Model Cars Magazine Forum

question for everyone fotki or photo bucket?

Bill Edman

By maxed out, do you mean by storage or by bandwidth?

Why not just make multiple PB accounts? I have 3 going, and that Fotki one just wasn't very good IMO

Same, I have three as well, and each one serves a different purpose

Edited by martinfan5

Bandwidth for me. I'm only using 16% of my storage. I thought it was because of my H.A.M.B. postings on the "Vintage shots from days gone by" thread, but I'm starting to notice other folks on the boards I'm on getting limited as well.

So they really don't give you trouble for multiple accounts, or they just haven't caught up to you yet?

I've been on Fotki for over 10 years. I manage two Fotki Premium Gold accounts. One is my personal account and the other one is my club's NNL East account. Fotki did have some drama this past year and had issues with server space etc. They have restored everything that was missing and have moved everything to new servers so it's all faster than it ever was before.

The cost for that Premium Gold Account, which is unlimited storage and band width is $20.40 for a year. $18.70 if you sign up for 2 years, $17 each for 3 years, and $16.15 a year for a 5 year deal. They also will have specials from time to time where you can save more. When they have those, I'll re-up both accounts for the maximum. I'd suggest signing up for one year to get your feet wet, and once you decide you like it and they have a special, you can add years.

Overall, I like the way Fotki works, I think the albums are the most intuitive of any of the sites. It's very easy to upload and move photos around. And you can load stuff to Fotki to your heart's content, and post on boards without ever worrying about people getting a 'band width maxed out' error message.

Edited by Tom Geiger

How about Flickr are they any good

My other bad habit is digital photography and I have a flickr Pro account that I like a lot. I keep all my model photos on ImageShack and my "grown up" photos on Flickr. The layout is nice if you have photos to share other than build stuff.

9296052158_78e71e0ffb_c.jpg

Dale

Edited by ScaleDale

The only thing about Flickr is, if you actually follow the TOS, you're not permitted to "dead link" your photos to another website, you have to use a bit of coding that adds a "Hosted by Flickr" advertisement.

I developed a photo posting tutorial for the Digital Photography forum over at MacRumors.com a couple of years ago and that was true. Since the site (Flickr) was revamped, I have not been able to find that reference in the TOS and photo sharing has been made much easier. This is just a copy/paste off their Grab the Link box without using the Image Link icon in the reply box. The extra back link code is already there. I picked the medium size here.

9296052158_78e71e0ffb_c.jpg

Edited by ScaleDale

I developed a photo posting tutorial for the Digital Photography forum over at MacRumors.com a couple of years ago and that was true. Since the site (Flickr) was revamped, I have not been able to find that reference in the TOS and photo sharing has been made much easier. This is just a copy/paste off their Grab the Link box without using the Image Link icon in the reply box. The extra back link code is already there. I picked the medium size here.

You were always permitted to link to other website, you were just stick with that little Flickr link-back which is still clearly right there. What you aren't allowed to (then or now) is dead-link them. Meaning linking them to another website by right-clicking the photo properties and just linking the photo without the Flickr kickback. Not a big deal on a website like this, but when you have a website that all photos, it breaks up the page to have 32,000 tiny Flickr "ads". Fotki allows dead-linking as they aren't a "Photo Community" like Flickr likes to claim, but rather cloud storage for photos. Sure there are social areas on Fotki, but it's no where near as social with groups and all of that like Flickr.

You were always permitted to link to other website, you were just stick with that little Flickr link-back which is still clearly right there. What you aren't allowed to (then or now) is dead-link them. Meaning linking them to another website by right-clicking the photo properties and just linking the photo without the Flickr kickback. Not a big deal on a website like this, but when you have a website that all photos, it breaks up the page to have 32,000 tiny Flickr "ads". Fotki allows dead-linking as they aren't a "Photo Community" like Flickr likes to claim, but rather cloud storage for photos. Sure there are social areas on Fotki, but it's no where near as social with groups and all of that like Flickr.

The Flickr "kickback" or "ad" that you refer to is what the folks who frequent my photo forums call copyright protection. It lets the people who see these photos know that they are owned by me and that I can be contacted through my Flickr account by clicking the image. Flickr isn't selling anything by doing this, just protecting my ownership of the image. Deadlinking is theft of a copyrighted image.

If you maintain a page consisting of 32,000 images taken without permission I suggest you take it down.

Dale

The Flickr "kickback" or "ad" that you refer to is what the folks who frequent my photo forums call copyright protection. It lets the people who see these photos know that they are owned by me and that I can be contacted through my Flickr account by clicking the image. Flickr isn't selling anything by doing this, just protecting my ownership of the image. Deadlinking is theft of a copyrighted image.

If you maintain a page consisting of 32,000 images taken without permission I suggest you take it down.

Dale

No I suppose Flickr isn't "selling" anything, but when I spend money for a yearly membership for more than a decade I should have the option to turn that "feature" off. I can understand for the free account people, particularly before the recent changes giving everyone a TB of storage in exchange for the ads all over their accounts. Dead-linking is a matter of traffic, every time this thread loads Flickr is getting dinging for loading the image you posted. They decided that if you're going to cost them money for that server traffic you're going to advertise the fact you're hosting that photo on Flickr.

I beg to differ that the kick-back functions as any sort of copyright at all. Considering the fact that within Flickr you can choose everything from Free Use, a variety of Creative Commons licenses, and of course All Rights Reserved, with the ability to offer you work via Getty Images. It could possibly drive traffic to your Photostream.

My website, also a decade in existence is my own work, or the work of thousands of contributors whom have sent me their work to use. I credit them by their real names, rather than some screen name. Considering I just had to file DMCA against an online car "magazine" who lifted my images directly from Flickr without so much as a hello and then had that photo make the front page of Yahoo! as a featured article without any credit to me, don't presume to lecture me about photography copyright.

Edited by niteowl7710

^^^ Thanks for using images with permission and properly crediting the photographers who created them. There are so many people on the Net who don't do this that I tend to lecture about copyright quite a bit.

It's fairly easy to post a Flickr image without the link back. I don't know if it's OK with them or not, but since it's my image I say I can. I edited my previous post to remove the link and Flickr credit.

BTW: All my MCM build mages are hosted on ImageShack.

Dale

Edited by ScaleDale