Model Cars Magazine Forum

Arnie Beswick GTO funny car

ratnasty

Hello all when I heard the Beswick GTO was being released I contacted John Greczula to let them know that the tailshaft of the transmission has been missing from the Pontiac motor since 1967.

DSCI1496-vi.jpg

here is our e-mails:

Hi John , this is Chuck and I see you guys are bringing out the Beswick GTO funny car. You need to look at the motor and transmission. The trans is missing the complete tailshaft assemby and has been missing since the 1967 GTO flip top car with its full chassis . I just know alot of people we not happy when they got Burketts GTO and I'll bet it is still missing making the car unbuildable because the tailshaft rest on the crossmember . I have only found it in the Mr. Uswitchable kit. Here is a pic of the motor and trans from the Burkett kit . Please check on this and let me know what you find out as I will not be buying any unless this is fixed

Chuck

Hello Chuck,

We did indeed know about the problem. We are adding a new, albeit simple looking separate tailshaft part to the tooling to correct the issue. It looks similar to the tailshaft that's in the '72 MPC Connie Kalitta Bounty Hunter Mustang funny car kit and trust it will work well enough to make modelers happy with the kit.

Regards,

John Greczula

AMT / MPC / Polar Lights / Auto World

Here is pic of what should have been in the kit, I have saved this from the Mr. Unswitchable so I can clean it up and cast me some

DSCI1498-vi.jpg

Here is there replacement set up that is "good enough" for the modelers. I find it very weak and an insult to say "good enough". Maybe as modelers we are "good enough" to save our money and pass this kit by and maybe "good enough" will become "lets fix it right " . At 25.00 a pop for a kit "good enough "doesn't cut it. John and Tom if you are listening

DSCI1497-vi.jpg

I hope what I wrote is "good enough"

Chuck

to tell the truth, i am pretty impressed that the guy even answered you back with that semi belligerent tone in your very poorly written communication. i also dont see where you are quoting "good enough" from...generally when something is in quote marks, it is directly quoted from an attributed source. in this case i dont see the source, presumably Mr Greczula.

Note that I have to agree with you on principle about the suitability of that piece and the addition to the latest re-issue. I just think maybe it could have been approached differently.

just sayin.

(The kit engine depicts a 4-spd., NO funnycars of that era ran a 4-spd. Simple solution ; Saw the tranny off and replace it with a parts box Turbomatic (or Torqueflite as need be)

LOL, this makes me laugh, I am with you a million percent Wayne .................. I find that soooooooooooooooooooo many car model builders just settle instead of going that little bit extra to make it a more correct build. What ever floats ones boat I guess ???

Alan :)