Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Blast To The Past

novadose71

Our club had it's first build day for our '08 diorama. We are taking our previous '72 diorama from a couple years ago, and backdating it to '61 when a burger and ice cream drive-in joint stood where the Clark station and movie theatre would stand a short eleven years later(and the speed shop was an empty grass lot.)

Here it is in it's first life, Circa 1972, gas crunch era.

P1010784.jpg

We are getting rid of a few buildings, adding a couple, and backdating the rest. The center parking lot was made bigger, wiping out a few curbs in the process, and added a gravel alley and a grassy area for picnic tables. A few area's were fixed in the pavement, and all painted markings were sanded smooth. More cracks were added the streets and sidewalks, then we repainted all the pavement and added a wash to the cracks.

Dio08003.jpg

Now it was time to set it up(pics below) and make our plans and figure out what needs to be gathered for our next build day. After a 9 hour day, base modifications are done, next we start to add details.

Dio08020.jpg

Dio08017.jpg

Here is the scratchbuilt main structure for the drive-in awning, it will eventually get a corrugated roof. Next update in a couple weeks. Thanks for stoppin' by.

Dio08024.jpg

Edited by novadose71

Our club had it's first build day for our '08 diorama. We are taking our previous '72 diorama from a couple years ago, and backdating it to '61 when a burger and ice cream drive-in joint stood where the Clark station and movie theatre would stand a short eleven years later(and the speed shop was an empty grass lot.)

Here it is in it's first life, Circa 1972, gas crunch era.

P1010784.jpg

We are getting rid of a few buildings, adding a couple, and backdating the rest. The center parking lot was made bigger, wiping out a few curbs in the process, and added a gravel alley and a grassy area for picnic tables. A few area's were fixed in the pavement, and all painted markings were sanded smooth. More cracks were added the streets and sidewalks, then we repainted all the pavement and added a wash to the cracks.

Dio08003.jpg

Now it was time to set it up(pics below) and make our plans and figure out what needs to be gathered for our next build day. After a 9 hour day, base modifications are done, next we start to add details.

Dio08020.jpg

Dio08017.jpg

Here is the scratchbuilt main structure for the drive-in awning, it will eventually get a corrugated roof. Next update in a couple weeks. Thanks for stoppin' by.

Dio08024.jpg

Looks like a fun project. Wish that there was a local club here.

Hello there friends! When i joined the forum this was one of the most memorable posts that i saw(where were you)!I enjoy you guys work and the dio was amazing. Will you post WIP pic or the final display! Thanx for posting and keep on wit the keepin on!!

peace

ajulia

This should be nice! I loved your 1972 diorama..............it'll be interesting to see a snapshot of life in the year I was born. ;)

It'll be neat to see what cars you put in the dio.................sure enough plenty of chrome and fins, and wraparound windshields! :)

• 2 weeks later...

We had a mini build meeting last night. Painted stripes on the road, added some grass next to the dairy bar, and a little tar to the street cracks. Then it was time to add buildings, a few vehicles, and some details for a mockup, then I left for work at 9 pm so there is no telling what got done after I left, I do know Sam Adams was there, so probably not a whole lot. :lol: . The Dairy bar is coming along nicely. One member is building the awning, another is doing the building. We did final placement of the tavern in relation to the grass,curbs, etc., now that can receive it's facelift. Our car list is getting revisions as we progress which is typical. That's all, enjoy. Next build is March 22nd, look for an update on or shortly after Easter. Thanks for stopping, bye.

Dio08107.jpg

Dio08113.jpg

Dio08125.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Had another club build today. We spent the day making street signs, lightpoles, concrete slabs by the back doors of the buildings, prepping resin details and figures, striping and weathering the parking lot, preliminary plotting for the placement of vehicles and figures(a map will be made before the NNL for the final placement of anything removable, which is pretty much everything).

There was progress made by individual members on the vehicles and buildings that we are working on at home. There was paint and flooring on the drive in building and interior details prepped and planned out. The canopy is being built separately by another member. The paint and the fluorescent & neon "lighting" were done, the front fascia, signage, menu boards, and small details are in process. Lines and some weathering were added to the parking lot as well.

The side of pub next door was left open when the speed shop was lopped off. It's now closed off and bricked up. Final details and signage are also in the works.

Unfortunately I didn't get many pics today, these are the only two good ones I got, and no close-ups. I'll do better next time. :lol: The faces have been changed to protect the innocent.

That's all I can think of for this installment. 28 days left until the show :rolleyes::D Next build day in two weeks, we'll probably do a mock-up, and finalize any details to get finally finalized the

following Tuesday, which is the week of the show. :D Thanks for stopping. See ya in a couple weeks.

Dio08160.jpg

Dio08159-1.jpg

Edited by novadose71

• 2 weeks later...

Had our last build before the show today, the clock is ticking with two weeks to go until the NNL. Individual "homework" projects were coming along nicely with most all nearing completion. All of our vehicles, and most of our figure choices were finalized today. Placement of everything is an ongoing process that will be finalized at our next meeting, and then plotted on a hand drawn map. After that it's just a few short days to finalize our individual projects, then off to the show the following Saturday. That's all, thanks for stopping by.

Dio08210.jpg

Dio08190.jpg

Dio08239.jpg

Dio08201.jpg

Dio08229.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We're almost done. These are from our build meet last Tuesday night, last one. Final plotting of figures and vehicles was decided. Some individual projects had final details that needed to be wrapped up, hopefully by tomorrow at 2 pm, that is when we set-up at the show. I'll post a bunch more pics after we set-up outside this summer, natural sunlight adds so much more to the pics. Well, I'm off to the basement to finish my projects. Thanks for following along.

Dio08260.jpg

Dio08261.jpg

Dio08263.jpg

Dio08293.jpg

• 4 weeks later...