Model Cars Magazine Forum

1932 Ford Panel Truck

I sent this email to Mike Gradis at eDeuce a couple of weeks ago but haven't heard from him yet:

"---------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------

Subject: 1932 Ford Panel

Date: Sat, January 22, 2011 9:47 pm

To: MikeGradis@aol.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Mike,

A friend of mine is involved in the construction and operation of an 1:8

scale live steam railroad. He recently finished building a combined

freight, passenger and switch tower building and is

trying to find 1:8 scale steam era vehicles more appropriate than modern

Minis as details for the station.

On Model Cars Magazine Forum I learned that you have resin conversion

bodies for the Monogram Duece. The Sedan Delivery would make an excellent

station vehicle. When will it be available and how much will it cost?

Since this would not be a contest build but, rather, a durable, curbside

build, a collector kit is not required. Do you have a Deuce kit

appropriate for that type build? (Box, engine, options not important.) Do

you have suggestions for wire wheels? What else would be needed to build a

factory stock Sedan Delivery? Rear bumper, rear lights, other?

Thanks for any help and ideas,

David Palmeter"

Since I haven't heard back from Mike yet, I thought some of you folks, more familar with big scale than I, might be able to answer some of my questions or have some further comments or suggestions about building a durable, 1:8 scale factory stock 1932 Ford Panel Truck.

Thanks for your time,

There are quite a few people waiting for Mike to do another run of his sedan/sedan delivery body David. I've been waiting over 5 years. You could use the cowl from a Deuce kit and scratch build the wooden rear body to look like this '27 ... or Google depot hack for reference.

10PIC15.jpg

Hi Al,

Thanks for the info, I thought maybe when I didn't hear from Mike that meant the answer was not good news. I really like your idea of a depot hack, however, they seem to be more in the Model T era. I don't think any of the Monogram Model T kits have fenders or many other stock parts.

If we move to a Model A, the same situation of getting parts (radiator, fenders, details) looks like a problem unless they are available in resin. Scratchbuilding it all is beyond the scope of the project.

Because the '32 kit is readily available, a '32 station wagon might make sense, particularly since the live steamers would put a lot of cinders inside anything open, '32 wagons apparently had side curtains available.

lpb20110204.jpg

The body is mostly a straight-sided box, so that should not be too difficult. Comments?

Edited by 7000in5th

Hi Al,

Thanks for the info, I thought maybe when I didn't hear from Mike that meant the answer was not good news. I really like your idea of a depot hack, however, they seem to be more in the Model T era. I don't think any of the Monogram Model T kits have fenders or many other stock parts.

If we move to a Model A, the same situation of getting parts (radiator, fenders, details) looks like a problem unless they are available in resin. Scratchbuilding it all is beyond the scope of the project.

Because the '32 kit is readily available, a '32 station wagon might make sense, particularly since the live steamers would put a lot of cinders inside anything open, '32 wagons apparently had side curtains available.

Murray_Ford_Model_B_Station_Wagon_1932_02.jpg

The body is mostly a straight-sided box, so that should not be too difficult. Comments?

You're correct that almost all Ford depot hacks were Model Ts, but depot hacks were common among almost all manufacturers during the teens, twenties and very early 30s, including Rolls-Royce. You can choose almost any car of the era and be correct. All were custom.

rolls-sg-4050.jpg

Edited by sjordan2