Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building '69 Charger Daytonas with my Grade 5 class

Bill Eh?

This started back in March when I bought enough AMT/Johnny Lightning '69 Dodge Charger Daytona's, so that every student would have a kit and 2 kits would be for the required 'replacement' parts. This will mostly be a photo journal.

The starting point.

DSC00531.jpg

A couple of shots of me making Hemi Orange from Tamiya regular Orange.

DSC00527.jpg

DSC00528.jpg

I built up one engine ahead of time, and the fit was not so good. This would be problematic for my students. So the answer was to to do a mass assembly of all the engine blocks for them!

DSC00498.jpg

I did a lot of test fitting of parts in order to stay one step ahead of the kids.

IMG_0217.jpg

Another area that had the potential for headaches were the holes in the chassis for the front wheels and the solid metal rear axle. These were all drilled out by hand. It does not help when you have not brought your pin vice to school!.

IMG_0224.jpg

Here are a few random shots of kits on desks.

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

Most kids had never built a model, let alone used an airbrush. This is the gear we used - Tamiya Spray-work.

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

To be continued...

Awesome idea. You have to be the coolest grade school teacher ever. I once built a scale model of a space shuttle as part of a 7th grade project, but that is as close as I have ever came to such a concept. Surely it was nothing as cool as a '69 Charger. I look forward to seeing more pics!