Model Cars Magazine Forum

Obscure Kits You Never Knew Were Made...Until Now

15 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

I am curious on how they may have sold back in the day. 

The Beatles figures are mentioned in Tom Graham's book about Revell.  They got the jump on issuing Beatles items (the deal was made before they were known here, Revell's people figured they would be popular worldwide).  They had the kits ready, but according to the book the figures didn't sell well.

This is an oddity I have, never heard of this Noppo range until I found one on eBay well over a decade ago:

4059710097_139fb9e0a0_c.jpg

1:24 Nissan Skyline 'Ken & Mary'; Noppo 4dr (C110) by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Until relatively recently I was going to use its wheels on another project. Then I looked to see how much they go for now, so it's become one of the few kits in my collection that will remain intact until I'm really, really ready to build it and certainly not get robbed of parts.....

I've never seen that 1/16 scale FROG Jaguar XKE.  But to go along with it, how about the FROG 1/16 scale Dennis Ambulance? With driver, attendant and patient (on stretcher) figures!  It's motorized, so it steers, reverses and has flashing lights.   

FrogDennisAmb.jpg

3 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Interesting...not very familiar w/ Frog...they were a British company I believe?  I think I saw a pic once of a Frog reboxed AMT Ford kit...

Yes, FROG ("Flies Right Off the Ground") was a British company most famous for its huge line of 1/72 aircraft kits.  Here's a short history:

https://www.collectors-club-of-great-britain.co.uk/articles/spotlight-on-the-history-of-frog-kits/

On 1/23/2021 at 2:47 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Don't hear many builders committing to build in that scale exclusively!

That might be an interesting thread:

"Name all the kits made in 1/28th scale."

Many old Lindberg kits were scaled at 7/16" to the foot, which one source tells me converts to the ratio of 1:27.5. 

Many diecast cars are scaled at 1:28, and 1:29 is a common scale for model trains.  So you can load a bunch of those odd-scaled kits and diecasts on a "G Scale" auto-rack rail car.  :-)

On 1/23/2021 at 1:51 AM, Daddyfink said:

1964 Revell Beatles Model Kits - My brother and I got these when they were  first released. The Fab Four! | Beatles memorabilia, Beatles art, The  beatles

Maybe they didn't sell because the George figure (2nd left) and the John one (far right) look nothing like them - I could only tell who they were supposed to be because Paul is recognisable and George played the Gretsch.

On 4/3/2012 at 7:42 AM, RobRus said:

I actually built this model when I was a kid and I remember watching the show every week. Something about a talking car that grabbed me.

One that I always wanted to build was the Mako Shark. I remember drooling over the box every time I went to the hobby shop and asking my mom to buy it for me.

Never did get it but it could be a good project to build up from a stock one.

post-9360-0-54287400-1333464170_thumb.jp

My mother the car was a cool show! 

23 minutes ago, Casey said:

Never knew there was a Morris Innocenti(?!!!) kit available, in 1/16 scale no less: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MORRIS-INNOCENTI-Electromechanical-CAR-MODEL-PLASTIC-KIT-USSR-TOY-LADA-1-16/223477221747

rusaustin.jpg.766f823cb884a9441aef7fe86a832589.jpg

688008424_s-l1600(2).jpg.b1a4c3435b33b4b3e7c4f701b9bd8695.jpg

I think tat might be an old frog tool, I read somewhere their tools went east and I've seen the vauxhall wagon in a russian box. It was also 1/16

Yes, I saved an old eBay listing for the 1/16 Frog Vauxhall Victor Estate listing for many years. Multi-piece body, if I remember correctly, but kind of looks like the real thing.

This one is from Triang(?):

1520380599_M4VAUXHALLVICTOR_1446473093.jpg.b5f64441a888f787cfd4cce65696e814.jpg

Rabbit hole divers, aim here: 

https://www.planetdiecast.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=141&id=83682&Itemid=2455

https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=280&t=10088

Edited by Casey

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2021 at 7:21 PM, Casey said:

It seems to be one of the more scarce kit of that series, along with the VW Beetle and Jaguar, and I almost never see those three while perusing ebay daily.

Wonder why? A lot of the others were reissued multiple times. Damaged tooling perhaps?

• 3 weeks later...