Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Ford Ratrod/Hotrod? (updated w/ pics 6-3-12)

JasonFL

Hey everyone, im new here. im not big on forums but i recently got back into doing model cars and i came across this website and i cant seem to get off of here. ive looked on a lot of different forums and projects but the ones that i have seen on this site are ridiculous. the attention to detail and quality is something im looking to learn from. needless to say i thought i would try this forum out and see how everything goes. i used to build model cars as a kid and haven't touched any in over 10yrs. i started back up with one of my favorites, a 57 chevy and now i am starting this 32 ford Revell 2in1 kit. i have a build off with a friend to build a rat rod so i want to channel the body, slam it down and chop the roof, flathead, rear fenders, and maybe a tiki theme interior for some of the plans.

?action=view&current=32fordbox.jpg

i mocked everything up and marked out some spots but i wasnt sure how to go about chopping the top so the roof slants downwards? i also wasnt sure how to go about slamming the front down, do i just cut all the springs off? if anyone has any suggestions i would appreciate it. thanks for looking

?action=view&current=32ford.jpg

Edited by JasonFL

Welcome to the forum. It looks like you're getting an extra "http://" in your link. Try editing one out. Not sure how it's getting there. On Photobucket you just put the cursor over the drop down list on the IMG code link.. click on it to copy. Then just paste (ctrl V) here.

edit: I tried just copy/pasting your link and editing it here. It said I'm not allowed to use that here. I'm not sure the problem ... could be your Photobucket permissions but never seen that to happen by default.

Edited by Foxer

• 9 months later...

I put this build on hold for a while because I was to scared to cut into it. After a lot of brainstorming and driving myself crazy I decided to just start chopping.

My main object is just to make everything flow but give it attitude. I decided to make this build my "first for everything build" so we're better to start then the rear fenders. I've seen this done a lot, in different ways, shapes and sizes but I wanted to make mine just a little different.

I didn't want the whole running board so I cut the back halves off.

DSCN5696.jpg

Then drew some lines and cut the fender to look like a chopper/bobber fender. I left the spike extra long until I can figure out how I want it exactly but this gave me rough idea.

DSCN5734.jpg

DSCN5736.jpg

I marked the body up where where the fenders are going to sit as far as I could go without messing up the body line

DSCN5730.jpg

The way I mounted the fenders was I took the fender from the opposite side then flipped it so the the back part of the fender was facing forward. So if your looking at it from the side it would look like the air would flow right over the back wheel.

DSCN5749.jpg

DSCN5740.jpg

DSCN5743.jpg

After pulling the band-aid off, I realized it wasn't so bad. So I thought I would try chopping the frame up. I found a simple way to Z the frame, I decided to just Z the rear frame for now so I can figure out the fender clearance.

DSCN6030.jpg

DSCN6030.jpg

DSCN6031.jpg

DSCN6034.jpg

DSCN6040.jpg

DSCN6043.jpg

DSCN6042.jpg

I wanted to add some strength so I added some gussets were the 2 frame pieces meet. I still have to clean up the frame

8d6a7ec3.jpg

27554b00.jpg

I also shortened the back of the frame and removed the gas tank in order to get it lower. I'll mount the gas tank in the trunk later

DSCN5705.jpg

DSCN5700.jpg

I wanted to do something different with the grill so I thought a home made web grill would be cool. Paper clips and an old skull I had from an earring when I used to have some piercings.

22f98dee.jpg

DSCN6004.jpg

DSCN6007.jpg

I wanted the web to look like it was coming off the skull and I changed the direction of the web at the bottom because I'm thinking about bringing the web onto the body.

DSCN6011.jpg

DSCN6111.jpg

DSCN6022.jpg

DSCN6029.jpg

731d0b9a.jpg

This is we're I stand as of right now. Tonight I'm chopping the top and hopefully tomorrow i can hing and cut the doors open. Opinions are always welcome.

Jason, I love the looks of it. It's never dawned on me to cut up the fenders like that, but I love the idea. Thanks, and I hope to see more progress. Best, DC

Thanks Doc, means a lot coming from the king of rust. Stay tuned, I'm doing the chop and doors tonight/tomorrow.

Chopping the top. I of coarse wanted a slanted chop top so my first chop wasn't going to be as easy as just chopping and dropping. After making a post and talking to a few different members I went with the way I thought would be best to give me the slanted chop.

Thanks to Brizio and others for all the help and ideas.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57448&st=0&p=679519&#entry679519

1st step I did was mark everything off in green that was being cut out.

DSCN6053.jpg

DSCN6055.jpg

2nd step I took the back of my blade and cut the top clean off.

DSCN6065.jpg

DSCN6068.jpg

3rd step I marked off my post and chopped em' down.

DSCN6081.jpg

DSCN6078.jpg

DSCN6083.jpg

4th step i cut the middle of the roof out, got rid of the middle post, and cleaned it up.

DSCN6086.jpg

DSCN6091.jpg

5th step I realized after mocking it up (forgot to take pics) that I cut to much out of the rear post so I took the pieces I cut out, shaved them down about half the size then glued them back in place.

DSCN6108.jpg

So while waiting for the pieces to dry on the top I wanted to get the doors cut out. The doors had to flow with everything else so that ment making a new door lines.

The first time cutting the doors out wouldn't be as easy as following the door line so I put some tape down as a guide, worked out pretty well I think.

DSCN6097.jpg

DSCN6096.jpg

DSCN6103.jpg

The doors cut out clean so I started on the hinges. I found a tutorial (thanks to Romell R http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31793) on doing hinges this way and just thought it was really clean and simple.

DSCN6102.jpg

I took the plastic tubing that was used on an old r/c car that held up the antenna, cut a piece off then cut it in half to give it a nice tight fit.

DSCN6105.jpg

Allows the doors to open into the body and you can take them off whenever you want with ease.

DSCN6101.jpg

DSCN6099.jpg

DSCN6098.jpg