Model Cars Magazine Forum

Orange Hauler II: Radical Custom Truck and Trailer, July 14 f'glass work

Finally came up with a windshield that will work on this one, which has been the sticking point. Corvette C4. Turns out the mystery top I have here is C4 too.

DSCN6495.jpg

Chopped the windshield and top almost 6 scale inches, which gets the door cut-lines to lineup with what will be new A and B pillars.

DSCN6507.jpg

Anybody out there have a 5th wheel setup, or a recommendation for a kit with a good one?

I would look to a 1/32 scale big rig kit ... it would keep the 5th wheel platter from overwhelming the Ultra Truck. Just a thought.

(If I had one, it would be yours.)

B)

I've always liked this idea of customizing a custom.You have some unique ideas on this and a great concept.I also like this comment,(I'm trying to limit myself to two or three simultaneous builds, 'cause I actualy like having one finished.) :D I sure wish I could adhere to that maxim. Keep at it on this one.

• 3 weeks later...

O.K., with the tandem axels, the fifth wheel is looking a little more practical. One question: How in the heck are you ever gonna get that hood open?

Seriously, this is an awesome project youve got going. You've got me wanting to do a lot more scratch building.

One question: How in the heck are you ever gonna get that hood open?

That's a really good question, and as this thing evolves, I'm beginning to think seriously about saving the twin-blown Viper for something else and going to a little more conservative powerplant. This started out being a totally impractical showcar, but it seems to want to be something else, and it's already moving in a direction I haven't shown yet.

The hood actually will go up enough in front to be able to slide it forward, so some arrangement like that COULD work, but it's kinda silly for a truck.

My only suggestion would be for the power plant maybe a twin turbo LS swap with the turbos high and forward?

I'll probably stay with some version of the Viper engine, as I've already modified a lot to make room for it. With the 300 grille and what I'm planning to do with it, it's beginning to seem to want to stay Mopar, too, and it's going to need huge power.

Bill, where do I start? You took one of Starbird's funkier customs and given it a chance to be really cool! I love the new front end treatment, I agree the monster engine is cool, but overwhelming, and I say go with two sets of slicks on the back end, it is a show-car after all, right? Whatever way you go, I'll be watching, this one is gonna be wicked!

Will you be keeping it orange?

Will you be keeping it orange?

Yes, kinda. One of my exes that I'm still friends with brought me some flip-flop orange / copper pearl nail polish while I was doing the Gearz-loser chopped '70 Chevelle. I didn't have time to airbrush anything under deadline, but this little truck will get that really really cool color. IF I can get it right.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

My wife gave me some of her old nail polish, a lot of great colors. Unfortunately I don't have an airbrush so I was thinking of maybe doing some detail work like motors and other misc parts, or maybe using them for pinstriping. My thoughts were that it was to runny or wouldn't coat nicely. Any advice on how to go about using it?

• 2 months later...

I've been reworking the nose over and over and finally have something I like.

DSCN7724.jpg

Also got the tail pretty well worked out. The recess will carry a fifth wheel for a trailer.

DSCN7730.jpg

And this is the first mockup of a matching race-car / showcar hauler gooseneck trailer that doubles as a home at the track or show.

DSCN7807.jpg

DSCN7804.jpg

The trailer is made up of parts from an Amtronic, a Silouhette gluebomb trailer and another flat trailer.

And my heartfelt thanks to Bartster for supplying an extra set of wheels to match the tow vehicle.