Model Cars Magazine Forum

'71 Vega project!!!!

cruz

THAT IS GONNA BE SUPER BADA$$!!! Can't wait to see it finished. What kit did the Rotary come out of? And... What size Wire Form DO you use for exhaust?
Thanks guys! Abe, just look back into the project and all your questions will be answered. It's an old Monogram kit....

2277-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I love these forums and even though sometimes we fall into some meaningless bickering here and there I wouldn't change them for the world. I also belong to another forum in Puerto Rico (scalebuilder.com) and some of the guys have taken a little bit of time to advice me on how to work around this engine. I do have some knowledge of the Rotary engine but not enough to feel comfortable when it comes time to adding detail to a few things here and there.

There are a lot of guys in P.R. who are very knowledgeable when it comes to this engine and they are also good friends of mine. They saw a few things that I am doing wrong and jumped in to help me, for that I am very grateful and even though I don't have the skills of a Bill Geary, I do want to make this engine as correct as possible.

One of the things they noticed is a small detail I missed on the intake manifold. They tell me it needs and extra section in the middle, the next couple of pictures will guide you better than what I am able to explain. I had to do a bit of scratchbuilding to accomplish this, nothing major... ;):rolleyes:

Anadiduradetubito001-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Anadiduradetubito002-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Anadiduradetubito005-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Like I said, it's nothing major but when you are doing something as close as possible to the real thing, it's important. They also told me about the way this engine is suppose to be supported to the chassis. I was doing it all wrong and didn't even noticed I had the answer right under my nose, all I had to do was look at the instructions from another RX7 kit and that was it. This step will also help push the engine more towards the rear, it was a little too far to the front.

rx7enginemounts1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

This is a picture of a 1/1 Rotary engine and its front support, as you can see by the pictures, I was kinda wrong! ;):lol:

vegaprojectheaders009-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

motormountrx7002-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

This is the correct way. Later on I will show the engine mounted on the chassis and hopefully it will look more correct. ;)

Good for you, Marcos. I appreciate your dedication to accuracy!

Looks like you got the manifold right, and the engine set back is much better. Since you are going with more accuracy, are you going to include the factory oil cooler? Rotarys need them because they tend to run hot.

It's a great build! I look forward to seeing more.

Scott

Here is a link to a pic that shows where the oil lines go. Just scroll down a bit. http://www.racingbeat.com/FRmazda1.htm

This is a blown intercooled version for an unfinished project.

Wankle2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Cruz,

The Rotary is a great concept!!! I noticed in your pics that there is a lot of room that the engine could be set back. Have you thought about modifying the chassis and perhaps the tunnel in the interior to accomodate the tranny? Setting that Wankel against the firewall would not only be more realistic, it would sure assist in the weight distribution of a drag car.

Marc

Wow Scott, thanks for the site, added it to my favorites. I will definitely consider adding those cooling lines, you are correct about how hot these engines run, they sure are little power plants!! Love that little blue engine you have there, your pulleys look amazing. I just bought some resin pulleys from Norm at Replicas and Miniatures, they will go perfect w/ this engine of mine!

Marc, I have already worked around my chassis and tunnel, I just don't have the pictures yet. Once I finish working with the motor mount up front I will add more photos, it's all coming together slowly but surely specially now that I have so much info and advice from you guys. Really appreciate your help here guys!!!! B)

Nice subtle mod Marcos.... ;)

This is going to be a sweet build.....I can feel it........ ;)

Thanks to Scott for the great link too.....I too have bookmarked for future reference. :P;)

Keep at it man, you're on the right track...Look forward to more soon.

cheers

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys, I am going to bore you a little bit more but I will guarantee you one thing, don't underestimate the amount of parts that this little engine has, with a littl time it can compete with the best detailed engines out there!!

Like I said before, I ordered a few resin pulleys from the best resin caster in the business, Replicas and Miniatures. These things are just awesome and will go perfect with this build. I will just post pictures of the build showing you guys the toyish looking pulleys and finishing up with Norm's resin casted ones. I Alcladed them in order to have more of a polished metal look and added a scratchbuilt alternator mount since the kit pulley had the alternator molded directly onto one of the pulleys without any real support.

Rotorpulleyinstallation004-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Rotorpulleyinstallation005-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Rotorpulleyinstallation006-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Rotorpulleyinstallation008-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Rotorpulleyinstallation011-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Rotorpulleyinstallation013-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Rotorpulleyinstallation017-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Rotorpulleyinstallation020-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Does this pretty girl have a name and address???

Rotorpulleyinstallation006-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Looks to me like Parts by Parks #1030 rubber strips.

This build is looking great.. Love the engine.. I Have a Tamiya RX-7 sitting here ready to be a donor to a future mini truck project.. Your research will come in great use..

Looks to me like Parts by Parks #1030 rubber strips.

This build is looking great.. Love the engine.. I Have a Tamiya RX-7 sitting here ready to be a donor to a future mini truck project.. Your research will come in great use..

This is used for fly fishing, don't know exactly what for but that was what was explained to me, either way it was genius!!! :lol:

Marcos,

Is this stuff by chance called scud back used in flies for shell-backs, wrapping bodies and realistic wing cases. Is kinda transluecent, strechty and easy to cut?

Clutch

Yes, it's what fly fishing enthusiasts use for making their lures..... :lol:

Marcos, i missed you at this past saturday's MAMA's meeting, was hoping to put a name with a face!

that little engine is turning out awesome and much better than the Buick V-6 as for a choice too. i hope the donor kit get's a new lease on life as well with an engine swap.

Dave

Too bad I missed you too my friend, hopefully I will be there at the next meeting, hope you can also make it.... :rolleyes:

I have done a bit more work on this thing, decided to go with an electric fan from an abandoned Tamiya Ferrari kit I had around there. I also did some chassis and header/muffler work, once the body is in place I will complete the rear part of the exhaust pipes. Also have to make a transmission support, that thing is just hanging in the air. I also did a bit of weathering on the chassis, very light though, and worked with the firewall to make sure the engine doesn't look too much to the front or rear.....

Vegachassisradiatorwork001-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Vegachassisradiatorwork008-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Vegachassisradiatorwork002-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Vegachassisradiatorwork010-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Vegachassisradiatorwork012-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Vegachassisradiatorwork017-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Vegachassisradiatorwork015-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I have been busy doing some painting on the body. I have chosen to go with Tamiya Light Gunmetal since I changed my mind about which powerplant to install in this thing. Before shooting the clear, I added some Chevy decals I had laying around. I still have to wetsand and polish the finish, it's pretty rough.... ;)

Vegapaintedbody011-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Vegapaintedbody012-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Vegapaintedbody009-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Vegapaintedbody007-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Vegapaintedbody006-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Vegapaintedbody013-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki