Model Cars Magazine Forum

What we do for our hobby...

l have had some strange looks also in the doll house section buying a hanfull of items at hobby lobby. Also get that look at walgreens buying make up applicators for detail work. l am just glad l don't have to get anything in the Kotex isle....

Heard that Kotex make good polishing clothes!!

Kotex.. reminds me of when I worked in a convenience store as a teen. I'd be at the register and some poor young girl would quietly slip a pack up on the counter, hoping to get out of there with minimal embarassment. The store would be fairly busy with a line at the register, I'd hold the pack up and yell across the store to my co-worker, "Hey Doug, how much are these?" He'd yell back, "Regular or Extra Absorbant?" About three exchanges later I'd get the price and ring it up. The girl would nearly be under the counter at that point. Hey, we were kids!

l have had some strange looks also in the doll house section buying a hanfull of items at hobby lobby. Also get that look at walgreens buying make up applicators for detail work. l am just glad l don't have to get anything in the Kotex isle....

This may change your mind ! I live in Idaho and am a die-hard snowmobiler, I carry Tampons in my back pack at all times....

YOU ASK WHY ? Survival. If you get a bloody nose, push one in and pull the rip cord. We also use them to start fires. Hold the string and dip it into the gas tank, toss on some wood and light it up. The thing will burn for 10 minutes on it's own..And i buy them all by myself!

As for the tampons, they were also used in the early wars to plug bullet holes. I have yet to master the airbrush, once I do I will be buying more nail polish. As for the doll house and jewelry I'm looking over that stuff too, one because I got my wife one of those houses. Second I'm looking for parts.

For the record, I'm pushing 30 and I don't care what people think. Someone is always going to have an opinion about you, might as well make it a good one lol

If I need an item from the jewelry making section or dollhouse section, I always make my girlfriend pretend like she is one who needs to roam the aisle. And then I give her money to make the purchase. Drives her nuts. I shouldn't be embarrassed. But I am. In fact, I've never told one single friend that I build models. All my guy friends would never let me live that down.

If I need an item from the jewelry making section or dollhouse section, I always make my girlfriend pretend like she is one who needs to roam the aisle. And then I give her money to make the purchase. Drives her nuts. I shouldn't be embarrassed. But I am. In fact, I've never told one single friend that I build models. All my guy friends would never let me live that down.

Models.jpg

Edited by Mercman

I think the key words here are " I always make my girlfriend" Since when can you make a girlfriend do anything? :o

Ha! That is funny! Yeah, maybe I do need some new friends. But in their defense, they don't know about my hobbies so they've never had the chance to laugh at me. But I know they would. And that's fine. I laugh at them too.

My friends have known for years that I build, and they are amazed at what I can do with different things. I finally got my wive to get over it also when I would get into some strange areas of the stores. Also it didn't help that I was manager of a small craft store back in the 80's. Amazing the things you can do with all of the beads, and bangles.

BTW no offense for the pic.

guys, you have to have fun with this stuff !! before i was married, would head to the local drug store where this really cute girl worked. looking for nail polish, she strolled down the isle as i was lookiing, she gave me "the look". then the fun began, i looked at her and said "excuse me, but does this color clash with my eyes?" she looked at me, then proceeded to tell me that this color would be better, we talked, i told her what it was for and we dated for 6 months.

if someoone give you that "look" turn it right back on them, they wont know what to do!! cant tell you the fun i have had with my psoriasis !!

this one isnt a public thing, but how many of your wives/girlfriends have heard you making engine noises when checking out the stance of a build?

My friends have known for years that I build, and they are amazed at what I can do with different things. I finally got my wive to get over it also when I would get into some strange areas of the stores. Also it didn't help that I was manager of a small craft store back in the 80's. Amazing the things you can do with all of the beads, and bangles.

BTW no offense for the pic.

Trust me. No offense taken. I loved it. I emailed it immediately to my girlfriend and she had a good laugh too. I know I shouldn't be embarrassed by my hobbies. I have a huge telescope. I love to play chess. Right now, I'm building a big model train layout. I have models in various stages of completion around the living room and spare bedroom. Whenever company is coming over, I hide every tiny bit of evidence of it. For me, it's a solitary hobby. And that's why I hang out here. You guys are my only modeling friends.

I've never done it myself, but I imagine that going to the makeup aisle to buy a couple of bottles of nail polish can be a little awkward... :P

Try doing that with your wife and someone overhears you ask her as you are picking out colours for a two tone paint job, "What do you think of this colour" Do you think that it will clash?" Older women scowl - younger ones smirk.. :wacko: The problem is no one would believe me if I tried to explain...