Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes 300SL Gullwing

Cien1986

Hi all MCM friends

I want to share my new project which is Monogram 1/12 Mercedes 300SL Gullwing

20140429_122854.jpg

20140429_122919.jpg

the box can tell this is real old plastic model kit...

i buy this kit from ebay and unfortunately this kit don't come with instruction manual when it shipped...

but i manage to get the instruction manual from scalemotorcars friends DominiqueBeerts many thanks for the help...

what i find when iam unboxing this kit is... the part organization is real mess... some part comes pre-cut from spruce it makes real difficult to identify the product... the molding is rough too.... but its usual problem with old injection kit ...

then i try to snap fit the body, under panel, door, trunk and hood... and what surprise me... it not fit well... the door is like bending so there is a large gap between part.... the same condition apply to hood and other panel too.....

so i preheat it with a candle and bend it slowly to achieve the shape that will fit... but on some place its not bendable..

the conclusion is this nightmare in car modelling...

this is the picture of the kit when i try to snap fit it

20140424_154530.jpg

i use transparent tape to hold it in position and try to press it for minimal the gap

20140424_154402.jpg

this is the scale compare to my other model...

after snap fit the kit i start working on trimming the front fender and lowererd the upper body part to make the kit fit properly, and then sanding the sink mark and mold line.....

here is some progress on sanding

20140428_232905.jpg

I just picked up one at the Desert scale classic in April....Mine also has no instruction sheet with it either...So I will be watching this thread to see how yours comes out. I think mine is a older release...not that that will make the fit any better..

20140415_170016_zpscd0242a1.jpg

I just picked up one at the Desert scale classic in April....Mine also has no instruction sheet with it either...So I will be watching this thread to see how yours comes out. I think mine is a older release...not that that will make the fit any better..

20140415_170016_zpscd0242a1.jpg

FYI, the kit was originally issued by Renwal. The instructions that Henry is referring to can be found here...

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=935

As you look at the instructions, you'll find one large error in the kit; they call for the water tank to be mounted to the radiator. This is wrong - it should be mounted just in front of the firewall on the passenger side. In the 1:1, it's attached to a portion of the spaceframe inside the right fender; since the kit doesn't replicate the spaceframe, other means will have to be improvised.

Here's a closer look.

Picture72_zpsd7a08246.png

Edited by sjordan2

FYI, the kit was originally issued by Renwal. The instructions that Henry is referring to can be found here...

As you look at the instructions, you'll find one large error in the kit; they call for the water tank to be mounted to the radiator. This is wrong - it should be mounted just in front of the firewall on the passenger side. In the 1:1, it's attached to a portion of the spaceframe inside the right fender; since the kit doesn't replicate the spaceframe, other means will have to be improvised.

Here's a closer look.

Thanks for the info!

Among the other errors and omissions, you'll notice that the shift lever is totally weird, The kit lever is snaky and should be totally straight in that position. I think the kit makers misunderstood that the first 50 Gullwings had a "gooseneck" shift lever mounted over the transmission under the dash, and coming back into the cockpit, but everything after that had a straight vertical shift lever on the tunnel.

I would add that there is no particularly good Gullwing kit available. The best are in 1/16. The Minicraft version is the only one with a spaceframe, and the Italeri version has a more detailed engine and chrome parts, though the body shape needs work because the fenders are too bulbous and the doors don't fit well. It would be good to have both kits available as reference for the 1/12 build.

Edited by sjordan2

Here's a closer look.

Many thanks for the info.. I will take a closer look about that

When the engine is mounted, it tilts over to the left. The fuel injection system is virtually invisible at that point, and I wouldn't bother with it - especially adding the injector lines - (except to feel satisfied with knowing it's there). With the belly pan in place, especially since it's molded on, you can't even see it from the underside.

When the engine is mounted, it tilts over to the left. The fuel injection system is virtually invisible at that point, and I wouldn't bother with it - especially adding the injector lines - (except to feel satisfied with knowing it's there). With the belly pan in place, especially since it's molded on, you can't even see it from the underside.

Yeah i just realize it too the engine tilt abit.. haha...

at first i want to add injector line to it using thin brass line... but it seems it will stuck with steering shaft,

because there is a cutting curve at the left side of the engine block near the fuel line for the shaft to pass through

so i change my mind... its invincible no one can see it after assembly.,

Sometimes knowing too much about a life-long dream car can be disappointing.

By the way, that has absolutely nothing to do with your project, Henry.

I assume you're talking about me. I have made three small suggestions about improving major kit errors, all easy to fix. Do you have this kit? Can you tell me what suggestions you find objectionable or over the top?

Edited by sjordan2

Sometimes knowing too much about a life-long dream car can be disappointing.

By the way, that has absolutely nothing to do with your project, Henry.

Haha thanks for the opinion

no offense,

but in my perception when you know nothing or just alittle bit about it,

you will never understand how valuable or how precious the thing is..

So when you know you'll love

Absolutely nothing to do with this kit... mean absolutely trash this kit... its impossible to finnish

even you built it standart out of box.. the kit is just too rough in every aspect compare it to

kit from latest production of tamiya...

Anyway, notwithstanding some carping, this tutorial on fixing the notorious body seam on the 1/8 XK-E may be helpful in fixing the fender seam on the Gullwing:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64075

That is really give me idea how to minimize the gap... many2 thanks for the information...

and many thanks for always support me...

By guessing your understanding about this kit i assume you have one of this and finished tackling it

would you mind let me take a look? Hahaha.,,

do you have a better idea how to fix the door?

i bend it using candle light.....

I've never found a Gullwing kit with a particularly good door fit - most of these kits are decades old. You could try soaking the doors in hot water (not boiling).

You could try a test fit with the interior door panels in place, which may affect the outer doors. Also, the door handle/lock actually works and closes the door in a slot in the door sill; (however, the parts are plastic and that might create a bit too much stress).