Model Cars Magazine Forum

ANTS

Scott Colmer

Here in western PA we have what are called Stink Bugs. They look like little grayish-tan shields. They don't bite, but at certain times they are just all over the place. They try to get into your house where it is warmer as the cooler weather approaches.

I had never seen a stink bug until I moved to PA. Then they moved east and I saw them in NJ too. They were all over the place here 3 years ago but rarely seen this year. They are a fairly decent size, about the size of a finger nail, but have a knack of getting into the house. You find them on the wall in the dead of winter. Who knows where they were hiding until then. And I find dead ones in weird places, like in a closed model box, desk drawer, behind glass in my model display case... Since I don't want to smash one, nor set it free to multiply, I flush them down the toilet.

They wound up in this area when furniture started to be imported from Viet Nam and Laos. They hitched rides in packaging, and since they seem good at sitting still or hiding for long periods of time, they wound up here. I understand that back home they are used in food as a spice.

I had never seen a stink bug until I moved to PA....They wound up in this area when furniture started to be imported from Viet Nam and Laos. They hitched rides in packaging, and since they seem good at sitting still or hiding for long periods of time, they wound up here. I understand that back home they are used in food as a spice.

Yum !! Honey, pass the stink-bug sauce, please.

I lived in Okinawa for several years when I was in the Navy.Came home for lunch one day (lived off base with my lovely wife) time to go back to work. Got in the car and I heard the dreaded sound of the cicada starting up,tic, tic, tic, not long till he got into full song. Didn't need that on the way back to work. I went inside for the bug spray. Got back to the car only to discover I'd left the turn signals on, tic,tic,tic. :o

And wouldn't ya know, I hadn't seen one lousy stink bug all summer, but after reading this thread, I saw three today. Two outside and one on my kitchen wall. I guess it's getting cool enough that they're trying to get indoors. I decided to give them amnesty. I left the two outdoor bugs alone and set the kitchen one free outside. They get one free pass. If they sneak in again they get a free flume ride to the nearest sewerage treatment plant! :)

So the ants keep comin and now they bring out their dead ? YOU MY FRIEND HAVE AN ANTS NEST SOMEWHERE NEAR YOUR WORK BENCH !!!!! Now what ever you do DONT mass kill them as i had a nest in my garage and sprayed them only to realize that a large massacre of ants stink like all hell a couple of days later . If you spray them clean them up as soon as the last one dies .

Around here it's common to find ladybugs in the house, usually earlier in the summer. Every once in a while I see one crawling along the floor... I always take them and toss them back outside. For some reason, I can't bring myself to kill a ladybug! :D

I don't kill 'em. I just suck 'em up in the vaccum cleaner. They die just fine on their own in there.

Around here it's common to find ladybugs in the house, usually earlier in the summer. Every once in a while I see one crawling along the floor... I always take them and toss them back outside. For some reason, I can't bring myself to kill a ladybug! :D

Harry do you have brick on your house? Ladybugs seek warm when the weather turns chilly and nest in weep holes in brick facades. Once the brick warms up again, they wake up and some can't find their way outside so they wind up in the house. I've always found them in my office buildings and people's reactions are funny. Some call facilities to get rid of them, others want to keep them for good luck! I once had a secretary call that the lady bugs were in the senior VP's office. When I got there he was sitting at his desk and they were flying around the room. He didn't want us to touch them. So I instructed house keeping to vacuum up the dead ones every night!

I won't kill ladybugs either. Let them back outside. They are good for the environment, they eat pests like aphids.

Ant update. They are gone. When the weather cools down the go back home.

I did do some reseach. If you kill them outright, the queen just makes more. The traps are the best way to go. The sugar traps will kill of the workers, that's what the queen feeds them. The traps that have a fat draw will get fed to the larve. I am thinking a Borax and maple bacon breakfast would be in order next time the weather warms up.

Couldn't find anything about them bringing out the dead.

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

In Nebraska, we have had a lot of ladybugs. The bad thing is, they aren't Ladybugs at all. They look the same but they are Asian soldier beetles. These buggers (no pun intended) do bite. A year or two ago we had a huge swarm of them. I can still get some dead ones when I vacuum in the attic.They get in anywhere. We have have also had a scourge of Box Elder bugs. At least they don't bite.