Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Dodge - My "Tunaboat" Replica - FINISHED

Ramfins59

Once I got the glass and the completed interior installed the rest of final assembly went well and fairly quickly.

I'm happy with the way that the paint color turned out. It's as close as I could get to matching the color of the real car going by the pictures I have.

To recap, this is a Johan, curbside promo that my buddy John (Forum member Fastback340) gave to me. (THANKS A BIG BUNCH JOHN...!!!) The colors are Floquil Depot Buff on the body, and Model Master Wimbledon White on the fins. About a tenth of a mile of BMF took care of the chrome trim. The grille was blackwashed and polished PE headlight half moon covers were added to headlights that were coated with off white acrylic along with the turn signal lenses Chrome wipers, spotlights, mirrors and antenna's are from my parts stash. Modelhaus' '59 Dodge spinner hubcaps are mounted in parts box whitewall tires with sanded treads. The lake pipes are from Bob Dudek with pieces of PE flames added to the end caps. The promo's taillight bezels were cut off and chromed resin ones from Modelhaus were installed with '59 Caddy bullet taillight lenses. I made the license plates using dry transfers and PE frames. The rear exhaust pipes are pieces of polished aluminum tubing with flat black paint applied inside.

I now present to you, The U.S.S. TUNABOAT My buddy, Tom Valenta, gave me the "Tunaboat" license plate frame a long time ago.

TUNABOATMODELFINISHED11024x748_zpsc42f56

TUNABOATMODELFINISHED21024x763_zps89f861

TUNABOATMODELFINISHED31024x763_zps307746

TUNABOATMODELFINISHED41024x761_zpsbf92e7

TUNABOATMODELFINISHED51024x706_zpsa09e19

and here's a shot I took of the car using the display case backdrop that I recently made.

TUNABOATMODELFINISHED61024x754_zpsbd89f1

I've been wanting to make this model for a very long time and I'm very pleased with this end result. This car will now sit in a clear plastic display case in my living room. I only wish that the real car had looked as good as this model does.

Thanks for looking in on this completed build, Any and all comments are welcomed and truly appreciated.

Edited by Ramfins59

She's a stunning beauty Rich!! Excellent foil work as it's truly done well!

I have two of these, one just the body----and the other the reissue that was out a number of years ago. I'm very tempted to whack the roof off one of the bodies as this is the ONLY correct rendition of the '57-'59 Dodge/Plymouth 2 dr hardtop rooflines that's somewhat available on the 'Bay........to someday fix RC2's '58 Plymouth. ;)

Awesome Build Rich.... Brings back so many great memories ( and some painful ones that leave scars..LOL ).. You did her proud....i so look fwd to hanging itty bitty beanie fish from the antenna's and finding a bunch of multi colored letter for the rear quarters...lol. in scale of course.... seriously though.. you did an incredible job of bringing her back....

Thank you very much guys. Your encouraging words are very much appreciated.

Bruce, you are right about that, and I think that the Dodge's fins were more "stylish" too.

Tom V, should I put a 1/25 scale bloodstain on the driver side lake pipe flame? (Tom is an excellent mechanic and he redid the rear drum brakes on my 1:1 Dodge years ago. While removing the tire and brake drum he scraped his forearm on

the lake pipe flame cap and still wears the scar from it.)

Tom G., No that is NOT Hitler, LOL. It is a resin figure I found in a box and he has a cigar in his mouth,,,,,, That's not a mustache.