Model Cars Magazine Forum

Showboat Redux / Quarter Master...Update 11/23/13

Thanks again Don. Not sure what you mean by "the chassis sorted". As far as the stance goes, in the progress pictures the front of the body has a downward rake to it. That will be evened out when I put on the firewall.

I tend to do all of the chassis work on builds before finishing the body.

If that doesn't answer your question, have at me and we'll sort it out together.

That's what I was getting at, Joe - the body did seem to rake down at the front too much, now I know why. Fools and children shouldn't see things half done! Thanks for you answer, I can't wait to see more.

-Don.

Hi Brett. Thanks for checking in. I've been following your builds too. Sorry I haven't commented. :unsure:

Fiatboy, I appreciate the occasional BRAVO. :D

I've gotten a couple of important steps made. Don's notice of the body rake kept kicking around in my mind, so I've made new body hinges that have corrected the problem. I've also started on the cockpit firewall, as opposed to the body firewall. The shelf next to the battery is where the electronics box will sit. The hole on the other side of the battery is where a drive shaft will go.

More soon ..........

0055.jpg0056.jpg0057.jpg0058.jpg

This is a quick "Hello" to let you know that work is still happening. Next update will have pics.

I've cut out a recess in the cockpit and am currently fitting the shifters. Gas pedals were a tight fit, but they look right. Next I'll be using line of sight to see where the linkages will go. I learned a long time ago, the more I measure, the more mistakes and redo's there are to correct. I'll be attaching tubing to the front of the cockpit firewall that will be built in sections for the bell cranks that it will all hook up to.

Sounds weird, but you'll see shortly what I have in mind.

See ya' then.

Edited by Nitrozilla

This took longer than I thought. Probably took longer than you thought too.

Here we have pics of the cockpit from the top and bottom. I've modified steering linkage for the shifters and pedals. I still need to lengthen the depth of the shifter links. Even though it's underneath and will never be seen, I still want it to look right.

This will all hook up to the bar that runs parallel to the firewall. You'll see.

For you Body Work fans, I started to blend the nose. I'll have it in primer next to see where I screwed up.

Thanks for looking.........

0059.jpg0060.jpg0061.jpg0062.jpg0063.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, sorry for the prolonged absence. The build isn't stalled, but I am.

The throttle and shift linkage for a project like this is pretty complex and I've tried more than a couple of set ups. The main problem has been, "How do I set up 4 cable links to the blower hats?" I think I have it figured out now. Sometimes thinking in 3D is tough during scratchbuilding for me when I'm trying to imagine something that is supposed to take up an empty space. Does that make sense?

I hope so. I'm pretty sure I've got it figured out and it may or may not look like it would work when it's done, but it will be in place and hopefully make sense.

Thanks for hanging in there group. Be back to you as soon as I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All. I apologize for the major delay in progress.

My main focus recently has been my battle with the Veteran's Administration over my disability appeal. I can't believe that an agency whose main focus is to provide assistance to Veterans with disabilities is causing me more grief than relieving it. I have contacted my local Congresswoman's office, Dina Titus, in hopes of getting help to resolve my issues. Hopefully soon I will be able to get back on this project that I am enjoying so much. I just can't wrap my head around the build's issues while I have something so stressful going on.

Thanks for letting me rant. Be back as soon as I can. :)

• 7 months later...

Thanx for checking in Bob. By sheer coincidence, I'm about to make a comeback.

However, I'll start by finishing a project I'm on now, then back to this beast.

A while back ago I built a topless funny car. I should have used thicker plastic to cover the roof cavity because it warped and the paint cracked. Too close to a window. Now it's getting a topless Charger body and will carry the Flying Dutchman colors.

I'll start a new topic on it shortly. I'm seriously jazzed about getting back on the QuarterMaster too.

Edited by Nitrozilla