Model Cars Magazine Forum

HEMTT Fire Water Tanker/Tender

Okay Guys,

After a move halfway across the country, and going from a 4 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom apartment - I am ready to begin building again! As a mostly "fire apparatus builder", and lover of tankers/tenders, I recently purchased the following kit:

picsay-1346555757.jpg

It is an Italeri 1:35 scale HEMTT M978 military tanker. While I usually build only 1:24-25 scale vehicles, this is one that I have wanted to do for a while. Most of these units are in use by our armed forces, but Oshkosh/Pierce Manufacturing offered these as civilian units a few years back under the name Phoenix. Few of these were ever sold. The only two that I know of was a blue/purple demo unit for a contract fire protection firm. The unit pictured here belongs to a fire company in Pennsylvania:

tanker_23.jpg

I do not know if this was part of the Phoenix line, or surplus.... It will be painted to match the livery of my fictitious Bear Fire Department's Lums Pond Station 4:

416-01-1.jpg

picsay-1320635490.jpg

picsay-1325430533.jpg

dep4-03.jpg

I will be attempting to paint this in the apartment in the Florida heat and humidity without the aid of a spray booth or airbrush... Wish me luck! Thanks for looking!

Edited by hooknladderno1

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

Here is a little update:While the kit wheels leave something to be desired, I thought I would try to make them serviceable.

picsay-1350608176.jpg

picsay-1350608334.jpg

picsay-1350608509.jpg

picsay-1350608835.jpg

I have been taking my time with the chassis, filling sink marks and removing mold lines. The tank has a large horizontal seam that requires filling.

picsay-1350609379.jpg Two axles have been glued in place, the other two are awaiting the drive train painting to be completed. It has been challenging figuring out what colors to paint the chassis components, because the military M978's are painted either all one color or camoflauge. Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Looking good! I'd say, as far as color goes, if they were all the same color when they were OD green, I'd think they'd be the same color when they were yellow too... I know that I wouldn't change procedure just in changing a color... Besides that, the frame looks good yellow!

• 2 weeks later...

Another little update: Work continues on the major sub assemblies and parts. The tank is just about ready for some white primer and color! The rear tank/control assembly also is nearing the paint shop stage. Have yet to start the cab, which will be white over bright yellow. I have been coloring a few different copies of the line drawings on the instruction sheet to see where I want the white/yellow color breaks to be... Plans also include a horizontal royal blue "Z" stripe along the body. I am also considering some "Smokey the Bear" graphics, as this is a brush tanker for the Bear Fire Dept.

picsay-1351800095.jpg

The polished aluminum pieces(fuel tank, small compartment and area over the front wheels) was done with a base coat of Krylon gloss black and Duplicolor Uniiversal Chrome as pictured below:

picsay-1351728653.jpg

Below are close-ups of the tank:

picsay-1351800174.jpg

picsay-1351800267.jpg

I have a busy work schedule over the next 10 days, so I don't expect much of an update... Thanks for looking!

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Another small update. I have been working on the cab. There are a number of molding "stubs" to sand off, on the inside, as well as small round depressions to fill. The seats needed to be filled as they had such deep creases in them, they looked like they came from the junk yard. I am waiting on an order of Gator Grip glue to arrive, so that I can glue in the cab glass. I am also working on joystick controls for the bumper mounted water turret. This will be a scratchbuilt affair, as the M978 kit does not have one. Here is a quick photo of the cab mock up in place.

picsay-1353554017.jpg

Hope to have more progress photos to share soon! Thanks for looking!

David

Edited by hooknladderno1

Looking good.. with such a large subject 1/35 scale is probly still big.. I love military based trucks and other veh. I just wish they was in 1:25 too.

Me too Derick! I normally build 1/24-1/25 scale. But, since this kit is only offered in 1/35, it was the only option... I am planning a 1/25 scale Oshkosh P-19 ARFF

P-19_Kern_C0.jpg

for my semi-fictitious Summit Airport ARFF station.

Hey Dave, looking good. That apartment is not holding you back. So you're in FLA now? Figures, I move to Delaware and you hit the road on me. LOL... Keep up the good work, this will be a neat project, but I'm looking forward to your P-19 in 1/25. Easy scratchbuild!! TS

Great work, Man...This is gonna be an awesome project...I wish I could get a hold of the 1/25 scaler from Revell..Or was it Italeri....Anyway, that would be so cool...I've seen those go for as much as $500...But this one's gonna look really cool...

Edited by kilrathy10

• 2 weeks later...

Not to get off topic, but I just wanted to let you guys know that my man, Dave is good people...We made a flawless trade through the mail...I've never met or talked to the guy and everything went off without a hitch...In this world that constantly dissappoints, it's nice to know there are some honest people out there, still....I wish to convey my tremendous gratitude for being able to aquire a kit that I've wanted for years and was never able to get until now...And, believe me, I'm loving the kit....Thanks Dave!!!!! You the Man!!!! :D:D A fine individual, Gentlemen....A fine individual....

Edited by kilrathy10

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

Well, today is the last day of my vacation... Besides spending time with my family, setting up an area in the apartment for my dedicated decal computer, I have also had time to work on a few projects! This is one that was stalled. Embarrasingly, I was so afraid of screwing up gluing in the windows on the cab that I just kept putting it off. Finally, armed with a container of Gator's Glue and some courage, I tackled the challenge without too much difficulty! The fear of messing something up has slowed my building over the years. I am finally trying to move past this obstacle by reminding myself to "not sweat the small stuff". It is a hobby after all. :D

Anyway, here are some photos:

picsay-1363747120.jpg

I also tackled some of the engine components which are now being filled and sanded:

picsay-1363768066.jpg

picsay-1363768161.jpg

The cab interior detailing will be finished, then the cab will be "buttoned up" and the "glass" masked in preparation for primer and paint. Rain today and a busy work schedule through late next week will put those plans on hold for a bit... The goal will be a white over bright yellow color scheme as shown with the rest of the fleet at the beginning of this thread. Thanks for looking!

David

• 2 months later...

Here is an update - although much more has been done since these photos... The cab was finally assembled.

2013-04-08_22-22-37_937.jpg

2013-04-08_22-22-30_421.jpg

Tamiya White Surface Primer from a bottle was lightly brushed on to fill come of the surface depressions left from the molding process. The cab was masked off with Tamiya tape, and then painted with Tamiya White and Bright Yellow. Custom decals were made. Some have been applied, as can be seen below.

2013-05-15_23-37-42_569.jpg

Much more work is being done, such as completion of work on the platform just behind the cab, as well as applying diamond plate to the roof of the tank and rear pump control portion. Also, the blue/white stripe behind the cab is just placed there for mock up. The spare tire holder walls have since been placed. Striping will wrap around that area, as well as gold leaf striping between the white/yellow areas. Updates and photos to follow! As always, THANKS for looking! :D

Edited by hooknladderno1

• 2 weeks later...