Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 ford econoline vango..

• 1 month later...

Haven't worked on the econoline in a while thanks to running out of supplies and Christmas taking every bit of extra money, I'm sure we've all been there. Add to all that 5 days snowed in ( thanks to Michigan winters) and helping my mom after she had surgery, I hope to get going on this kit again soon. So if you've been checking the forum or wondering what in the he!!s been taking so long, stick with me guys up dates are coming soon...

• 5 weeks later...

It's FAR from done. I had hoped to have primer on it but, due to snow and more snow I haven't had a chance to get to the store so I tossed a paint on it I had just to see where I stood. I still have to put tail light buckets in and figure out the highlights, the driver side needs the wheel wells... If I named everything I still have to do you'd still be reading a year from now. Chassis on the other hand is coming together I'll get photos of that up soon... That's all I have to show for now

post-10513-0-99465200-1392103374_thumb.j

post-10513-0-95809900-1392103388_thumb.j

post-10513-0-27005700-1392103411_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

I drove a '62 Econoline back in the '70s. I bought another (bone stock) which is in my backyard. I would pay dearly for a resin body to do. Dad had a 67(?) Dodge A100 with windows on one side and a pop-up sheet metal camper top. I'm just about to start construction on that.

My old Econolines both have the 200ci six. Three on the tree and ROTTEN gas mileage, weak as a kitten up any hill.. But throw a big beanbag chair in the back with an ice chest and some home made popcorn in a big brown paper grocery bag, back the van up at the drive-in, kick open the rear doors and enjoy the movie with yer girl. or..

"IF MY VAN'S ROCKIN, DON'T COME KNOCKIN"...

Your Van project brings back a lot of good memories....Dad had a 63 Econoline it was a Two Tone Red on the lower and white on the upper...Mom always called it "Dads real pretty van". I think the head lights are so cool. I had a 73 Dodge van, my Brother had a 74...Being a "Vanner" was a lot of fun...The post above mine talks about takin' your "Lady Friend" to the "Drive In" and if the movie's a drag...you could always close the rear doors and have one of those real "Social Naps" in the back. Yes Yes Yes....Good Times....You are building a "Slice of American'a Pie"....Great work Holmes.

Nice pics gentlemen. I have been buying up all the Planet Toys vans on ebay. If you are not familiar with these, they are diecast 1/24 scale, and the front doors open on high tech hinges, not dogleg. The sliding side door opens smoothly, and the back barn doors also are high tech hinged. These are fantastic vans once you gut the horrible interior. They sold at walmart for about $12, but are now long gone disco'd. They are now hard to find, but sometimes pop up on ebay for 3X the original price. The paint is really great.

I took a 1320 Flopper chassis and plopped a second generation Planet Toys body over it.

Not bad for about 15 minutes of goofing around, huh?

I owned a '74 panel with a hot-rodded 351, with a big cam, and side pipes, with the widest tires that would fit under it.

I don't have a pic, sorry.

I would love to own another just like the one I had.

009-3.jpg

IXO also made 3 different colored ones in resin 1/43. They did a great job on the front grill.

7F279379-orig_zps4a6862f6.jpg

22435F0C-orig_zpscadbe83a.jpg

4F6ABA8E-orig_zps96f1d0d4.jpg

Edited by formula1129