Model Cars Magazine Forum

GMC s15/sonoma Updated 7/3/15

New update march 7/15

So guys, since my vanagon is half done I decided to start this monogram 93 s10.

aad955cd.jpg

I got this for ten bucks. The engine has been started but other then that the kit is complete. I plan to build this thing 100% original but i might change the wheels to a 2wd style rim. Not the 4x4 style they have in the kit. For colors I am not sure yet. This is build 2/3 for my monogram s-series trucks. I have built the syclone, got this one, and I bought a sealed s10 waverider to build after this one. Once done I'll display all of them together.

The truck will sit higher once done, but for mock up this is how it looks.

f5d1314a.jpg
ca6c5acf.jpg
3fb3f73a.jpg
8f9f716e.jpg

I am also using a soft tonneau cover from one of my syclones on this truck, it add a bit of style to it.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Jared Roach

• 2 weeks later...

I remember you saying something about the kit wheels being the wrong ones for a 2WD, though you may have deleted it. :P Anywho you're correct, since the wheels pictured are the high offset wheels necessary for the wider suspension setup, hence the 2WD models came with low-offset wheels. I'd suggest using a set from a newer S10 kit to have it look more accurate (well as accurate as the 'owner' putting a more modern set of wheels on it), though ironically you'd possibly have an issue with where the wheels sit due to the way they set up the suspension pieces! :lol:

So I got my new wheels for this thing. Both the rims and tires are from the amt 86 el camino. I stripped and painted the rims, and also painted the white letters. It looks 10x better!

I also cut the hinges off the hood and I'm going to fill the holes in the firewall where they went.

7a2e815b.jpg

61bc2791.jpg

4cae28df.jpg

9759fded.jpg

47e8bf66.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Hey thanks guys.

What the heck is wrong with photobucket??? When I posted those pics I posted a side view of the new rims and now it's a pic of the old rims? What the heck?

Edit: Now my original pic is back! This is weird.

Edited by Jared Roach

The new wheels are a great improvement! For some reason,I was thinking this kit was 1/24 scale,but I see on the box that it's 1/25. I had the Wave Rider kit,but traded it away before I even had a chance to check it out. After seeing yours,I'm going to have to get me another S10 like this. I think it looks pretty good in the color it's in now,so I would go with something along that line.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually i do have an update on this truck. I have gotten out of the hobby because i don't have the time to build anymore. Just trying to save as much money as possible before i go back to school. But this is the last thing i have worked on, i might finish it before the summer but don't count on it.

80E0F6DF-EB82-4EC8-A48A-07473157F6FB_zps

43FF2457-1FB8-4726-B58C-416DB5315DFB_zps

F0E56B1E-8186-4BF8-A8BF-D44B28DA94ED_zps

B3FC4CAB-29C3-478C-9EBF-E408BE6B9984_zps

D4ED24A9-9532-45E1-9B40-738C8E484872_zps

CFFB7DE9-2E9E-4575-BB73-648E479DEC01_zps

3D4CFE97-4405-49A4-97CD-A6ABFDB3C1C3_zps

I used a aoshima Toyota hilux for its frame, but cut and shortened to fit the s10 wheelbase. I also cut out the frame so i can fit a motor in there. I used a syclone front grill and modified it to fit the s10 bumper so it would resemble a stock s15/sonoma grill. I've still got a sealed kit to build as a stock truck, just decided to do something different with this one.

I wish had more time and money to build, but right now my priority is my schooling, I'll probably come back at some point but once i finish school 1:1's will be my main priority.