Model Cars Magazine Forum

just ruined my paint with clear?

Hello, finnaly had some time for my models today. Buuilding a replica of my 1991 corvette from a promotional car. Well after a great basecoat color I sprayed on my testors glosscoat...............................sort of!

It seemed to come out in splotches and sputtered from a new can. Well now my body is ruined? It has bumps like orangepeel.

Any ideas if this could be a bad batch of clearcoat or did I do someting wrong? It was like it had little to no propellent in it.

I tossed it into the trash but can dig it out.

It was raining outside my shop but the clear was room temp.

What gloss clear do you lall use in spraycan form?

Thanks for your input.

Drew C.

Edited by DrewCfromSC

Sounds to me as if the spay nozzle were clogged. Paint could have leaked up under the spray button and caused a bit of blockage that will cause this. Try a spray button from another fresh can. If that doesn't cure the issue theres a clog in the valve that allows paint into the spray button.

Also- room temperature isn't always adequate. I always warm my spray cans under some warm running water for a couple minutes. It always helps the flow.

ok had a closer look and looks like the can might have had a small seam leak? Had some bubble like buildup along the lower edge where the bottom crimps the sides of the can. Guess im going to have to sand down a bit and respray. Thanks for the input.

Drew C.

Sometimes issues like that can be saved by a polishing kit and a load of your time. When using aerosols I always do a test spray to make sure the can is going to spray right. I learned from an instance just as you described here. And I did salvage the paint job after a ton of cutting buffing and poilishing. What made it even worse in my case was the color was black which shows every little tiny flaw.

The crystal clear or even the painters touch clear is good, i never had problems with those at least but lately i have not even been clear coating cars! I had the same experience as you with the testors can over a model i spent 10 or so hours painting the chrome trims ( yes i paint it with masking tape rather than foil because that's just how i like it ) and i had to do everything all over again. Clear coating black color is very difficult and using auto wax works just as well.

post-10452-0-87841600-1367352416_thumb.j

great info! Guess im just going to have to learn to slow down and read the instructions on different cans as well as here. Got a box of junkers to teach myself to spraypain again! Just when you think you know it all or is that a know it all? LOL!

Drew C.

I haven't used Testors spray cans in years for this reason . I know a lot of guys like them, but I have had several bodies ruined with extreme orange peel and sputtering. My cans were new, ordered from them by the hobby shop and picked up when delivered.

I stick with Tamiya, or airbrush, which I'm terrible at anyway, but I don't need any help being bad.

....might have had a small seam leak? Had some bubble like buildup along the lower edge where the bottom crimps the sides of the can....

Yup. Lost propellant.

...... Guess im just going to have to learn to slow down and read the instructions on different cans as well as here. Got a box of junkers to teach myself to spray....

Excellent idea.

I haven't used Testors spray cans in years...but I have had several bodies ruined with extreme orange peel and sputtering.

Knock on wood, I haven't had a problem yet that wasn't my own fault. This is Testors rattle-can one-coat lacquer, plus 3 coats of Testors rattle-can clear lacquer, as sprayed, not yet sanded and polished in this shot.

DSCN5573.jpg