Model Cars Magazine Forum

qer09ifyugreadm

b_lever1

As Lazlow did he told us how and what he is building.Spent 3days try to get to the hobby shop here for me the closest one is an hour drive away here is my build. Picked up the AMT Phantom not my first choice,but I started this build needed a kit.On my way home today was thinking how to build or what to build from this kit??? then a flash of lighting

(driving home in rainstorm) the Denim Machine some of you may remember this van Coca cola levi's ford and hot rod mag built a bunch of these to give away in the 70's so in 3.5 hours I'll open it up and get started heres some pictures attachicon.gifphoto-11-650x487.jpgattachicon.gifHOT-ROD-HOMECOMING-2013-095-650x433.jpgattachicon.gifHOT-ROD-HOMECOMING-2013-097-650x433.jpg This van brings back alot of memories plus there is one of these about a hour and half from my place time to find the owner and become his best friend lol

i remember readin all the articles when these were built and im a coke fan...i will be watchin this one :D

They used to call me coke at work when I was younger because I drank so much of it, guess thats why I'm diabetic! I to am a very big coke fan I have my old mags on the build from hot rod mag my build will be fashioned from the old van not the redone one very different will post some pictures this weekend.

Got some things done on the Denimachine model. Got the side door opened and stiffened up post-6187-0-76832000-1375027158_thumb.jppost-6187-0-07318300-1375027235_thumb.jp and started the hood mods and first round of bodywork going post-6187-0-77585100-1375027308_thumb.jppost-6187-0-74226000-1375027372_thumb.jppost-6187-0-74226000-1375027372_thumb.jp Got frame cleaned up thinking about full detail on the frame ,engine etc.They are going to be hard to see now just have to get Wife to get better camera any ideas on that.

Any comments good or bad welcome

Bob, You are making some great progress on this. This generation Ford Econoline was always my favorite van I do miss all the cool custom vans of the '70's.

Thank you! I miss those cool old vans also Wife and I are going to rebuild our old 66a100 some day we still have that old girl even after 35 years and the same girl 5 kids later

Got somethings done today(day off have the flu) rear doors opened just have to hinge them and trying to figure out how to make a slider for the side door. Going to start on the inside tonight or the frame ? don't know having a cold makes it very hard to think.posting pic's later

WHINE TIME.

This here is a update and some whining (sorry) about the kit AKA the "Kiss van". Well I finally got started this week end. Had some issues with missing parts, this kit was open when I got it and some of the smaller parts are missing, I have been trying to build it box stock, but I think that is out now. One of the frame rails was missing and one of them came short of holding THE MYSTERIOUS HATCH in the middle of the floor, (why would they do that, just a random 1x2inch hole in the floor) I had to make new ones out of styrene, came out pretty good once painted you should not be able to tell the deference. Also I missing one of the rear shocks, I put a beg out in the wanted section. If I can get that I think I can make it all look box stock, if not it look good setting on my shelf.

As for the poor made kit, AMT did not put mounting holes for the front shocks to the frame and glossed over that in the directions. The tie rod was just supposed to glue to the top of the king pin’s, I drilled those and it finally lined up, So I took that opportunity to cut the wheels to the left to give it a better look like in the magazines instead of straight on. Mold marks every where. And that hatch thing with the cross members that didn't hold it as intended.

Well I will quit my whining now (again sorry) I think when I am done with this I will build another one the way I think the kit should of been built in Black with the Cragers and the side pipes it came with( who doesn't use side pipes in the 70"s), all box stock just better choices of how to use the parts it came with.

Laz

UPDATE Thanks to gray07 I now have the shock on the way big thanks Darrin

DSC00935_zpsd6610e10.jpg

DSC00936_zps0593ced5.jpg

38a79c71-7c2a-4278-a5ff-1f940e4506cb_zps

Edited by lazlow

Hay b_lever1

I was looking at the wanted section and saw yours, looks like some one is asking if you got those wheels on the 22end,

didn't look like you got the post.

Laz

The van when it was built had the same wheels the kit comes with but I going to be building more vans to boot

Rear doors opened up and started to figure out sliding door. Not doing much because of flu worst thing in the summer but keeps you inside building thats okay.Still have to work though,tonite going to hinge rear doors and get some primer.

Laz just lucky other than taking wife fishing we don't do much kids all grown-up its her,me and my dog he (dog) spends all day in the shop with me except when spraying he knows vaccum comes out it's time to paint.stay at it my friend

Got some things done tonight , innerframing to the rear doors ,stepwell for slider and thanks to lonewolf1 a way of making the sliding door work check it out in tips it is called Homicide doors or in the help fourm. Will have pictures up Thurs eve

Got some things done on the van today wife had to go fishing of course I just walk to the back of our plsce with my lawn chair and model kit work well she fishes,couple shots of our back yard

post-6187-0-94600800-1375582705_thumb.jppost-6187-0-78718400-1375582763_thumb.jp anyways got rear doors hinged and working,quik shot of primer in the almost finished spray boothpost-6187-0-13767600-1375582916_thumb.jppost-6187-0-57242000-1375582958_thumb.jppost-6187-0-73476000-1375583006_thumb.jp Well back to the shop

Edited by b_lever1

Got to say this about the kit it is not as good as I remember but that was long ago.Did not know much about cars and stuff back then,the auto transmission is a C6 don't look like any C6 I have worked on so doing alot of rework to make it more like a real C6 I starting to think sometimes I'm to fussy but thats me.So anyways correcting the powertrain making coil springs for the frontend then I plan to get into the interior going to make it like the originals The way van goodies did them.pictures will come later