Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Monogram Slingster Dragster

Casey

This is a pleasant surprise! I haven't been on here in a few weeks and I see a few new kits happening. The Slingster looks like a winner, just hope reality is just as appealing.

Now to go wade through 30 pages to see what's with the new Mustang LX.....

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I may be losing it here but I don't recall the 1960 issue as having any chrome in it....seems it was all a matte silver kind of color and of course the front bicycle wheels were clear disks with raised spokes as indicated in an earlier post....some chrome would be a welcome addition....but then again a little Alclad here and there on the parts that need it and no problem.....again I will be interested to see the final scale....

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

• 1 month later...

Love that this kit is being issued BUT "weedburner" headers would be more correct for this vintage rail rather than "zoomies" Zoomies appeared in 1964. No deal breaker tho...This is what parts boxes are for ! lol

Love that this kit is being issued BUT "weedburner" headers would be more correct for this vintage rail rather than "zoomies"

Love that this kit is being issued BUT "weedburner" headers would be more correct for this vintage rail rather than "zoomies"

Zoomies appeared in 1964. No deal breaker tho...This is what parts boxes are for ! lol

Looks like, if you install the headers on opposite sides, they'll point downwards like weedburners. I wonder if someone put them on incorrectly on the display models...

Looks like, if you install the headers on opposite sides, they'll point downwards like weedburners. I wonder if someone put them on incorrectly on the display models...

Since all the builder gets is a bagged test shot with no instructions I would say that's a very good possibility....

-Steve

I've been waiting for this kit for a good long time. I have parts and kits enough to make a few of the old kits. I'm at a loss to say how I feel about the clear front spoked wheels. I did see where some one BMF a set and it did come off quite well. But looking at the new kit I have to wonder how many steps back we just took? :huh:

Any thoughts on the lovely wire wheels in the new Slingster ? :wacko:

068-vi.jpg

Any thoughts on the lovely wire wheels in the new Slingster ? :wacko:

They suck big time. I had been hoping they would revise the beautiful clear discs with delicate lacing like the original, but no. The zoomies look dumb too. Fortuantely the tree seems to show they have included the original style.

Edited by Draggon

as klunky as they are, those wheels are ideal for the throwback look on the model, and look a darn sight better than the original clear plastic ones ever did. and those headers always looked dumb no matter which way they pointed. but again, to me at least, that was part of the charm of this re-do. (edit: oops sorry, I was referring to the original headers, not the new tool zoomies you are) almost unbelievable how they appear to have really re-captured the look of the original with just a few little modifications, mostly for the better, but in true scale instead of way too large. best release of the year, domestic market, for whatever year it actually comes out in. easily upgraded too, using probably wires from the tony nancy reissue for instance.

Edited by jbwelda

It looks like the chassis and the rear wheels are molded in dark grey, along with chrome and clear parts. I wonder what color the body will be molded in ?

Based on the pre-production parts shown by Revell, yes, they seem to use grey plastic for them all, as the '70 Hemi Cuda, '49 Merc Woodie, '57 Bel Air 'vert, etc. are all molded in that color, too. I think the kit parts will be molded in white plastic, especially since this is a Skill Level 3 kit.

Fellas,

It looks like the chassis and the rear wheels are molded in dark grey, along with chrome and clear parts. I wonder what color the body will be molded in ?

I'm gonna guess it'll be white like most current Revell kits. The pics are of a test shot, which are made from whatever plastic they have handy. Edited by Brett Barrow

• 3 weeks later...

There has been a lot of speculation over the "new" Slingster/Sizzler kit, if anyone remembers the Sizzler, molds name etc. were purchased by Galaxie & are still being sold by them in 1/24 scale. I would imagine that there was some sort of deal preventing Revell/Monogram from releasing this kit in it original form, thus it has a new name, & is now in 1/25 scale.(which is more preferable to some modelers)

There has been a lot of speculation over the "new" Slingster/Sizzler kit, if anyone remembers the Sizzler, molds name etc. were purchased by Galaxie & are still being sold by them in 1/24 scale. I would imagine that there was some sort of deal preventing Revell/Monogram from releasing this kit in it original form, thus it has a new name, & is now in 1/25 scale.(which is more preferable to some modelers)

Galaxie bought the Sizzler molds, eh? Please do elaborate

No, they weren't. The vintage Monogram dragsters being sold by Galaxie are the "Slingshot" and "Long John," both completely different animals from the Sizzler. And, I would seriously doubt Galaxie actually "purchased" the molds for those two kits. More likely, Revell is running the kits for Galaxie under some sort of special arrangement.

Yes, they are. Says so right on the box.

"Sizzlers" were rechargeable battery-powered Hot Wheels that ran around a track. You recharged them from the "Juice Station", which looked like a gas pump. Since Mattel (Hot Wheels) also owned Monogram at the time they made the Sizzlers I imagine they worked out some sort of deal to retain the exclusive rights to the name.

I was following the Galaxie releases as they came out thinking, Oh Boy the "Sizzler" will be their next release. All for naught. :(

As lawyers are want to do, you'd think they'd see the difference between "Sizzler" and "SizzlerS". Slingster, sounds like some kinda gansta gun fighter. :lol:

Edited by Greg Myers