Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ecto 1-A to Hearse Conversion

David G.

Thanks!

I have tried that grille. It's just a bit too small, which is a bit of a bummer since it's it's nicer than the Ecto-1 grille. I have, however cut the center section from the rear bumper of the car to use in place of the step bumper on the hearse. I've been thinking of doing something similar with the front grille and bumper assembly. I just haven't worked out a good way to do it yet.

David G.

Sounds like a good plan, I checked out the ecto1-A & noticed it had the "promo style" ( lack for better words) grill & head lamps. I have a 59 eldorado donor kit myself, but @ the time didn't want to take on another project. LOL you know how those little ideas can pile on the "waiting list " ! Lots of detailed work at hand to do the front grill & bumper but darn well worth the labor of splitting & extending the front assembly. With the extent of detail you are going already through it will make for a classy model! Who knows you might end up with a scratch built see through grill. Wow ;)

Over the weekend I found another pink 59 Cadillac donor car and spliced the two frames together. I'm currently working on blending them into one (hopefully) seamless chassis.

59_Hearse_10_12.jpg.576cbf1ab9b386b930b208d9776e6c6f.jpg

As always, any comments, critiques or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for looking.

David G.

Edited by David G.
Refreshed Photos

Here's a quick update.

Exhaust pipes before and after.

59_Hearse_13_12.jpg.19d07b3ca4caa7c0014cf02db7bb1db9.jpg

Now that the mid section and exhaust pipes have been stretched, it's time to shorten the tail by about 6 scale inches.

59_Hearse_14_12.jpg.f464c35bd0f4643e98e703825e6c61d7.jpg

I've cut the shortened section from the other donor car frame. Time to put them together.

59_Hearse_15_12.jpg.01152634930cad08eb63544a258da582.jpg

After some filing, shimming and filling, it's done. I just need to do the final smoothing and blending.

59_Hearse_16_12.jpg.d019527b8078c988de3f7b307400ecc4.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look, and feel free to share your insights.

Thanks,

David G.

Edited by David G.
Refreshed Photos

Looking VERY good. I started "downgrading" my Ecto 1A kit back to the original car, but there is SO much work I just can't get motivated. Maybe I should do something similar. Believe it or not, this build looks a lot easier than the downgrade I'm attempting.

By downgrading, do you mean building the Ecto 1-A as the Ecto 1, or building a stock wagon, or something else?

David G.

Edited by David G.

That's some nice work on lengthening and shortening the chassis sections, and all the other stuff to make the body look more "stock". Nice project and great workmanship!

Thanks Dennis. Hopefully, after I get the frame done, things will get a bit more routine. Of course, there is the interior... and roller deck. :unsure:

David G.

• 3 weeks later...

Update time!

The center "tunnel" section of the chassis was a challenge to work with, but I finally got it to look right. I also made some cross pieces to blend the joint together. The chassis is a little too narrow for the body, so I added some strips to the sides to widen it.

59_Hearse_17_12.jpg.828b20250068be1ace302e355174f932.jpg

I feel I can now begin to add the suspension components.

And as ever and always, thanks for looking and feel free to comment.

David G.

Edited by David G.
Refreshed Photos