Model Cars Magazine Forum

50 Olds, a little plastic surgery

Fat Brian

Nice work on the chop Brian! Quartering the roof is the only way to do a chop right. Since you've widened the rear fenders, are you going to fill in the fenderwell opening? You mentioned changing the shape of the quarter windows. How about canting the B pillar slightly? That would change the shape of your quarter and door windows.

I have some 442 motors to choose from but I also have a ZR-1 motor that may find its way in here.

If you wanted to go with something late model, you could also rob the Shebly-tuned Aurora 4.0 V8 from the Revell Shelby Series 1, though you might need to find a conventional gearbox as that car has the late Corvette type torque tube/rear-mounted transaxle.

I don't have any idea what to use for power, I would really like to keep the drivetrain Olds but I want a modern motor. I don't want to have to drop a 350 in it just to get some updated parts.

.......Hey Brian, check with Sean (sstacey47). He casts an underhood blown, injected set up for a BBC. l easily adapted it to a 426 hemi & it looks wicked! l'm sure it would be even easier to adapt it to a 455. Just a thought. Bart

I picked up a Boyd Smoothster with a late model 350 with a nice multiport fuel injection top, it looks good since it came from a clean modern custom. I'm thinking about rescribing the door lines to make a pseudo hardtop and removing the B pillar completely. I'm probably going to leave the wheel openings alone to show off the wheels when I pick them out.

Here is a pic of the engine, it's plain but will get the job done.

003_zps1ae63288.jpg