Model Cars Magazine Forum

Has anybody built the 1/16th MPC Corvette Roadster?

I bought an MPC 1/16th '57 Corvette roadster kit years and wondered if anybody has built this nice kit. I have it half assembled and got stuck on the color of the rug in the interior. Were they red or black? The kit has a piece of red felt(?) for the carpet but mine was ruined when I bought the kit second hand. I plan to use flocking but want to use the right color. I have seen both colors in searches on the web and wondered which one was right. Any one know the right color? Thank you, Patrick M

I built one of those a few years ago. I spent a lot of time, but I really bungled it on final assembly, I did a really nice paint job but I put the bumpers on crooked, and screwed up the chrome trim. I wish I had paid better attention to little details. I did not end up using the felt carpet. Fun kit though. Just be mindful during final assembly.

P4150376-vi.jpg

under construction pics:

P2110285-vi.jpg

P4070365-vi.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info Greg. Found stuff I didn't have in my Corvette books. If things go right I will bring the Vette to the April show. Don't have much to do to finish it. Need to complete the interior and add some final detailing to the motor and assemble the car. I want to BMF it too. Just need to find a safe container to bring it by bus west on Greenway with some other builds. Hope to see you there. I missed the show last year because of 2 serious heart attacks that put me in the hospital and extended care home for a month. Doing fine now and building everyday. I've been looking forward to this show for a long time. Patrick M

• 3 weeks later...

The carpets in the '57s (if your interior is red) are mainly red, they have a small amount of black threads in the weave, that can be imitated with a little black flock mixed in with your red, you can also use velour (velvet) for carpeting in these if you go one solid color.