Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Fred Lorenzen '65 Ford Galaxie 500XL

mmdm4

Hi Mark!

I think it's going to be the AMT '65 Ford with decals to do the 28 car. The original kit had that car as one of the 3 building options and I believe most of the stock car parts are still on the trees. Fred was my favorite NASCAR driver when I was growing up so I'll be getting one at my favorite hobby shop.

• 2 months later...

Got email confirmation from Round2 that it's due in Sept...

Still on target, date-wise:

http://www.round2models.com/models/amt/galaxie-fred-lorenzen

product.jpg

Sounds like Round2 did some restoring/backdating on this kit, which seems to be their new M.O.:

AMT's® special reissue of the 1965 Ford Galaxie kit has many original parts restored and missing parts retooled, including the racing roll cage. Buildable in stock, custom or stock car racing versions, the kit has returned to its original glory with many optional parts. An opening trunk, not often seen on 1/25 car kits, features a spare wheel and jack inside. A recreation of the first issue decal sheet with Fred Lorenzen stock car markings is included. Molded in white and clear with many chrome parts.

• 1 month later...

I was just on Round 2 website and the release of the '65 Ford Galaxie "Fred Lorenzen" has been taken down. There are some new kits anounced, but I could not find the pic of the '65 Ford that was on there about a week ago. Is it me or did they change there minds about this kit. I already had money set aside for about 4 of them!!..

product.jpg

Edited by progplastic

It seems to me that rather than the website being "out of date", it really only has items on it that have definitive release dates, not just a list of every announced kit (like say Tower Hobbies pre-order site). Wouldn't surprise me if they ran into some sort of snag that was going to push it out to an undetermined date so they pulled it off. There was supposed to be a lot of restoration of the tooling to revive this kit back to it's original state, good things come to those who wait and all of that.

Is this going to be from the stock 1965 Galaxie tool, or was there a racing version in the past? Will we still be able to see the 1965 Galaxie in stock form again? Either way, I am in for a couple of these. I wonder what other decals will be available for this. There were a lot of these running in '65.

Is this going to be from the stock 1965 Galaxie tool, or was there a racing version in the past? Will we still be able to see the 1965 Galaxie in stock form again? Either way, I am in for a couple of these. I wonder what other decals will be available for this. There were a lot of these running in '65.

The original issue of the kit was a 3n1, with the box art shown in the first post. Stock, custom, or NASCAR. The new issue is supposed to bring back optional parts long gone..

It seems to me that rather than the website being "out of date", it really only has items on it that have definitive release dates, not just a list of every announced kit (like say Tower Hobbies pre-order site). Wouldn't surprise me if they ran into some sort of snag that was going to push it out to an undetermined date so they pulled it off. There was supposed to be a lot of restoration of the tooling to revive this kit back to it's original state, good things come to those who wait and all of that.

James is on the right track.

It's still coming, and I suspect it might re-appear on the website soon

• 5 months later...

I've been checking model round up daily for the past month. I've never bought a case of a kit before but I might for this one.

Looks like it's showing as 'Just Arrived' at MR today. I ordered one, I have the original annual, the 'Crusin USA' issue (built that as a kid in the early 80s as a street machine), and the '90s issue w/ the brown car on the box..will be nice to have another, always liked this kit.

Edited by Rob Hall

Looks like it's showing as 'Just Arrived' at MR today. I ordered one, I have the original annual, the 'Crusin USA' issue (built that as a kid in the early 80s as a street machine), and the '90s issue w/ the brown car on the box..will be nice to have another, always liked this kit.

Yes sir! Saw it on my daily check this afternoon! Ranchero is interesting too.

Edited by Greg Cullinan