Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Gumball Rally- GUMBALL HAS STARTED

Nick Winter

GumballRally.jpg

Ladies, Gentlemen, you have been selected because you have the necessary skills. You are here because you have the determination to succeed. Now, it won't be as easy as last year. There are some who will use any means to try and stop us. Some of you won't make it. For those of you who do, there'll be no glory, no headlines. But... just a few magic hours flat out against the red line, with no catalytic converter and no 55 mile-an-hour speed limit.

Ladies and gentlemen... The MCM Gumball Rally has begun!

Um, for those of you who never done this before, I think I better go over the rules. Um, first thing to remember is there are no rules. (Refer to the rules below, please)

The first vehicle to reach the parking lot of the Queen Mary in Long Beach is the winner, the unofficial winner, as this is an unofficial race. And, uh, so it follows that none of us are in this race. We don't want any civilian involvement. No accidents, please. Remember, it's 2,900 miles. That, 34 hours and 11 minutes, is the record.

Now I know we all oughta get some rest tonight, but, uh, may I? I'd like to propose a toast... to internal combustion and wind in the face.

Start: December 31th 2011, 12:00 AM Eastern Standard Time

End: December 31st 2012, 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time

Rules:

1. First photo must show starting point (re-builders, fresh kits and barely started kits only please)

2. All cars must be street legal appearing. (So no racing numbers, or Huge sponsors, sponsor decals are welcomed though, just don’t get crazy with them)

3. All participants must PM me their entry. (Year, Make, Model)

4. We are trying to keep the playing field even, so only vehicles from ’50-’85 are going to be allowed entry (this time)

Possible Suggestions:

· If your going to be Gumball Ready you may want some extra lighting for those long stretches in the pitch black.

· You may also want to know about roadblocks, lane closers, and the occasional Smokey Report, so you may want a CB or Scanner.

Remember, “It's not a risk... it's a challenge.”

Nick

Trophy.jpg

Entries:

1. hvymtl- 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona

2. Nick Winter- 1978 Pontiac Firebird Trans AM

3. Haubenschild- ?

4. W-409- 1969 Chevrolet Camaro

5. 1zebra3- ?

6. timc- 1969 Dodge Charger R/T, 1966 AC Shelby Cobra 427

7. martinfan5- ?

8. Swifster- ?

9. Mr. Moparman- 1974 Dodge Charger

10. TonyT- 1977 Ford Mustang II

11. wgflatliner- 1970 Dodge Super Bee

12. Patami- 1965 Ford Mustang

13. VWDave- 1970 1/2 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

14. Car Crazy 81- 1970 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am

15. jcbigpaw- ?

16. slantasaurus- 1984 Dodge Shelby Daytona

17. Wagonmaster- 1969 Plymouth GTX

18. CorvairJim- ? Chevrolet Corvair

19. Dingo5162- 1969 Ford Falcon XT GT

20. ChevyCoupe41- '69 AMC Rambler American

21. remingtonbox- '61 Ford Ranchero

22. dyl_w@comcast.net- '69 Mustang Mach 1

23. FatManScaleDesigns- Ford Courier

Edited by Nick Winter

AHHH this is for me the open road with a screaming 427 s/c at my command

too fun. would be a wreck physically after finishing

Roll on Yellow Camaro !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was involved in the other rally over "there". and i look forward to this build off whether i am

in or not

Michael

I'm just glad i'm not the only one who remembers this. The name of this race was eventually usurped and changed to the Cannonball run. The Gumball Rally however, is where it all stated for me. :)

Actually, "The Cannonball Baker Sea To Shining Sea Memorial Trophy Dash", an actual coast to coast race over public highways, was started in the early 1970's, the brainchild of magazine writer and sometimes race driver and commentator Brock Yates and sponsored by Car and Driver magazine. "THE GUMBALL RALLY" was a spoof on the actual event. The first "Cannonball" was won by Yates and Dan Gurney in a race-prepped Hemi Challenger. In a later running of the event, Hollywood stunt coordinator Hal Needham took part in a much-modified, Hemi-packing Dodge van-based ambulance, It was this participation that got Needham fired up to produce "THE CANNONBALL RUN" with his buddy Burt Reynolds. In fact, that ambulance was the same vehicle used by Reynolds and Dom DeLuise in "CANNONBALL". The Yates/Gurney Challenger made a cameo appearance in the movie as well.

The two hotties in the Lamborghini Countach were also based on an actual team that took part in the inaugural event. A trio of women with racing ties including "The Pink Lady" Donna Mae Mims and Judy Stropus (I forget the name of the third lady just offhand) took part in a borrowed Cadillac limousine and sponsored by the Right Bra company. Donna Mae, in her own immutable style, chose to do the run braless! Their race came to a rather abrupt end in the wilds of darkest Texas (they had decided to take a southern route to avoid the winter weather up north on a more direct route) when the third team member fell asleep at the wheel and rolled the Caddy over in a roadside ditch!

While I remember both films fondly, to me the original, "THE GUMBALL RALLY", is still the better of the two.

BTW - Nick, I almost forgot! If I can find the time between all the other builds I'm committed to (I have a commission to do a '77 Firebird Esprit by the end of February, and I haven't even gotten the photos of the actual car from the customer yet!), I've got to jump in on this one! It'll be either a mid-engine V-8 powered Corvair or my own take on the yellow big block Camaro from the movie.

Hmm got a Ferrari 250 swb that i could run in this or a Karmann giha. Both should fit in the time frame. Have only one question would it be possible to put an contemporary engine in them? For the Ferrari i have planed the 612 engine and for the Karmann the Carrera gt engine. If it will be ok whit those engines to take part in the build then im in whit the Karmann.

neither of those vehicles had Hemi's for power, the Challenger had a Cotton Owens prepped 340 and the van had a Dick Landy built 440

Thanks D i wanted to post that but was stuck at work . i have the Brock Yates book Cannonball

very good read.

Also i have a question are the cars allowed to have modern gear or are we limited to the year cut off?

Michael

:P I got the first team effort in the gumball.69 charger r/t and a 427sc cobra,so you guys better be watchin your mirrors cause that blue blurr you see comin is me.

Not because of my fuzzy pics either :lol: Let's have fun with this guys.later bigtim

Hello Gumball Rallyers, just in case you didn't know I have taken over moderating the Cannonball Run CBP from Jantrix and I was planning on moving it from SA over here to MCM for 2012. I didn't realize that Nick had started the Gumball and he didn't know I was moving the Cannonball here but I PM'ed him yesterday and I think we agreed that there is room for both here on the forum. I will be posting information on the 2012 Cannonball Run after the 1st of the year, it will be a little stricter in the year and equiptment requirements so that will keep things different. Anyone involved in the Gumball is more than welcome to also join the Cannonball, I'm considering an entry in the Gumball myself (kinda thinking Chevy Monza...but still unsure of that). Stay tuned for Cannonball info and good luck to all the Gumball entrys.