Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Dukes of Hazzard Charger to be Reissued?

Casey

• 4 weeks later...

I second that! - Especially if it's the 3'n 1 version, and not just the "stock": I really need the blower-setup (or the entire engine for that matter) from one of these for an AMT 1/16 '55 Chevy I'm planning...

It would also be cool to see the 73(?) Charger Street Machine based on the same NASCAR tooling as the General Lee reissued

In one form or another, the split-window coupe is often available on eBay, with prices ranging from attainable to ridiculous.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Big-1-16-scale-CORVETTE-SPLIT-WINDOW-COUPE-/180601387834?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0cae7b3a

• 1 month later...

From Horizon Hobbies' page:

Due Early March, 2011

Not surprising, but still, disappointing. :)

Good news (well, that may be a matter of opinion :) ), from Round2's 'site:

1:16 Scale General Lee Charger

Item No: MPC752

Release Date: February 2011

• 1 month later...

My 1/16th scale General Lee arrived this week, I posted the following on the SH board the other day, a brief "peek in the box" review.

My 1/16th General has just arrived courtesy of UPS. The first thing I noticed from looking at the box is the picture on the box is a little different, from a lower perspective, most likely as to not prominently display the confederate flag. The Box is more sturdy that the original version, so it should hold up to storage much better than the original.

The body parts are mooded in white, not orange thankfully. The Decal sheet is complete, with the confederate flag, License plates, "O1" and "general lee" lettering.

The Engine and interior parts are molded in black, the chrome looks good to my eyes, and the tail lights are molded in transparent red, and the clear parts are of course molded in clear plastic, and are nice and clear with no defects. The tires look good, and the wiring is provided in the kit for the spark plugs, and radiator hoses.

From what I can see, this is a straight re-issue of the kit from the 80s. Owing to the kit's origin as a racecar, it has a race car interior, but door panels are provided. It has a nascar style dash.

With a different set of wheels I suppose someone could make an accurate '69 charger NASCAR racecar. Or if you are to believe Bo & Luke raced the general on the "nascar circuit" as described on the show, maybe it would have been a race car as depicted in this kit.

There are people much more knowledgeable about the General Lee and Dodge Chargers who can discuss this kit in detail

I am very grateful to Round2 for re-issuing this kit. I can not thank them enough. I know large scale cars are risky for manufacturers, so I am glad they took the risk. I suggest everyone should buy one to let Round2 know just how much we appreciate this. :)

I've got one on the way myself. Need an extra one though. I have one of the old 74 Dodge Chargers in that scale in pieces. I want to take the chassis and use it to make a Petty car since the big scale Petty car cost almost as much as a real one, if you can even find it. Only big problem will be closing up the blower hole in the power bulge hood on that car.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up one last week.I paid $30.45 at a local hobby shop.In my opinion it was a very good deal considering that current 1/25th and 1/24th reissuse range from around $17.99 to $24.99.

The kit comes with yellow spark plug wires,and two sizes of black tubing for fuel and cooler lines.As previousley mentioned it's basically a Dodge Charger stock car with General Lee markings.I would advise reading over the instructions carefully.There's a few issue with omissions and parts that just aren't included.One that comes to mind is that it's states to cut a piece of spark plug wire and connect to a non exeistent coil.Luckily a coil is one of the easiest scratcbuilt parts.

Another issue that just "bugs" me is the Holly style carburetor.It's a spread bore with the fuel lines going into the very ends of the fuel bowls rather than on the sides.I've owned dozens of Holley carbs over the years and I have owned a 650 CFM spread bore that was a replacement for a Rochester Quadra jet but I have never owned or seen one with that style fule bowl.I'm by no means and expert and that carburetor may be correct but it just looks wrong to me.Again this another easy fix,just trim the end stub off and plumb it to the side.

Without a ton of scratch building this car cannot be built as a stock Dodge Charger.On the plus side the car just begs to be detailed.By replacing the rubber tubing with scale braided lines and fittings it would build into a very nicely detailed kit.

I'm building the kit for what it is.I want to enjoy the build and not get hung up on what all's incorrect with it.I will fix the the two previously mentioned issues and maybe scratch build an air cleaner.Other than that I will replace some hoses with braided lines and fittings.The rest will be a "box build".

For the money I would recommend the kit.If you can find aftermaket decals the kit can be build into a very nice Stock Car.

Sam

The carb in question is a Dominator and it is not a spread bore. It's a large square bore. The fuel lines do enter the front of the bowl, just not straight in. They angle downwards and should mount from the right side. Back in the day, if you want to make it into a NASCAR type stock car, it would not have braided hoses. Just high temp/pressure hoses which I will assume is what they are trying to mimic with the black hose for fuel and cooler lines. I'm going to try and rework my carb and make it correct and if I have room add a spacer under it and correct the linkage and add the vent tubes to the top of it. If you could find a scrap Petty GP car in 16 you could use the chrome 3 piece aircleaner from that kit. You would have to dechrome the filter part and paint it and off white I guess.

I thought the the same thing about finding an air cleaner from a 1:16 Petty Pontiac Gran Prix 2+2.Here's a photo of the carburetor main body in question.I labeled it a "spread bore" because the the secondaries are clearly much larger than the primaries.I hope the photo will help clear things up.I would be more than willing to post any other kit photos if requested.

IMG_1319.jpg

Happy building......

Sam

=

Yours does look different in size. lol. Also, the shafts are crooked on one end too. I also found what they called the coil too. It's on the chrome tree. The number escapes me at the moment though. It should be aluminum instead of chrome though. It looks like a stock coil with an aluminum heat sink can wrapped around it.