Model Cars Magazine Forum

Autocar Holmes wrecker

This is my second contribution for the "Tractor Trailer" Community build. Truck has been done, but due to Photo Bucket not playing nicely, pictures are just now getting posted.

Started with an AMT Autocar dumptruck and lengthened the chassis (should have reinforced it a little looking at the pictures...I think it adds character!!!!) This was originally going to be made using the Revell Kenworth/ Century wrecker body, but I stumbled on a "First Gear" diecast 1/25 Holmes/Napa wrecker for next to nothing....so....plans changed. Stripped the diecast down to the bare wrecker body and found out the wheel well openings didn't match the spread of the rear axle set up on the Autocar. I then cut the wrecker body between the wheel wells and added a quarter inch. Filled in with sheet styrene and covered with Plastruct diamond tread. Autocar cab was built per instructions with some cab details added...two way radio on dash, radiator cap added to grill, swapped motors with a Diamond Reo to give me the turbo charged version...then added plumbing and wiring based on an Autocar sales brochure that I found.Italeri super single tires fit perfectly on the Autocar rims, sleeper cam from the AMT Peterbilt 359 kit. Also added the drawbar from the Peterbilt wrecker as the diecast didn't have anything. Added the correct tail lights to wrecker body using Evergreen tubing and "jewels" from the jewelry section at Michaels.

All paint is Testors Model Masters laquers. White as a base...yellow and green stripes are painted...the red stripe is Detail masters tape.

Extra details include the air compressor and torch setup from WT Garage. Wrecker details in back include, scratchbuilt traffic cones, step blocks and lumber, and buckets of absorbent. Antennas are fine wire and solder wire. Scratchbuilt "rookie poles" on bumper....

Thanks for looking.....

557A.jpg559A.jpg561A.jpg563A.jpg

• 3 months later...