front-left-bonnet-open-XL.jpg

left-profile-hero-XL.jpg

front-left-XL.jpg

right-front-low-hero-XL.jpg

left-rear-quarter-XL.jpg

right-front-high-closeup-XL.jpg

low-front-right-XL.jpg

head-on-XL.jpg

Paint is Zero Paints "Blu Abu Dhabi". Built using the Ferrai configurator to check options -- carbon sills and "driver zone", privacy glass, Daytona seats and some Alcantara in the cabin (OK, just various shades of grey and black). There are things that Fujimi could have done differently (and they are things that I'm sure Revell will do differently if/when they get an F12 into production), but overall, I really enjoyed this build. I don't think the simplifications are really visible now it's finished, and personally, I don't find the stance, ride-height or wheels/tyres at all offensive. And I have one on my shelf now, not sometime next year!

bestest,

M.

Thank you all, gentlemen.

This seems to be a "Marmite" car (those of you with a UK connection will know what I mean... for everyone else it's a "love it or hate it"). It's either the worst excesses of modern Ferrari, or a supercool supercar. Me, I think it's sculpture. Cars don't do "if it looks right, it'll fly right" these days, and for modern supercar markets (the Gulf, Russia, Singapore and China) a bit of excess seem to be the way to go. The F12 is not my favorite Fezza on the shelf, but I do think it's the front-engined Ferrari turned up to 11.

As for the kit, personally, I think Fujimi have done a great job. There are some detail compromises, and some strange choices, but overall, I found it fitted well, looks the part, and was a straightforward build.

The upsides:

The main body elements (front bumper, body, bonnet "blades", doors, chassis, fitted superbly. There is NO trimming, sanding etc in what you see above.

The dash etc. details were great for painting

Excellent decals

Despite criticism, the wheels and tyres are bang on scale sizes

Those PE Scud shields are great if you want to do carbon effect versions!

The "just OK"

The pedals and seats are moulded with the tub. Not "state of the art", but, honestly, can you tell by looking at the photos here or in the WIP?

The grilles in the body fit _perfectly_. So well, in fact, that if you prime, paint and clear the body shell, they don't any more. I'd mask the holes next time.

The suspension is very simplified. Again, can you tell?

The opening doors can be made multiposition, if not hinged and operating. Why not engineer them that way in the first place?

Engine looks great in situ

The "not so good"

Those blinking exhaust manifolds. Why bother making something so complex and hard to assemble that you just can't see?

Too much chrome. The grill ain't chrome on the real thing. The exhausts only have chrome tips.

Give us some mesh in case we don't want to use the moulded parts

The PE is mostly useless (the brake disks don't add much and are hard to use, and a lot of the rest is invisible)

Why not offer a few more colour schemes in the instructions (Tamiya does, see the LFA)? And have the alternative decals needed (eg brake callipers, wheel centre cavallinos, dash instruments and markings, seat embellishments) in the box, a la Revell.

Overall, though: buy with confidence my friends.... and seek out some "Rosso Maranello" or "Blu Abu Dhabi" from your local paint experts!

Thanks, again...

bestest,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon