Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 917 LH

Scale-Master

And a few more… I needed to put the top stripes on to be able to properly locate the roundels on the sides...
DSC03853_zpsdac8b60c.jpg
…Which I needed to do so I could clear coat the lower sections of the body before installing the interior and engine bay parts into them. I also added the other decals to the lower side areas at the same time.
DSC03854_zps0f6a51dc.jpg
And cleared then assembled them…
DSC03857_zps6215a95e.jpg
DSC03858_zps7449aa8e.jpg

Thanks Dan!

Now I am running into some tight fitting issues. All the materials take paint well so that paint build up is nearly a zero issue and many of the pieces are being hand painted after installation.

It would have been much easier to install the half shafts before the shocks and sway bar & links, and I had to unbuild a little, but I followed the instructions in this case where in other sections I took my own path fearing this outcome.

The rear frame is also picking up some unnatural bends, but there is no way for it to fit otherwise, and everything else still lines up. I’m hoping I can persuade them into a straighter look. Surprisingly it still all fits under the body.

DSC03866_zps85049f54.jpg

DSC03867_zps85feb7be.jpg

DSC03868_zps81c84092.jpg

Edited by Scale-Master

I really don't think so. The rods are anchored to the frame at points far rearward of the bulkhead. And adjustments like that would not be much help to the driver. From what I understand these cars were pretty flexible as well.

The kit does provide the shifter linkage from the shifter in the cockpit all the way to the transmission though.

Nice build. Here is a little trivia for you, Porsche would pressurize the tubular chassis with air. They mounted an air pressure gauge in the driver cockpit. If the pressure dropped the driver would then know a weld or a frame member had failed.

Thanks guys. I do recall hearing that now JC, thanks for the info, that is a neat piece of trivia.

The fit of the rear hub carriers and brakes appears to be quite well, but I am getting a little gun shy after some of the other fit issues even after repeated test fitting sessions… All in all for how many parts there are to deal with and on such a small scale, I’m still impressed with the overall fit.

DSC03870_zps9007ac53.jpg

DSC03869_zpsf38ce74b.jpg

Thanks Glenn,

Had to wait a bit while nature took a turn on it. I made a jig from styrene to coax the rear section to be straighter and let it sit in the garden window for a few days. I didn’t want too much heat and deal with potentially warping the rear resin section.

Looks like it helped, I’ll deal with it later if need be. I started installing the final detail parts for the engine bay. I’ll take care of the minor paint touch up later.

DSC03877_zpsdd1df74b.jpg

DSC03876_zpsac3a3e19.jpg

DSC03875_zps7e2a1833.jpg

Thanks Carl, still plugging along...

The dash fits, but had to be moved rearward a little bit to look right through the windshield. I had to remove the mounting points cast into the bottom of the dash. I mocked up the body to the chassis and tacked the dash to the frame. Later I reinforced the cement points.

DSC03896_zps0a9f85af.jpg

The chassis, engine and interior are pretty much done, just a little touch up here and there to do.

DSC03897_zps81199dab.jpg

DSC03898_zps3094007a.jpg