Model Cars Magazine Forum

'74 El Camino - Finished ! 8-26-14

On 6/5/2014 at 1:05 AM, charlie8575 said:

Very nice work, Bob.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks Charlie !

I managed to get a couple of hours in last week and I got the trim on the body . This is my first attempt at this kind of stuff and it's not perfect , like the top corners at the A - pillars should be rounded instead of square . I purposely glue the trim on top of primer so I could redo my mistakes , I figured that if it was glued to bare plastic it would be near impossible to remove . And several pieces were redone more than once . . . this IS as hard as I thought it would be !

I'm also working on the rear window panel and the bumpers , but no photos yet .

Thanks for stopping by !

Edited by TooOld

Really nice work getting the body shapes right. I also like the trims you added. I've been afraid of the same thing as I should do it on a '61 Chevy Resin Body... What size styrene did you use?

Really nice work getting the body shapes right. I also like the trims you added. I've been afraid of the same thing as I should do it on a '61 Chevy Resin Body... What size styrene did you use?

Thanks Niko , by the time I was done I had gotten the hang of it and won't be afraid to try it on another build !

For the trim around the windows and wheel arches I used .030" half round , but I think it's still a little too big . I'm going to sand the crown flat a bit and see if that helps . If they make .020" half round I'll try that next time !

Around the bed is .030" x .040" strip .

On 6/13/2014 at 9:38 AM, Road Runner 79 said:

Very nice work Bob.

Thanks Pat !

Just a small update : After a little trimming the floorboard from the AMT '68 El Camino fit right into place . The separate frame locates to the floor with molded in pins . When I extended the wheelbase on the body I made sure it matched this frame .

I had to trim about 1/16" from the bottom of the firewall to make it fit . The inner fenders were molded to the '68 body and had to be cut off , they fit pretty good with just a little sanding .

I'm going to use the suspension from the AMT kit and I've got a small block / 4 speed from my parts box , so I'm ready to start getting serious with building this ! I've got some tires from Fireball Modelworks for it , but I'm still searching for some wheels I like . And I still have to fit the door panels to the inside of the body , and modify the dash and seats ( I'm using the Revell Monte Carlo ones but they look like garbage . And the bumpers aren't finished yet . And I want to hinge the hood . WOW , lots of things left to do . . . time to get to work !

Oh , I finished the rear window frame too , so that about finishes the body .

Edited by TooOld

Bob, the body is looking great with the trim around the bed and the back window done. Nice that the AMT 68 works as a donor, going to have some nice detail with that frame and suspension.

Was your 1:1 a factory 4-speed? Those were pretty scarce, production-wise.

Bob, the body is looking great with the trim around the bed and the back window done. Nice that the AMT 68 works as a donor, going to have some nice detail with that frame and suspension.

Was your 1:1 a factory 4-speed? Those were pretty scarce, production-wise.

Thank you Robert !

Mine had a 350 with a TH350 trans , while I had the engine out I decided to put in a M21 that I had in the garage . Probably not the best decision for a work truck but it was lots of fun ! I remember driving a new '74 with a 454 / 4 - spd and really liked it except the extra weight of the big block was really noticeable .

On 6/17/2014 at 10:05 AM, Danno said:

Sweet.

Thanks Danno !

I spent about two hours today adjusting the fit of the engine compartment , time flies when you're having fun !

I removed the A/C Evaporator case and replaced it with a blower / heater case I found , and I fit a radiator and shroud to the core support ( lots of sanding and fitting here so that the hood would still close ) .

I found these headers in my parts box , I think they came from a Nova kit .

And these are the wheels I'm using . I don't care for the chrome so I'm going to spray them with some semi-gloss clear , if that doesn't work I'll strip them and spray with Alcad II .

Edited by TooOld