Model Cars Magazine Forum

Brand kits

My first newb question so go easy on me.

I was just wondering what brand kits would be considered "better" than others? By "better", I'm wondering are there kit manufactures that tend to make more detailed, more complex kits compared to another manufacturer? Are there some brand kits that are just best to avoid?

My first newb question so go easy on me.

I was just wondering what brand kits would be considered "better" than others? By "better", I'm wondering are there kit manufactures that tend to make more detailed, more complex kits compared to another manufacturer? Are there some brand kits that are just best to avoid?

There's no real good answer to that, because most manufacturers have released their share of good and bad kits over the years. To say Brand "A" is "better" than Brand "B" would be an extreme oversimplification.

If I can make one very general remark, I'd say that overall, over the years, Japanese kits have been generally better designed (crisper molding, better engraving, more precise parts fit, etc.) than American brand kits...but that's not always the case! Also, be aware that many Japanese kits are/were issued as "curbsides", meaning no opening hood and no engine! See how trying to make a blanket statement as to which brand is "better" than another can get messy?

If you're looking to build a model of a specific car, for example, your best bet would be to ask about that specific car/kit here on the forum. Who makes the best model of a (insert car here)? Who's kit has the best detail? Who's built that model and has any insights?, etc. You'll get more useful information asking specific questions like that rather than a generic "Which brand is best" type of question.

Ok, here's a question along the same line. Would you say that newer kits are far more detailed than older kits?

Once again that can be subjective..........While for the most part kits out of the '60's were somewhat basic such as AMT, there were more detailed ones such as MPC, Revell, that had such things as separate exhausts, rear ends, separate interior parts. etc. While not all were easy to build, it gave the modeler something a bit more than your basic promo based stuff.

It all depended on the builder and what they could or wanted to handle.

A lot of AMT kits out of the '50's and '60's were based on promos, so they had a lot of chassis parts molded in. The AMT (nee ERTL) of the mid '80's began to get more into detail as those of us then over 25 wanted to get into something more challenging now that we were older than what we built as kids in the '60's and '70's.

So you began to see kits such as the super great AMT 1966 Nova, the '66 Fairlane, MPC Fieros, Camaros, Mustangs and so on.

Today's newest kits far exceed what could have only been dreamed of in the '50's and '60's but as I mentioned above, there were some great kits then.

Now there are some duds out there being molded today............that's why it's good to stay tuned to this board as they'll get pointed out from time to time. :lol:

Just build what suits you as everyone has their own tastes and build style----------and most of all have fun! :lol:

Personally I liked the Johan kits the bodys and motor detail you can`t beat it.

John Pol

Yup! Johan had the best scale fidelity IMO when it came to exact looking bodies. But remember, Johan was also a major promo maker in the '50's and '60's and had a close relationship with GM, Mopar, and AMC.

GM would not let anything get approved by them if it wasn't up to their standards in the appearance end of it.

Likewise AMC's were done by Johan, and while they were sort of everyone's whipping boy then, you couldn't argue against their bodies not being correct. :lol:

..............and frankly, Johan made THE BEST 1970-74 'Cuda body hands down!