Model Cars Magazine Forum

adhesive applicator

I am trying to locate an applicator for liquid adhesive that will allow a small drop of glue (I use Plastic Weld) to be placed so that the capillary action will draw it into the piece. Currently I use old hyperdermic needles (my cat is diabetic), but they are good for one use and then the glue obstructs them. I purchased a stainless steel "thing" that looks like a surgical instrument with a tiny "P" on the end of it, but it requires you to put a small pool of glue on something and then scoop up the adhesive. I just can't get it to work well.

I saw Mr. Obsessive use something in one of the tutorials (they are great by the way) which looks like a glass tube that would draw a small drop and hold it until you touched the surface to be glued. Does anyone know what this is or what I should look for. I hate to spend any more money hoping to stumble accross what I am looking for!

wayne

I am trying to locate an applicator for liquid adhesive that will allow a small drop of glue (I use Plastic Weld) to be placed so that the capillary action will draw it into the piece. Currently I use old hyperdermic needles (my cat is diabetic), but they are good for one use and then the glue obstructs them. I purchased a stainless steel "thing" that looks like a surgical instrument with a tiny "P" on the end of it, but it requires you to put a small pool of glue on something and then scoop up the adhesive. I just can't get it to work well.

I saw Mr. Obsessive use something in one of the tutorials (they are great by the way) which looks like a glass tube that would draw a small drop and hold it until you touched the surface to be glued. Does anyone know what this is or what I should look for. I hate to spend any more money hoping to stumble accross what I am looking for!

wayne

Wayne - Touch and Flow applicator - Micro mark - http://www.micromark.com/TOUCH-N-FLOW-APPLICATOR,7841.html Been using them for years. Only needed 2 - I messed one up by pushing the needle into the plastic an clogging it. They work great. For super glue I use a fine piece of wire held by a hemostat. I put a drop on a piece of scrap plastic and dip the wire in to get as much or little as I want.

Thanks guys I appreciate the help. Mr. Obsessive I wanted to tell you that your work is amazing and I have picked up a lot from your tutorials and by following your comments . Hopefully I will get a decent camera soon and be able to post some of my own work. You and others on the forum have got me thinking outside the box and the hobby has become fun again.

Guest promodmerc
Wayne - Touch and Flow applicator - Micro mark - http://www.micromark.com/TOUCH-N-FLOW-APPLICATOR,7841.html Been using them for years. Only needed 2 - I messed one up by pushing the needle into the plastic an clogging it. They work great. For super glue I use a fine piece of wire held by a hemostat. I put a drop on a piece of scrap plastic and dip the wire in to get as much or little as I want.

If you let it sit in the glue you are using (Tenex Ambroid etc it will disolve it) Lacquer thinner would do the same.

If you let it sit in the glue you are using (Tenex Ambroid etc it will disolve it) Lacquer thinner would do the same.

That is true, but I use Weldon 3 & 4 and if you leave the cap off, about half of it goes away in about 4 hours. Got to keep the stuff capped.

Guest promodmerc
Get yourself some very fine .010 brass rod to clean out the tube if you need it.

That stuff is hair thin, and just the right diameter for cleaning out the applicator tube. :lol:

Never thought of that Bill. If i remember right the Testors liquid (in the black bottle) use to come with such a wire.