Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello!

Here is my Hasegawa Type 2 Volkswagen. This is former service car of airport of Easter Island... Now it's owned by a local surf shop.

I tried to add as much bamboo as I could. I also scratch built some stuff. That gear shift knob is carved from polyurethane. Hula lady is also totally scratchbuilt.

I opened the roof and scratch built that sun roof. Safari frames are photoetched parts, couldn't find any from markets, so I designed my own ones.

tiki01.jpg

tiki02.jpg

tiki03.jpg

tiki04.jpg

moai.jpg

tiki08.jpg

Totally scratch built cooler.

tiki07.jpg

tiki09.jpg

Seats are made out of brass and metal wire

tiki01.jpg

Metal wire+little palstic parts+cotton+glue+paint= hula girl

tiki02.jpg

You may see that "AIRPORT SERVICE" text under the brown paint just below windshields.

Tell us how you did the bamboo.

I glued thin plastic rod around tube. After that I used small amount of putty to smoothen that area. I painted these with light brown. I used darker brown at these "knots". I used different materials with these bamboo sticks. Bumbers are pvc-tube. Antenna and gear shift are metal vire. Rails at back are ps-tube.

'Wow' seems like an inadequate term here, but that's pretty much what I'm saying out loud. I really love the safari window details and the wrapped steering wheel spokes.

...any chance you'd offer any more of those PE safari frames for sale?