Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 AEC Routemaster(London Bus)

Hey guys, thanks for your comments.

hgbben, if you are reffering to the price of the kit as to what did it go for, here in the UK , the retail price varies from between £36-£40, which considering how much plastic you get for your money is a very good deal indeed.

george53, you are saying that the Routemaster would make for a good race car hauler, then here are a few dimensions for you to ponder over. The finished model measures up at 14" long, 4" wide and 7" tall. These are approximate dimensions but nevertheless this thing takes up a lot of shelf space!!

Many thanks for all your kind words guys, I will try to answer a few of your questions.

Rich S, believe it or not , the camera that I am using for all my pics is the one on my mobile phone that for reference is a Samsung I 5801 touchscreen. I have tried using my digital camera but I get a much better picture on my mobile!!

rmvw guy, I have got numerous books on Routemaster buses which came in very useful for detail painting on the model.

lapazleo, yes this kit is very much worth the price as like I said earlier on in the thread, you certainly get a lot of plastic for your money.

Johnny, I am highly honoured if your wife mistook my model for the real thing!! Thanks for that.

Truckabilly, the paint that I used was from a car parts store that we have here in the UK called Halfords and the actual shade is Nissan red from an aerosol can.

Hopefully I have answered some of your questions correctly and many thanks again for all your interest.

Wonderful build. I wonder what the exchange rate is between the dollar and the pound. That kit sells for 100 to 135 dollars here in the states. Might be cheaper to buy it online from overseas. I want to build one myself as it would be something a little different.

Thanks for your comments Wally, I agree with you on hoping for Revell to give us an American bus, maybe a GM Fishbowl type Greyhound as i've always fancied building the 'Speed' bus. Just hope that I can keep it above 50mph........!!

Hi Darren, i'm so glad that my Routemaster has given you some inspiration for you to build one and like yourself, I also own 2!!

Can you please tell me in what part of the build you are reffering to about the reddish-purple colour? Is it the actual body colour, the interior or the colour of the wheels? If you can let me know, then I will try to help you out with that one and any other questions that you may have then please feel free to ask me as I have plenty of reference books regarding these buses. Thanks again for your interest.

Hi Darren, i'm so glad that my Routemaster has given you some inspiration for you to build one and like yourself, I also own 2!!

Can you please tell me in what part of the build you are reffering to about the reddish-purple colour? Is it the actual body colour, the interior or the colour of the wheels? If you can let me know, then I will try to help you out with that one and any other questions that you may have then please feel free to ask me as I have plenty of reference books regarding these buses. Thanks again for your interest.

Mark, Yes im sorry to not specify, its actually an interior color, like the wall color, I know the inside roof and part of the sides are a creamish color, or ivory but the instructions are pointing out on the walls a redish purple, ill take a look at the instruction sheet tomorrow and get more specific on it and let you know, thank you for your help.

Hi Darren, sorry for the delay in responding. The interior panels that you are refering to need to be painted a deep burgundy colour, I used a spray can for this as I was fortunate enough to find a very near perfect match whilst shopping at a home improvement store with the wife. (We were looking for wallpaper but this find was more important to me!!!) It does'nt have to be a gloss finish, more of a satin finish is what you are looking for to achieve a good result. You also state that the interior roof panels need to be painted cream, this is not the case. On the real buses, the interior roof panels were painted a gloss/satin yellow for back in the days when people were allowed to smoke on the bus, they would be easier to clean. I used Humbrol 69 Yellow from a spray can which gave the right effect but I suppose any gloss yellow would be sufficient to achieve the right results.

Hope this info is of some use to you and if you need any more help or any other questions you may have then please don't hesitate to ask.

Mark, thank you very much that helps a great deal now with the body, I have a few questions for underneath now, like the engine color, and frame work. I bought the haynes book on the routemaster and all the picks most all engine related and undercarriage seems to be of a silver type color, would silver be a good choice?