Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Pontiac Bonneville

Hello!

This is my first post here. There is totally awesome model buils in this forum.

I wonder if there is any quality Full size 63 Pontiac resin kits available? Bonneville and Grand Prix are in my wish list.

What ever happened to AMT 58-64 Pontiac molds? Is there any hope to have them reissued?

:lol: Welcome Fender, Clad ta hear from ya, your gonna like it here. Lotsa great builds an even better peeps! Ask any questions, someone will know the answer.Post some pics, let's see your builds(they can't be as bad as mine!) And Mostly, ENJOY yourself! Have fun, an join in!!! :lol: Yeah, I'd like ta see a few of them oldies cast again too!

Fender, all we can do is hope! uh , go see what Model Car world offers that you like. I spoke to the owner in Winston salem NC last month and I was certainly suprised as to what he had. I saw a beautiful Tempest Wagon that can be purshaced as a kit. I was impressed with the way he treated the visitors to the booth as well. See, I was in business for years as a Manufacturer of Van accessories in Houston. As to us seeing any thing much from the NEW A M T. weeeellllll, I dunno, ill reserve comment fotr the time being. Ed Shaver

First off welcome! :lol:

I think the only route to a '63 Pontiac Bonneville may be the old unbuilt or built kit you can pick up at a show or eBay...........get ready to pay big bucks for an original though! :lol:

I know of no resin '63 Pontiac Bonnevilles..............but as Ed mentioned, Model Car World makes a '63 Catalina which I picked up at the Super September Showdown this past Sunday.

Here are some pics of what you get.............

P9192687-vi.jpg

P9192688-vi.jpg

P9192689-vi.jpg

P9192690-vi.jpg

P9192691-vi.jpg

P9192692-vi.jpg

P9192694-vi.jpg

IMO, the kit is excellently cast! No pinholes, very little cleanup!

The only drawback is there's no glass.............Dave suggests using the AMT '63 or '64 Impala kits, but if I get around to building this, I'll use clear stencil sheet and make my own front and rear glass.

You can use the AMT '62 Catalina for chassis and running gear and Modelhaus sells those beautiful 8 lug wheels and thin line whitewalls which can make this a real showpiece!

IIRC Model Car Garage sells scripts for the '62 which are close for the Catalina for a '63, although paying $17 for a couple scripts is a but much. I really don't care for the decals though.

One faux pas I see in the grille casting is the Bonneville script is still in place. :lol:

For $45, this is an excellent buy IMO!! :lol:

Edited by MrObsessive

:lol: WoW Bill, THATS one nice casting! I've got a few conversions from MCW and they ARE VERY WELL DONE!! I sure don't remember tha interior bein just a bucket like that though.Did he modify it for the NASCAR kits he sells? Sure looks nice, guess I'm gonna hafta get one, now that I seen yours! :lol:

I'm not sure George as I've not seen the NASCAR version. Looks like he used the '62 Catalina as a starting point as the original '63 Bonneville's interior was never that crisp as I have one.

I can see where he molded the separate door panels on to the floorpan........he just changed the pattern a bit to suit a '63. Seat patterns were changed too as Bonnies and Catalinas were different.

One will have to send the chrome out to be plated (I'd send the dash too as they were quite chromey!). He suggests using Alclad chrome to paint the bumpers.........some may disagree, but IMO it just ain't the same as actual chrome------especially if you're going to enter a judged contest with one. :lol:

Thank you very much for pictures. I already knew that MCW had that Catalina. Body seems to be straight and crisp casting. Did Amt originals have so detailed interior or is this MCW master?

I remember that I saw someones netsite pictures of resin 63-64 Pontiac castings(Poncho Pio). Maybe they were copies of amt originals. Is anyone familiar with these products or better yet if caster is member of this forum?

I really like these full loaded Bonne and GP Pontiacs in reality. It would be great to build model of them.

My friend has 1:1 restored 63 GP so I have great reference near me.

What a co-inky-dink, 63 Bonny happens to be my next build after a couple Nova's get finished up. It will be Nocturne blue with a tri tone blue interior and Modelhaus 8-lug wheels. It's an old built up, it will take a dip in the purple pond tomorrow night. This one has mismatched front seats, I'm pretty sure Modelhaus cast's these, but thanks to this thread, I will check MCW as well. Wish I could help with your search, good luck.

oldbuild030.jpg

You have fine project material Novadose! Please let us see in-progress pics. I bet that it will be well build model as usual. Modelhaus has almost all replacement parts for 63 Bonne, except body and chassis. So only original kit body is needed to build model. I have a plan for Amt 62 pontiac chassis... That wide side molding is very attractive. There is also super cool dashboard and interior in 63 Pontiac.

Shall I say much rich looking than same period Chevrolet Impala SS has. And I am Chevrolet enthusiast myself.

What a co-inky-dink, 63 Bonny happens to be my next build after a couple Nova's get finished up. It will be Nocturne blue with a tri tone blue interior and Modelhaus 8-lug wheels. It's an old built up, it will take a dip in the purple pond tomorrow night. This one has mismatched front seats, I'm pretty sure Modelhaus cast's these, but thanks to this thread, I will check MCW as well. Wish I could help with your search, good luck.

oldbuild030.jpg

Make sure that you gey the '64 up 8-lugs from the Modelhaus, as the '63 8 Lugs in the kit are wrong. Also, the '63 Bonneville did not have a tri-tone interior in stock form, for some reason I can't explain. I hava a convertible that I am going to do in White, with a blue interior. A friend of my father's had that combo. It was a stunning car.

Thanks for the heads up Ron. I haven't done much research on these yet, it's a commission build and all my info so far is from the guy I'm building for. He sent me the link below to get me started, gotta love those old artist renderings, it's the door panel he is after.

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/pix/Pon...ntiac02_jpg.jpg

The Modelhaus 8 lugs are on my "to buy" list for this build, he told me that he had heard that they recently reworked them to be more accurate.

I also have a friend in my model club that is a Pontiac nut, and he is also a big magazine/book/bruchure collector as well, soooooo, if we can ever find a time where we are both free to sort through his stash for a couple hours I should have all the research material I need. Tanks again.

• 1 month later...

In looking at the ad photo, the dashboard and forward part of the door was a darker shade of metallic blue, while the seats and rear part of the door was a lighter shade of metallic blue, with a darker blue band, and the carpeting was still another shade of metallic blue. The colors were very close to each other. My cousin had a '63 Bonneville hardtop with a black interior. The brochure has some good illustrations. I removed a paint job and cleaned up an old '63 Bonneville hardtop promo last week. Here's how it looks now, but I am planning to paint it another color, detail the interior, and "bare metal" it.

IMG_3671-vi.jpg

Here is a Ebay link to a '63 Bonneville Convertible with some excellent pictures.

63 Bonneville Converible on Ebay

Edited by Ron Hamilton

That promo reminds me of mine..I have a '63 Bonneville ht promo that's kind of an unusual pinkish off-white. Also have a white '63 convertible promo w/ a dark green interior....have restorable kits of the ht and convertible also in my stash. I plan to get the MCW '63 Catalina 2dr sedan and ht also...

Another resin caster did a '63 Bonneville wagon..it was either F&F or R&R, IIRC..

Actually Rob, it was Drag City Resins [Ed Fluck Jr.] who did the wagon. Not shure if he still does them though.

Ah, yeah...IIRC, it used to be in F&F's (Ed Fluck Sr) catalog also. That's cool..I have several of the R&R early '60s GM wagons..one of these would be nice to go with those.

In looking at the ad photo, the dashboard and forward part of the door was a darker shade of metallic blue, while the seats and rear part of the door was a lighter shade of metallic blue, with a darker blue band, and the carpeting was still another shade of metallic blue. The colors were very close to each other. My cousin had a '63 Bonneville hardtop with a black interior. The brochure has some good illustrations. I removed a paint job and cleaned up an old '63 Bonneville hardtop promo last week. Here's how it looks now, but I am planning to paint it another color, detail the interior, and "bare metal" it.

Thanks for the tri tone info, Ron, I was counting the carpet color as a 3rd color, but any way you slice it, it makes for a very nice looking interior, and it happens to be one of my favorite parts of a build. And also thanks for the ebay link, lots of great closeup shots in there. I did find some decent blue interior shots somewhere on the web so these combined with yours should be all I need.

I got my modelhaus order last week :) so I will be tearing into the Bonneville next weekend. I got a complete interior kit with front seats molded in and the dash/ steering wheel and also got a separate front seats/console piece, I don't know if I will salvage the original or use the complete resin interior yet, I'll figure it out as I progress. Also got tires, vacuum formed front and rear windows, and all the chrome, you really can build one of these from just a kit body shell, what would we do with out Modelhaus. Oh yeah, the 8-lugs were labeled on the package as 63-64 models, and Don said there have been no upgrades to the wheel castings, so my source was wrong.

I'll try to start and keep up on a WIP thread on the 63(and the 62 following it), but the body is in primer now so I'm already behind...........typical. ;)