Model Cars Magazine Forum

life long model builder returning from a hiatus

My name is Adam and I live in Saint Paul, MN. I’ve been building models since my dad built a Revell Westfalia VW Vanagon with me when I was about 8 years old. That was 30 years ago. In my teens I built a lot of ‘50s Chevy’s, muscle cars, and dragsters, and then I built most of the Hasegawa Group C race cars. After that, I was probably one of the only kids who built models in his college dorm and after college I spent the money from my first job on Tamiya rally and touring car kits. My user name is in honor of my favorite kit I ever built, the Tamiya Jordan 191 F1 car (I’ll post pics sometime). I ended up taking about a 10 year hiatus from building and have little kids now that have taken up my time. I am currently building three kits: 1. the Tamiya Porsche GT2 racecar, 2. a Hasegawa Subaru WRX, and 3. the AMT Model T “2 kits, one box”. I've learned a lot from lurking here already. The Model T is coming along, so I will start posting pictures.

Edited by Jordan 191

Welcome back, Adam.

I was somewhat of an alcoholic back in the 70s & 80s. After doing some nasty damage to a person I loved with a knife, I sought help. The VA shrink taught me self-hypnosis and that I get violent after the 3rd drink. So, since 1985, I have NEVER had more than 3.

Now let's get to building and post some pics.

Hi Adam! I'm more interested in your avatar. I worked at a Red Owl in my high school years. This was in a small town in North Dakota. I don't suppose there are too many people on here that have ever heard of Red Owl. Sadly, my home town store is no more.

I know about the ol red owl I was born in 83' in shokopee mn, as I grew as a kid I want to say in the 80's is when the owl stores started disappearing in the twin cities areas, smaller mn towns still seemed to have them, then one day they were gone........ and wala super value havn't been home to mn for 2 yrs or so so I don't know is super value is still around or not?

I only now kow of the big guys..... cub foods, rainbow foods, holiday stores, of course now Costco and wally mart, sure theres now super targets now too

• 2 weeks later...

Having had friends that have dealt with addictions ranging from a bit silly (shoes) to drugs, alcohol and some other bad stuff, I hope the hobby gives you enough peace of mind to concentrate on looking ahead in all parts of life.

And yes, Supervalu is in trouble. They recently sold off their New Englnad branch, Shaw's and Star Markets to an investor group to try and gain solvency.

Charlie Larkin

• 2 weeks later...