You should be ok this time of year. Try oven cleaner on it if the pond does not touch it. I have had a few paints that were hard to get off. careful scuffing of the paint still on thebody might also help.