Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '57 Ford Custom 2'n1

The only pictuers of the factory Ford unit are like the one I posted a couple of pages back. Can you find any pics of the"box" that comes in the kit as being factory correct?

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the kit today. Overall, very nice! The one thing that immediately jumped out and kind of let me down was the flat and inaccurate front splash pan. There should be a dip on the outer edge. Not much of an issue if you are mounting a front bumper, but for those of us who want to do a bumperless gasser/drag version, its gonna look a little funny. Wish they just went the extra mile on such an important body part. But, again, overall this is an awesome looking kit and I can't wait to dive head first into it.

• 2 months later...

Or a Ranch Wagon. Or a new Country Squire. All the wagons used the short wheelbase.

Looks like JImmy Flintstone has a 4-door wagon body available, which I assume is this an old conversion based on the AMT '57 Fairlane, and not based on and/or intended to be used with the new Revell kit?:

69dd0feb-eb5f-4292-b52d-4146da173fa2.jpg

Can someone who has one of these kits in hand help me? I need the measurements of the door glass size, and the length of the door? I need them is a project to correct an old Revell 57 Ranchero kit to stock. Thanks in advance.

I was wondering is someone had started doing that, and if there was a corrected Ranchero conversion already available in resin, but I'm guessing not based on all the work you're doing.

I believe that J-F resin Country Sedan is based on the "One & Only" Revell 57 'Squire.

It would most likely fit the rev 'Ranchero' chassis as that is what it came from!

You Could use the AMT Fairlane, but would need to section the chassis

to reduce the wheelbase.

You will likely have to modify the Rev Custom's chassis to fit too.

Just got my copy. As mentioned, the crisp detailing is quite exciting. So why is the most garish ridge on the model right in the usual place on the outer bumper and covered in chrome? I'd be interested in knowing why that's still the only place to put a seam and why it's the worst of any seam in the rest of an otherwise almost flawless kit?

• 3 weeks later...

imagesqtbnANd9GcQDe7XGnEvQTxZX48THf_zps2

Bottom one is a dual-carb E-code car, that aircleaner was unique to the big car, the E-code T-bird's was similar, but oval shaped. AMT's 56 Ford Vic has a very simplified version of one. Kinda hoping Revell throws one into the supercharged F-code NASCAR special when they get around to it (we know it's coming...)

The red-painted aircleaners look cool, I'm sure they probably had them as well. The ones used on MEL's were a lurid bright green, along with the valve covers.

Hmm me think that wasn't cooled entirely prior to getting ejected out of the mold. The easiest thing (unless your LHS is over hill and dale) is take it back to your place of purchase and get a replacement. Any reputable shop will have a way to deal with Great Plains in regards to getting a refund (aka replacement kit) for their inventory and supply you with a kit with something less appearing to have been rear ended by a cement truck.

You're looking at 2-4 weeks (my last replacement part was almost 2 weeks to the day I requested it) for them to get a new frame out to you, presuming they don't want you to crate that one up on your own dime and send it to them so they can examine it.

I doubt very much that they will want it back. I got one these with a really bad rear window (must've been out of the same shot as that frame). & they sent me a new body after filling out the forms online.

• 8 months later...

To me, the Revell '57 has a "heavy" look to the front end. The header panel between the fenders looks too thick and the bumper looks like it extends too far forward making the ends also look too long. Those issues can be fixed pretty easily though. I'll find out when I build mine.

To me, the Revell '57 has a "heavy" look to the front end. The header panel between the fenders looks too thick and the bumper looks like it extends too far forward making the ends also look too long. Those issues can be fixed pretty easily though. I'll find out when I build mine.

That's what I'm talking about!!!!! That region is the one that gives me problems!!!

Sideways the model looks sharp, the front end is the issue.

Can someone who has one of these kits in hand help me? I need the measurements of the door glass size, and the length of the door? I need them is a project to correct an old Revell 57 Ranchero kit to stock. Thanks in advance.

Ranchero was a version of the two-door station wagon body, which used the same doors as the Tudor sedans. That was pretty much the standard across the US auto industry back then.

Art