Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Porsche 935

after the body is done, took a break on this one and finished a few 1/24 scale cars in the meantime. But sooner or later, have tp finish this project so I got to the engine slowly. Here is a look at the engine up to today. Still have a lot to do on it and after mating it to the chassis. but at least now the main body of the engine is done.

I am sure I saw Mr.Johnson's builds of the 935. There are some amazing work out there on this topic. At least now I got it on it's wheels, so at least I can see its stance. The motor and rest is still in pieces, those are the items that will take forever.The PE and Cartograph decals made it a much better kit. But I did omitted a few PE pieces up to now since I felt the original molding is much better than the PE, such as the radiators.

Been hard trying to get detail picture of this variant of the 935. Most research came up with the later version Kremer K3. Most pictures that I found was on the car 4 which was on the auction block recently. really hard to find anything on car 1 and 3 which this kit is based on. But this is what make it fun.

Crazygirl, this is a 1/12 Tamiya Porsche 935.

Mitchel-

Great build. I had a great time with mine and would be happy to forward any photos my build that you may want. I am not one to hijack somebody else's thread so unless you ok it I will not post photos of my build. Some of these parts do not look stock such as the front shocks. Are you using an accessory kit other than Tamiya?

Hi Pete, i would be really happy if you would share your picture in this thread. On this kit, just building it box stock since it's really difficult to find any aftermarket part for the 935 now. Just going to add a lot of detailing through the research that I have on hand. This kit is the later model that came with Tamiya's own PE parts. Not much PE other than some small details like fuel neck, rotor and seat belts. Shock is stock from the kit.

Hi Pete, i would be really happy if you would share your picture in this thread. On this kit, just building it box stock since it's really difficult to find any aftermarket part for the 935 now. Just going to add a lot of detailing through the research that I have on hand. This kit is the later model that came with Tamiya's own PE parts. Not much PE other than some small details like fuel neck, rotor and seat belts. Shock is stock from the kit.

My build started with the Scale Motorsport detail set and just got silly from there. It took me three years to complete it. Since you are up going to do the engine next I will throw some photos of that up first. One of the real problems with the Porsche model is that if you do a killer job most of the work is hidden by the body work. To counter this, I cut up a separate chassis and made it as a display and detailed the bottom of engine that was in the car.

Here is the cutup chassis

enginestand_zps180ad5a0.jpg

finished engine

spareengine.jpg

engine.jpg

This is my favorite shot of the whole build.

spareengine2.jpg

spareenginebottom.jpg

I'll Throw up some more tomorrow.

tks for sharing Pete. I totally understand what you meant about the motor on a Porsche, it is hidden. But your pictures will help me in detailing the can't see piece. After this one is done, might have to do more wiring on the complete 934.

got the coolers and the turbo mounted on tonight. Here it is. Almost got all the parts on, now it's time to start the detailing and the weathering process.

Very nice Mitchell! The weathering looks very nice. When I built mine I assumed that the air boxes and piping was plastic. I later found a photo that shows them as bare metal. They look like cast aluminum.

Ok, one last set and I'm done, after all this is Mitchell's thread not mine.

These are the hood pins out of the SMS set. You have to drill out the snap ring holes.

hoodpin.jpg

This is what they look like when they are mounted.

DSCN0068.jpg

Finally shots of the completed model

Leftfrontquarter-1.jpg

leftside-1.jpg

leftrear.jpg

No problem, this thread is open to anyone interested in the building of the 935. Your pictures has been a great help for me. Almost got the motor done today, just some minor detailing needed. Then it's the wiring in the chassis. I can see that it would be a pain in the rear end getting everything done.

the work is absolutely inspiring. I have to ask why the rear chassis cross member had to be cut. Is that scale or a function of the SM upgrade???

thanks,

joe.

Joe- I think you may be talking about my photo of the engine on a stand. I cut the chassis cross member off just to show the work on the engine. If I had left it in place it would have blocked the front of the engine and all the turned metal pieces would have been hidden. There is a very slight fit issue with the turbo heat shield. It needs to be very precise. Hiding all that work just wasn't in the cards for the display.

Joe- I think you may be talking about my photo of the engine on a stand. I cut the chassis cross member off just to show the work on the engine. If I had left it in place it would have blocked the front of the engine and all the turned metal pieces would have been hidden. There is a very slight fit issue with the turbo heat shield. It needs to be very precise. Hiding all that work just wasn't in the cards for the display.

Thank you for the response. I agree, hiding that work would have been a shame.

Regards,

joe.

Large kit has issues just like small kit has it's own set of limitation. But with these big scale, the details can really be brought out to shine.Just a few small details to be put on and then some tweaking then I will call this car done, Pulled out my 1/12 Rosso NSX already. that one is up next. And thinking of some crazy stuff to do it. In truth, this kit is so well engineered especially it came out in the late 70's.The few issues with this kit, the window frame engineering is sort of strange and difficult to put on. Some of the rubber pieces are weak (they tend to break into pieces), I disconnect the steering since it wouldn't last past a few turns. If the steering gears and linkage can be built in metal, then it will be amazing. Other than that, it is great kit.