Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 70.5 ADRL Extreme Pro Mod Camaro Update: 6/4 addition of wheelie bar

Please excuse the bad pictures, due to taking them in the evening and poor lighting I may need to take some better ones. But I wanted to share this small update.

I made my own Photo Etched Aluminum door handles and the drivers side actually is functioning now, just need to add the spring. This way it will spring back into its original position when not held. When I cut out my 4" Hole in the plexi window and add the trim ring, it will just finish this door off really nicely.

IMG_3417-1.jpg

Drivers door with Handle in place and door locked.

IMG_3411.jpg

That's awesome bart, Any pics of the guts?

Bart that is just plain Awesome!!! I have to agree with Joe... any pics of the inside. Would love to see how you make the working door handles. I may have to borrow your idea for them one day. Keep up the great work. Love seeing updates on this. Thanks for sharing with us.

Thanks, Joe and Chris for the complements... Now a magician never shows how he does his tricks... :D Let me wrap up some of the rough edges on the inner door panel and get the spring pinned and in place. Then I will shoot some final pics of the door with the latch plate installed and let you see the inner workings/guts. It isn't rocket science, as I always say, due to using the "KISS" (Keep It Simple Stupid) method. :)

Because once completed the door panel will be all welded shut and I wont have access to take it back apart. So I tried to limit as much as possible the working parts.

LOL holy this is a cool build !

Thanks Robert! And to think that it was your fault that spawned the whole Tube Chassis building, from your "Chassis 101" thread! I have just taken your basics and just built onto it from there with Reference Pics.

So I have to say, a BIG Thank You goes out to you as well.

........CLUNK....sorry that was my jaw hitting the floor....you are a mad man. This is completely insane and I love it....keep up the amazing work.

..... As I get my shovel out to pry your jaw off of the floor and the wet mop to clean up the drool... as I don't want to slip and fall as I might break something. :D

Thanks Steven for the complement.

That's awesome Bart. I'm continually amazed by the quality and detail of your work...

I appreciate it Scott, I am glad that I am able to show case some of my many talents and share with others on this Board. I just wanted to say that I enjoyed getting to talk to you at the KC Slammers a couple months back. I have to say your new PE parts you are putting out are really nice, now I just need to put them to use on my 66 Nova project. :rolleyes:

Ok, some of you have asked to see the inner workings of the door. This is DEFCON 5 here and very confidential like "Area 51" stuff.... :D

Here is a better pic of the hinge on the front of the door with the inner door skin in Primer. Almost done just a few touchup spots and it will be finished. As you can see I also have the inner door fire retardant sound barrier in place and this will be how it will look when buttoned up.

IMG_3418.jpg

This pic if you look close in the locked position you can see the piano wire protruding out in the locked position.

IMG_3419.jpg

And last but not least... the Class 6 TOP SECRET part everyone has been asking for.

The spring I had was to small and didn't allow enough movement, so on a search for a different one. I have my eye on one now, just need to break down and buy them.

IMG_3422.jpg

You can see where I had to dig out some of the resin for the Piano wire, because of the door panel protruding inward, it started to interfere with the movement of the locking mechanism.

Like I said, it is very simplistic and does the required job. I just have to notch the end to accept the opposite pin that is mounted on the chassis.

badgass, krazyglu, and Batzilla, Thank you for the complements, it is greatly appreciated.

If anyone has an suggestions on where I can search for a miniature spring, it would be much appreciated. Found some on the Bay, but could go smaller possibly.

My next project, I am sure others will get a kick out of as I begin moving forward on the build! So many plans for this build, just hoping I can pull them all off.

That door handle mechanism thingie could work with ANYTHING. Great craftsmanship. Good luck on your spring hunt.

Joe you are correct, it could be used in many places. It is pulled directly from a 1:1 door handle mechanism where it attaches to the door/rod. That little "Z" section... only difference is that on the 1:1 they have a little plastic piece that would drop down over the bar and snap to secure it from falling off of the door handle.

Edited by eviltwincustoms

Bart, your door detail is fantastic. I will also say that I will have to be trying out your hinge method on my next pro mod subject. As far as the spring hunt goes, the perfect size spring for what you need is as close as your nearest hardware store that sells or re-keys door locks. The springs inside a door lock mechanism are the perfect size for what you need with just the right type of tension. Check it out. If you can't find anything near you let me know. I have quite a few and can afford to spare a couple.

Bart, your door detail is fantastic. I will also say that I will have to be trying out your hinge method on my next pro mod subject. As far as the spring hunt goes, the perfect size spring for what you need is as close as your nearest hardware store that sells or re-keys door locks. The springs inside a door lock mechanism are the perfect size for what you need with just the right type of tension. Check it out. If you can't find anything near you let me know. I have quite a few and can afford to spare a couple.

Thanks Wayne, I will go hunt down a TrueValue Hardware store and see if they may have something. If not i will be getting in touch.

Hey Bart,

Take a look at centuryspring.com They've got a ton of springs, many of which are smaller than .125 OD. Not sure how small you're looking for, but you can search their site. Good luck! Oh...BTW, I love the simplicity of your latch mechanism. It's really a cool feature. Of course your whole build is just chock full of cool features, so I repeat myself... :-)