Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Our ride starts when yours ends"

mrm

This is another one of my endless Deuce projects and it is ..........a hearse. A hot rodded one at that.

I don't remember what gave me the idea, but it has been in my head for a while now. As a matter of fact it was already in my head last June in Kanzas, where I did not see Dorothy, but I got me a Boothhill Express showrod in a gallon ziplock bag for something like $10. It was exactly what I had in mind for the project. The other part I needed was the Dan Fink Speedwagon, which I already had a couple of from evilbay. The only setback was, that I found out that the supposedely whole kit of the Boothill express was missing its roof. Well styrene sheet it was.

dsc0594x.jpg

Since I now had a much longer body, I needed to stretch the frame. I decided to use two separate fromes cut at different places for the job (sometimes it seems like I have an unlimited supplies of '32 parts accumulated over the years before I even gave myself a break from the hobby) Looking at all the issues that would have caused with the cross members etc. I decided to use just the front crossmember and the one at the very back. So basically I had to scratchbuild the frame with some styrene tubing .

dsc0592o.jpg

I decided to go fullfendered as I have a vision of a hot rodded but elegant hearse. That meant that not only the fenders had to be stretched, but also the running boards now had to be filled to become smooth.

dsc0593d.jpg

To locate the first crossmember made, on which the rear suspention is going to be, I temporarily glead the rear radius rods to the original kit cross member and to the rear end. This way I had the exact geometry that I needed laid infront of me.

dsc0595hb.jpg

Pretty much the same principal was used for the tranny mounting point and another crossmember further to the front. Then everything was glued together by some design of mine.

dsc0596g.jpg

This is pretty much what the new stretched chassis looks like as of now. It still needs some more work and attachment brackets and mounts for the suspention.

dsc0597f.jpg

Thank you for looking and stay tuned.

This is another one of my endless Deuce projects and it is ..........a hearse. A hot rodded one at that.

I don't remember what gave me the idea, but it has been in my head for a while now. As a matter of fact it was already in my head last June in Kanzas, where I did not see Dorothy, but I got me a Boothhill Express showrod in a gallon ziplock bag for something like $10. It was exactly what I had in mind for the project. The other part I needed was the Dan Fink Speedwagon, which I already had a couple of from evilbay. The only setback was, that I found out that the supposedely whole kit of the Boothill express was missing its roof. Well styrene sheet it was.

dsc0594x.jpg

Since I now had a much longer body, I needed to stretch the frame. I decided to use two separate fromes cut at different places for the job (sometimes it seems like I have an unlimited supplies of '32 parts accumulated over the years before I even gave myself a break from the hobby) Looking at all the issues that would have caused with the cross members etc. I decided to use just the front crossmember and the one at the very back. So basically I had to scratchbuild the frame with some styrene tubing .

dsc0592o.jpg

I decided to go fullfendered as I have a vision of a hot rodded but elegant hearse. That meant that not only the fenders had to be stretched, but also the running boards now had to be filled to become smooth.

dsc0593d.jpg

To locate the first crossmember made, on which the rear suspention is going to be, I temporarily glead the rear radius rods to the original kit cross member and to the rear end. This way I had the exact geometry that I needed laid infront of me.

dsc0595hb.jpg

Pretty much the same principal was used for the tranny mounting point and another crossmember further to the front. Then everything was glued together by some design of mine.

dsc0596g.jpg

This is pretty much what the new stretched chassis looks like as of now. It still needs some more work and attachment brackets and mounts for the suspention.

dsc0597f.jpg

Thank you for looking and stay tuned.

did you take the running boards /front and rear fenders from a 1932 ford

Other than the yellow parts, everything else on this is from some sort of '32 Ford kit or will be scratchbuild. The only aftermarket item (other than the usual detail wires, grilles etc.) will eventually be a coffin riding in the back, which will most likely come from Jimmy Flintstone.

Here is a quick mockup of the whole thing. I have not decided on wheels yet, but the ride will be adjusted for sure. Because of the frame modifications, now the wheels sit somewhat more inwards in the fenders, which needs to be fixed. Also the front needs to be brought down a little. But there is a lot more work on the chassis and fenders that needs to be done before that. The model will have white wall tires for sure.

dsc0599ip.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I mentioned in the other thread that I had some unfortunate events to deal with , which put me out of my building for over a year. All of it was followed by some sort of builder's block. My kid, Ryan, helped me overcome it, by asking to build a model with me. His choice was the Boothill Express. This reignited the spark about this build, which survived the chaos in my house. Well, almost, as the chassis was broken in two.

So I fixed the chassis and reinforced it. Then I picked an engine for it. It is the sbf from the Speedwagon with MCG resin heads and filter. They are really cool Edelbrock pieces with photoetched plates for the top of the heads and filter. For whatever reason the "Edelbrock" writings are upside down. So I filled them and I will figure out what to do with it.

lhf6.jpg

Then sprayed everything with black primer to show me the million holes I need to fill. Tamiya basic putty for the first round….

hpyh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After fighting pinholes in the putty, ghost lines in joints and cheap automotive black primer, I just gave in and finally soaked the roof and the running boards (trouble areas) in polyurethane primer. It is curing as we speak, but tomorrow will be sanded and hopefully, ready for some paint. I am also working on a headliner for the cab. Will post pictures tomorrow.