Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question for members from Pro Tech

Hey everyone, I have been looking into possibly offering credit card service for orders (orders taken by phone only). I wanted to get your feedback if this would make it easier for those of you that are and are not my current customers. I need to evaluate if it will pay for the charges that I will incur.

Thanks for your response,

Charlie

Pro Tech

Credit card sales is a necessary evil ,,,,,,,,IMO.

I pay a monthly service fee regardless if I use the merchant service or not , also pay an additional fee becauee I have a wireless terminal for shows. if I don't sell a single thing via credit cards sales it still costs me about $60 (thats never happend btw ,,,,although I have got real close in the past few months )

I also do paypal ( currently ebay only though ) and I don't pay any fees if I don't use them for a sale .

Both have there vices , especially Paypal

IF you get a chargeback most merchants will take into considerations from both sides , Paypal could care less about the seller and in every instance ( that I am aware ) of has sided with the buyer

Charlie ,

I use Paypal , and it's well worth it ! Thus far , only one problem ( yes. , paypal sided with the idiot ) . He returned the DVD , I refunded the money . You'll see your sales increase , that's a given . I haven't regretted it for one minute !

A word of advice .... Set up a separate free checking account to accept the paypal payments . Once the money is deposited , you can then transfer it over to a different account . This way your main bank accounts are kept safe if hacking should occur .

Donn Yost

That's one regret I have with Paypal Donn. I'm paid by the US Government, one time per month. They give you a Mastercard that can be used as a Debit or Credit Card when making a transaction. My paycheck is direct deposited one time per month the third of each month therefore having the Debit/Credit card I have no need for a checking account. When I created my paypal account, I linked my Debit/Credit card to my paypal account. Because I don't have a checking or savings account I was never able to get verified because I couldn't link a checking or savings account to my paypal account. I can pay for items with the paypal account the same as having an account linked to my account but I can never with drawl money from my paypal account even if someone should pay me through paypal because the balance is just listed as a credit through Paypal. When I check my balance on my paypal account, it always reads $0.00 even though there's Thousands of dollars on my Debit/Credit card account. Its a weird setup but its how I'm set up so I have to deal with it.

That's one regret I have with Paypal Donn. I'm paid by the US Government, one time per month. They give you a Mastercard that can be used as a Debit or Credit Card when making a transaction. My paycheck is direct deposited one time per month the third of each month therefore having the Debit/Credit card I have no need for a checking account. When I created my paypal account, I linked my Debit/Credit card to my paypal account. Because I don't have a checking or savings account I was never able to get verified because I couldn't link a checking or savings account to my paypal account. I can pay for items with the paypal account the same as having an account linked to my account but I can never with drawl money from my paypal account even if someone should pay me through paypal because the balance is just listed as a credit through Paypal. When I check my balance on my paypal account, it always reads $0.00 even though there's Thousands of dollars on my Debit/Credit card account. Its a weird setup but its how I'm set up so I have to deal with it.

So why don't you just open up a normal checking account somewhere and get yourself a paypal account?

I always use PayPal. One or two clicks and it's done - and makes the urge to buy much easier, and more secure for me, than having to fill out credit card numbers, etc. I don't like to share card numbers with new parties, and I'm already registered with PayPal, which has satisfactory security backup..

Edited by sjordan2

I think you will be amazed at how much more business will come your way if you accept credit cards. I have yet to get a paypal account (mostly laziness) but will whip out the Visa if I seem something I want or need.

It might result in you having to charge more for the product or adding a slight service charge for credit card orders but in the end it may be unnecessary if the increase in business generates enough profit to offset the extra costs.

It would be great if you can take online orders by Pay Pal or credit card, so I can order direct from you.

The reason I can't buy from you direct before is the money order issue, the fee almost always costs more than the order itself and I'd need to get it during lunch hour, when everyone is going to the bank at the same time. I bought them from Model Express before, but it appears I'll need to find a new outlet soon and I hope I can finally get them directly from the source.

With credit card the setup will be more complicated with the online shop and such, but with Pay Pal you would not need to change much from your existing setup. Just send a Pay Pal request to your customers when they placed their order.

Edited by fumi

Being an owner of an old Mini I buy a good deal of it's parts online or by over the phone, catalog sales from both

domestic and foriegn vendors. Secure credit / debit sales add an element of security for everyone involved. I have

been refused sales if using a domestic (US) money orders from overseas vendors who only want an international

money order that they don't get charged to cash. (Which on the buyer's end in a pain to find.)

I would be more likely to purchase from nearly any company who either offers secure online Credit / Debit Card sales

or Pay-Pal. I know that Debit Card and Pay-Pal have transaction fees associated with them, in most cases I would

be willing to bear some reasonable part of that fee. I purchase nearly everything on a cash basis, which includes checks.

I have had a vendor or two hang onto a check for almost 90 days and have had to contact them to process the check.

So if I am able to cut the check of money order out of the deal I will in a heartbeat!

Edited by Skip

CC would be great for those with CC. I'm one of those who dont have a CC. I purchase from those after market companies that offer PayPal. I'd love to be able to order from you , but the current method is too much of a hassle, Pay Pal would be great, I'd be ordering from you on a regular basis, I'm sure many more would as well.

--- Mike

I am happy to use a check or money order. My bigger concern is getting the stuff I order. I am starting an extreme NASCAR build so I have been going over your website for some of the things I need. Since you have a good reputation I will gladly send payment in the mail. In some cases I have even gotten my stuff faster by mailing in payment, another vendor who does Ship fittings, gold medal models does not have online ordering, I sent a check and had my PE set in less than a week.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback, I really appreciate it. I am going to further evaluate the CC option and will also look further into Paypal. Thanks also to all that continue to support Pro Tech with our current payment terms. Just to let everyone know with our current terms I can take your order over the phone (or you can send it via email), I will give you a total then you just have to mail the check/MO, no order form to fill out.

Charlie

Pro Tech

So why don't you just open up a normal checking account somewhere and get yourself a paypal account?

I already have a paypal account just not a checking account. I actually don't want a checking account. As a youngster back in my Tommy Toughnuts, inmature think I'm a badass days, checking accounts got me in trouble. Better off with the setup i have.

It would be great if you can take online orders by Pay Pal or credit card, so I can order direct from you.

The reason I can't buy from you direct before is the money order issue, the fee almost always costs more than the order itself and I'd need to get it during lunch hour, when everyone is going to the bank at the same time.

You can always goto the Post Office or any Western Union store to get a money order verses the bank. I prefer a USPS money order when Im being paid for something, reason being if its a money order from the Postal Service, any post office will cash the money order for you not to mention you can avoid the long lines during lunch break at the bank.

You can always goto the Post Office or any Western Union store to get a money order verses the bank. I prefer a USPS money order when Im being paid for something, reason being if its a money order from the Postal Service, any post office will cash the money order for you not to mention you can avoid the long lines during lunch break at the bank.

Our post office cannot do remittance to the US any more. In any case, their lines are even longer and their fees are higher than the bank.

I already have a paypal account just not a checking account. I actually don't want a checking account. As a youngster back in my Tommy Toughnuts, inmature think I'm a badass days, checking accounts got me in trouble. Better off with the setup i have.

The EXACT reason I don't have a checking account. LOL I do have my savings account linked to PP though.