Model Cars Magazine Forum

if "here" is here then...

I am from there but, I will choose to post here. I just don't have time to go thru 1,000 post a day about peoples personal life. When I really only want to see model cars and model car related stuff or 1 to 1 car stuff. But, I respect everybody's right to post or read where ever.

I hit three boards on a regular basis: here, "there", and Randy's NASCAR board. I lurk on a couple others. I scan "there" looking for cool builds and related posts, but up untill Tom started displaying I.P. adresses, the BS was getting to be a bit much. Nothing to do with thin-skin, as I had no one attack me personally, but seeing ppl get jumped on for buying a kit at wallymart, personal attacks for discussing flaws, errors and other problems with kits, was just getting old. It's good that there are now steps being taken to weed out the bad, but for some, it is too little, too late.

Brian

To add to what everyone was saying..............I was seriously thinking about starting to post "there" again just last week.

What changed my mind?? It was the poor fellow from Germany (Peter Lepold) who did a thorough and completely honest review of the new Trumpeter Monte Carlo kit.

He had some interesting and might I say accurate things to say about the kit, only for the entire thread to get deleted because the host "felt" it was too critical of a kit he sells. :x

I'm sorry..........but since when are we to shut up about a serious flaw in a kit we're about to shell 35 bucks out for?? :roll: That definitely changed my mind, maybe forever about posting there in the future...............IP addy's notwithstanding.

Poor fellow will probably never post there again........I've seen the review on a German message board and tried to register to get a message to him, but their server kept booting me out for some reason. :?

Perhaps if someone knows him maybe he'd like to post here............I don't think he'll get booted for saying the truth.

Bill "THERE" is in a tough situation trying to make a living and support the Message Board. I wouldn't want to be in his situation. I read the review and did not see the problem. I remember that the Model Car Garage guy posted some comments too!

But for me the availability of the "Subject" is primary over most anything else. If Trumpeter ever does the 67/68 Cougar I will but some from "THERE" to have some of them. I even built the convertible 63 Nova even though the window height was 3" scale sinches too tall.

DSC01329-vi.jpg

DSC01330-vi.jpg

Gee, all that gossip over "there" where many of my friends still hang out. The usual cross section of replies from rational to rude. As I've said many times to many people including the proprietor personally, I'd still be "there" if there were mandatory registration. I hang out on a handful boards, it is the most basic and accepted standard for posting on public message boards. It effectively deals with the majority of troubles. I'm a moderator on one and it's rare that I have to be the bad guy in the first place. I know I'd be in "heaven" if "there" ran modern board software that I've come to love. Dave McGowan knows exactly my sentiments about that :D

End of comment. Back to reading the gossip :wink:

EDIT: Just read Bill's reply. I too get bothered by the censorship and especially the extreme example he pointed out, but I would live with it if my one simple wish above were implemented. Greener pastures had already been found long before I ever disappeared from "there". It happens!

I left long ago. Good people and friends there, but far too many narrow trolls, and sycophants.

I read thread last PM about why people were leaving. Several said, basically, "screw'em". Those people are what infests that board. One of them is in particular the one who caused me to leave.

Many were disappointed great builders with lots to offer left. Those are the people who need to be here.

Making a living is one thing, but Ebay has likely hit business over there over last few years. Just like Wal-mart, people can find rare kits cheaper, so they go there, or find builders to restore. I buy less, since I already have much of what I want, only high-end resin and a few new kits interest me.

Posting IP addresses really is a security issue, and trolls can easily spoof them, or use AOL with variable IP's. Not a fix, but exposes good people to other problems.

Glad a couple friends steered me here.

Just my 2 million lira.

L

What the heck, I may as well get involved too...

You know guys, I have my opinions and my own reasons for being here. I'd rather keep them to myself. But there is one I'd like to share.

I just want a place to go to share my builds, look at other people's builds, maybe learn something new and who knows, I may even be able to help someone else learn something. And I want to enjoy being there. Here. :lol:

The one other thing I'd like to say here is this, between this thread and one that's going on over there, I get the feeling a line is being drawn. And I don't think that's good. I've seen it happen too many times before with related message boards. I'd sure hate to see them all go down the tube.

I'm new, I'm nobody. I hate to start off trying to give advice or make a suggestion this big. And I hope you take this in the spirit it's intended. Can we just let it go? And build something? :D

We're here, let's enjoy it.

I also agree with Bob and Khart, the problem with that board is that its an old style. very old in fact. if you want to look at old progress of the model there is almost no way to do that unless they have a Fotki account. which most don't

I can understand his reasoning why he keeps it, he wants to be able to allow new people to post. but it brings in more trolls then anyone else, also, it does'nt block against SPAM posters who have been putting up useless information recently

Tony, point taken. I have come to really love this forum as well. I'm glad you feel enough ownership in the experience to feel comfortable speaking your mind so that your experience here isn't spoiled by others. That speaks worlds of your character.

I found this forum early on and immediately felt at home. I quickly signed up and joined in. Because I liked this forum, not because of any outside influences. It's a good feeling when you get in on the ground floor of something you believe to be so good and getting better every day. This isn't the first time I've gone to a new forum and had similar feelings, and it may not be the last. I'm greatful for the friendships I've made on the boards, some of whom turned out to be in my own backyard and now we're friends in our own home club. Communities like this and model clubs and shows and the related friendships do a lot to keep our hobby alive in the face of adversities.

As for my previous statements, my soapbox is back in storage and I'm looking ahead. I'm proud that everything discussed here has remained rational, civil, and friendly, and protective of a positive attitude. Things are going to be fine 8)

Guys, Jairus and I talked about moving this thread to Rants and Raves, but then, that would go against what this forum is all about.

It is the forum for the builders, collectors, and scale auto enthusiasts in our hobby. We are for the most part one big happy family.

How many other places in our lives can you make such great friends, to the point that they will open up their homes to you, offer you advice, voice their opinions, and sometimes help steer you in the right way.

That said, we will not be censoring or moving posts or threads, unless they are mistakingly posted in the wrong section.

We feel that the forum is for everyone, and everyone has an opinion.

Okay, I pau