Model Cars Magazine Forum

High End Model kit advice

Hi,

I've build a few kits so far, and I want to try my hands on some high quality kit. The highest quality kit I've built is the Tamiya Enzo 1/12.

Criteria:

1 - very detailed kit, lots of parts, clear instructions

2 - high quality engineered (parts fit well together, no need to fix them too much)

3 - preferably some newer car - but open to older ones.

4 - Size should be at least 1/18, preferably 1/12 or bigger

5 - end result should be something I want to put in my living room (e.g. not a Caterpillar truck)

6 - Price is no issue

Looking forward to recommendations !

Thanks,

Irwin

A lot of it depends on what kind of cars you want to build. Lots of 30s cars available in 1/16. 1/12 has the Airfix Blower Bentley that requires a certain amount of adding detail, the Monogram 1/8 kits including the Jaguar E-Type, Camaros, Corvette, etc., lots of Tamiya 1/12 Porsche race versions, 1/12 240Z, look on eBay for Tamiya 1/12 Caterhams, and I think Tamiya is coming out with a 1/12 Porsche Carrera GT along the lines of your Enzo. Also many large-scale F1 cars.

You may have to look on eBay for many of them. Only a few large-scale, high-detail kits issued in the last 2-3 years, including the Lola T70, Trumpeter Ford GT40, Revell Mustang GT, and Airfix Blower Bentley reissue. Level of detail varies but, of course, large scale makes it easier to add your own detail.

Here is Tamiya's description of the upcoming Porsche Carrera GT:

This is a 1/12 scale premium assembly model kit of the Porsche Carrera GT. Assembly of the delicately curved body follows that of the full-size car. Durable die-cast suspension arms are combined with working dampers and stabilizers for real-action suspension. Metal-hinged doors, hood and rear cowl open realistically to display the fully detailed interior and V10 engine. The rear wing pops up to the extended position when the license plate is pressed, while the hard-top can be removed and stored under the hood to show off the convertible style of the Porsche.

Specs and Features
  • This is an assembly kit version of Item 23206 1/12 Porsche Carrera GT Semi-Assembled Premium Model.
  • Under panel, front trunk, and suspension arms are made from durable die-cast metal parts.
  • Under panel part is pre-painted.
  • Vinyl tubing depicts ignition cords, brake cables, etc.
  • Photo-etched parts are included to depict mesh covers.
  • Metal transfers depict emblem and rearview mirror surfaces.
  • Decals, masking stickers, and seatbelt material included.
  • 2 types of screwdrivers are included for easy assembly of some parts.
Edited by sjordan2

I'm sure Harry P. will chime in, but try getting a kit from Pocher. Ebay will be your best bet. Large scale, 1/8th, very detailed, and since you said price is no issue...no problem then.

NO! No Pocher, not if he wants to stick with requirement 1 (Pocher instructions are vague and hard to follow sometimes), requirement 2 (Pocher parts don't fit well, some don't fit at all without major reworking), or requirement 3 (the only newer cars Pocher made are a Porsche 911 and a couple of Ferraris... not much choice there as far as newer cars).

NO! No Pocher, not if he wants to stick with requirement 1 (Pocher instructions are vague and hard to follow sometimes), requirement 2 (Pocher parts don't fit well, some don't fit at all without major reworking), or requirement 3 (the only newer cars Pocher made are a Porsche 911 and a couple of Ferraris... not much choice there as far as newer cars).

That was just a suggestion, but you posted before I did and then I couldn't delete it. I've seen a few Pocher kits before and they're not something I'm willing to take on...especially with the wire wheels. I knew you'd chime in because you'd know better than I would. I also know there's other options out there and others are adding them.

That was just a suggestion, but you posted before I did and then I couldn't delete it. I've seen a few Pocher kits before and they're not something I'm willing to take on...especially with the wire wheels. I knew you'd chime in because you'd know better than I would. I also know there's other options out there and others are adding them.

Pochers are great kits, but they come with a lot of baggage. They can be the most satisfying and the most frustrating model you've ever built!

Pochers are great kits, but they come with a lot of baggage. They can be the most satisfying and the most frustrating model you've ever built!

I built the Alfa Romeo from Pocher, the tire assmbly was 120 pieces for each tire. Like Haryy said the instructions are vague sometimes, and jump all over the place.

alfa3.jpg

Pocher cars are beautiful, I will not call them high detailed, they are the opposite compared to the scale and they need a lot of work, if you want make them correctly. At least the old stuff, the newer kit as Ferrari Testarossa or F40 are pretty much a Bburago die cast kit in bigger scale. I built the Pocher F40 in less than 4 hrs. :)

If you want a Pocher kit only, the price is a big factor on those kit, I think because of the collector thing if they are in box sealed, not because of the quality of the product. But sometime if you are lucky you can find a good price, maybe a Fiat or Alfa Romeo, ( the cheaper I saw online) and maybe an already built model and restore it, using upgrades and newer higher detailed parts, but also here you wallet is important... :D