Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '50 Oldsmobile Club Coupe 2'n1

So what's the status?

Thought it would be out by now.

Postponed till later in the year?

Guess I missed that.

Was looking forward to getting a look at the block..which i believe is a classic postwar hot rod OHV...a popular alternative to the flatheads along with the Caddy & early Hemi's ....

Edited by Casey

O.K. Nick.

Thanks for the heads up.

The only "vintage" Olds mills I'm aware of is the one in the classic AMT Willys gasser & the one in the Revell "Orange Crate".

I guess there may be others but can't speak to the level of detail.

I'm wondering if anyone ever put one out with the stock ribbed valve covers.

The "Orange Crate" has Offy heads...the AMT Willys had generic looking valve covers.

If not..maybe an aftermarket guy did them.

Don't think Norm at R&M ever did them.

The AMT '40 Ford sedan, Revell Beatnik Bandit, Anglia, Thames Panel and old opening door Stone Woods and Cooke Willys all have early Olds V-8s in them. I'm very anxious for that '50 Olds kit! I love them and it gives us another modern tool hot rod engine!

Dan-

Guess I forgot about the Beatnik Bandit having an Olds mill...how did I do that?

I thought the Revell gasser kits..the Anglia & Thames Panel..had fuel injected small block Chevies in them...cuz I thought that's all NHRA would let them run back in the day.

I don't know if I have an AMT '40 Ford Sedan in my stash..but I have a couple of Stone Woods Cooke Willys somewhere.

In any case..I don't think I've ever seen anything that looks like the classic Olds Rocket 88 in 1/25th scale.

Will keep waitin' for the '50 Olds stocker & keep the fingers crossed.

Besides out of the box builds, this kit has lots of interesting potential...I suspect with some effort it could be kitbashed with the AMT '51 Chevy kits to do a Chevy coupe and Olds hardtop, convertible, and fastback variations...

As they're all A-bodies, it could conceivably work.

Some facts and figures to keep in mind....

Dimension/area of different Chevy Olds

1951 dimensions used 1950/51 dimensions used as noted

Wheelbase 115” 119 ½” (1949-50,) 120” (1951)

Overall length 197 13/16 (including bumpers) 204” (1951)

Width Not listed 76” (1951)

It'll probably work, but like Rob said, may take a little massaging.

Source: The Old Car Manual Project.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

Looks like Revell has already thrown in some parts for a gasser/drag type build with the roll bar and rear seat delete plate. Could those be an indication of things to come?

I'm guessing it will be much like the '69 Nova SS Special Edition 2'n'1 kit, with a few extra racing-type parts added such as super narrow slicks, "mag" wheels, the roll bar you mentioned, and possibly a few engine hop-up parts like headers, etc.

'50s cars are getting a lot of love from the model companies lately.

Is the fact that the front and rear suspension are on very small (pretty much containing only one part) sprues a major clue that the second option will be something with a very different front and rear suspension?

Is the fact that the front and rear suspension are on very small (pretty much containing only one part) sprues a major clue that the second option will be something with a very different front and rear suspension?

Oooh..maybe they are planning to do a donk version! :)