Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Buzz: New Pocher Kits

sjordan2

I hope that the Testarossa isn't brought back.I got one as a Christmas gift years ago(boxed as a Testor/Pocher) from my now ex wife.It was the most disappointibg kit I've ever had.I knew I was trouble when I read the cover page of the instruction manual and it mentioned that there were "design economies" taken with the kit.Then it went downhill from there.The paint on the doors didn't match the rest of the body,most of the suspension attaching screws stripped out,and the opening panels didn't line up properly.No way was that kit worth the $200 price.

Edited by ZTony8

It would be nice if it would be some Bugattish material, A Napoleon, surprofile, Atalante or type 64. But I am not going to hold my breath on that.

But for buying those older Pocher kits, I am glad to be on this side of the pond. A brand new RR Torpedo/ambassador goes for around 600-700 dollars over here.

They already did a Surprofilé. An Atalante would be very cool.

post-4455-0-71362800-1357336938_thumb.jp

There's a 1/8 Atlantic pre-built out there, at megabucks ($9,500 at Ralph Lauren's website).

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12282160&utm_medium=12282160&utm_source=Shoppingdotcom&utm_campaign=CSE

Edited by sjordan2

If you dig deeper into the Lauren site, you'll see that he has a number of 1/8 cars from his collection at the same price. Of course, some large scale models from Wingrove and Fine Art Models can hit $30,000 or more.

Edited by sjordan2

I saw his 1:1 250 TR in person at a local shop being lightly refurbished in the late '80's.

It is flimsy and scary to sit in much less drive. It does have some beautiful and delicate fittings but the V12 is the whole reason for the car.

Worth how many million today??

I hope that the Testarossa isn't brought back.I got one as a Christmas gift years ago(boxed as a Testor/Pocher) from my now ex wife.It was the most disappointibg kit I've ever had.I knew I was trouble when I read the cover page of the instruction manual and it mentioned that there were "design economies" taken with the kit.Then it went downhill from there.The paint on the doors didn't match the rest of the body,most of the suspension attaching screws stripped out,and the opening panels didn't line up properly.No way was that kit worth the $200 price.

That is a shame. I would like to do a big ferrari. Now, the only other i would consider is the Alfa Romeo Spyder.

Joe

@Joe: it is still worth building it, are you a modelbuilder or what? I just dissassembled a TR Spider and even though it isn't a Pocher classic, it still has some good points and it is a great canvas for detailling. It is for example way more detailled than the Monogram 1/8 offerings. Pocher is not a dreamkit and the more modern cars are more like die-cast. But a decent modelbuilder can get to get this models to the next level.

My TR wasn't badly aligned with bodypanels, but it can be adjusted, it just is fiddly and time-consuming, but those are challenges. Just get them at a good price, usually for 100 bucks it should work, invest a bit more in detailling parts

They already did a Surprofilé. An Atalante would be very cool.

attachicon.gifPOCHER_BUGATTI-K86.jpg

There's a 1/8 Atlantic pre-built out there, at megabucks ($9,500 at Ralph Lauren's website).

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12282160&utm_medium=12282160&utm_source=Shoppingdotcom&utm_campaign=CSE

@Skip, I know, but I don't mind for it to come again, so I might be able to buy one for an affordable price :)

I stand by my thought that these new ones may not be as 'affordable' as we'd like. I'm thinking the $400 to $600 range. Remember, Tamiya gets that for smaller (1/12 scale), all plastic car kits. Their 12" P-51 is $200!

I stand by my thought that these new ones may not be as 'affordable' as we'd like. I'm thinking the $400 to $600 range. Remember, Tamiya gets that for smaller (1/12 scale), all plastic car kits. Their 12" P-51 is $200!

To be honest; I do find that affordable. Not for me, but in general, just look what those kits cost on the used market. They (the classics) barely start at 400, the Bugatti's go way over that. So yeah, I think 400-600 is realistic and reasonable. But it is for sure a lot of money and I don't have it haha.

Well, I prefer to be a bit careful about that whole challenging-somebody's-skills thing, but yeah, I too found my TR workable. There was an instance of thread-stripping in one of the rear bumper bosses, but drizzling some CA glue in there and letting it set gave the screw something to bite into again.

Given another go, I'd strip the body and paint it myself this time - exactly why I'm keen on having another go. B)

Interesting posts Guys.

I have built two or three Pochers...Classics; .Not the die cast ones. Yes they can be a bit frustrating where the fit of parts is not as good as it should be (e.g. Tamiya quality) for kits costing what they did. They are definitely not for the faint hearted and will require a lot of patience to do a good build. Some of the later offerings when the company was struggling had cheaper parts than before, but sadly the company's demise was on the cards at the time.

One bit of advice I can offer to avoid screw breakages is to check out the screw sizes in the kit and invest in some mm taps and a Tee shaped mini tap wrench. Ensure that every threaded hole is tapped out prior to assembly and this should alleviate a lot of assembly problems where the screws are concerned.

Regarding the Mercedes licencing thing that has been referred to in earlier posts Pocher's first Mercedes kit was, I believe made with collaboration between them and Mercedes. Apparently the story goes that Mercedes had lost drawings of the 500K subject of the first Pocher Mercedes kit. The original car belonged to a Tin Mining Magnate in Bolivia and Pocher has full access to the car whilst it was undergoing a full restoration, and prepared plans for all the parts, copies of which went to Mercedes for their archives.

Pocher's boss made the proud boast in their early days that they would only make kits of cars that would be different from other manufacturers offerings. but in the end had to go a bit mainstream with Porsche 911 and Ferrari Testarossa kits.

This modeller would have loved to see Pocher produce a Duesenberg SJ Phaeton with Murphy Coachwork........Dream on!

• 3 weeks later...

Other than what seems to be a spoiler, thats my 93 Grand Am. Crappy car, but I loved it. Not that Pocher would kit it buy any means, but I would by it if they did.

Here's what's out there now, and we'll find out Wednesday. Any guesses what's under the cover?

newPocherCovered_zpsc434e276.jpg

It appears this is going to be something of a striptease. But I think we can see where it's going...Maybe an F50? As the story goes, Pocher kit K62 was an intended kit in the late 90s, but the prototype was stolen, the Ferrari licensing was discontinued, and then-owner Rivarossi couldn't afford to pursue it further.

Picture11_zps58f23f5b.png

Picture12_zps272e54ed.png

Edited by sjordan2