Model Cars Magazine Forum

San Francisco Verses the Flying Saucers! Finished!

Ira

SPACE PEARLS!

I have been looking for a while, for some half round shapes for the Saucer. I found these at a Michaels Craft Store on Clearance!

DSCN6317S_zpse0ba3902.jpg

After figuring thier positioning I glued the Space Pearls in place with Formula 560 White Glue. I used a toothpick and filled in any gaps with Formula 560.

DSCN6323S_zps413ac764.jpg

Lots More Coming... B)

LASER LIGHT!

The Laser Beam will be a Big part of the Diorama. I am using parts from a Dollar Store Flashlight for the Laser Light. I will be using the Lights and the Battery Holder from the Flashlight.

DSCN5850F_zps57020843.jpg

I found an old Switch from a RC Radio. Later, I cut off the Plug and RC Battery Holder. Perfect for the Laser Beam!

DSCN5852F_zps2c2042c4.jpg

After doing a lot of testing, I figured out how to solder the switch between the Lights and Battery.

DSCN5857F_zpse9f5e522.jpg

It Works!

DSCN5859F_zps4f175185.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

LASER BEAM!

The Laser Beam actually supports the Saucer. I found plastic tubes and shapes at Tap Plastic, Dollar Store, Hobby Shop and Plastic Champaign Glasses at the Department Store. Maybe Cigar tubes? Look around you will find some Great Shapes!

DSCN6378S_zpsb20d42c0.jpg

I ended up using a Clear Tube and will Tint the Lens later. Here is what happens when you shine a light in the Tube!

DSCN5768F_zps08965d77.jpg

I cut a hole in the roof to fit the Laser Tube. I think the roof might need a little bracing to support the Saucer...

DSCN6301S_zps12c8ed0e.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

THE RAY GUN!...Part 1

I need to build this Ray Gun Strong enough to support the Flying Saucer. I started with the end of a Retractable Ball Point Pen and a Plastic Part that looks like a Satellite Dish. I used a Plastruc part but you could probably find a button that would work.

DSCN6337S_zps5a77c205.jpg

Next I needed a piece of plastic strip. I rounded off the end with a Foam Sanding Board.

DSCN6342S_zpsabfcedf8.jpg

Then I filed a groove wide enough to hold the Plastic Strip.

DSCN6349S_zps1a34cdb8.jpg

More Coming... B)

THE RAY GUN!...Part 2

I drilled a hole in the end of the Tube and inserted a Tack. Hopefully this will be strong enogh to hold up the Saucer...

DSCN6353S_zps484405c5.jpg

Next I drilled a hole in the center of the Dish, for the Tack.

DSCN6350S_zps32dc9eeb.jpg

Then I cut the Tack down a bit and measured how long to make the Rounded Plastic Strip.

DSCN6356S_zps0a789901.jpg

More Coming... B)

THE RAY GUN!...Part 3

I cut out the slot in the Rounded Strip Plastic, for the Tack with a Cut-Off Wheel and then sanded it smooth.

DSCN6363S_zpsb7b02ba8.jpg

Next I glued the Plastic Strip into the Dish Shape to form the bottom of the Ray Gun.

DSCN6367S_zpsed3bbf4c.jpg

Here is the Tube mounted to the House, with the Ray Gun Bottom glued to the Tube Tack!

DSCN6370S_zpsb2add122.jpg

More Coming... B)

THE RAY GUN!...Done

I cut a slot in the Ball Point Pen End with a Cut-Off Wheel. I made it wide enough to hold the Rounded Plastic Strip.

DSCN6383S_zps8ed64faf.jpg

Next I glued it to the bottom section of the Saucer.

DSCN6386S_zps4c0c9582.jpg

Here is how the Ray Gun fits together, but it isn't glued yet...

DSCN6393S_zps5c058f88.jpg

More Coming... B)

Ira, I am one of your biggest fans and love everything you create but I must say to me this is one of the most interesting and can't wait to see it finished. Carry on.

Thanks for the kind words Ray!

I have also enjoyed this build a lot... B)